Thread: 3 inch diaper pins

Default 3 inch diaper pins

I am going to order somemore diaper pins and am thinking of getting the 3 inch ones from Baby Pants. I have read that they are not only longer than baby diaper pins, but that each "leg" of the pin is wider also.

Will they tend to hurt or weaken the diaper fabric by making a larger hole in the diaper? I am using the flat cloth diapers from ACD.

Thank you.

Have you tried baby pins? I use the colored baby pins from ACD and they work fine. I, too, have heard that the large-diameter pins are harder on diapers, but I think it depends somewhat on the weave of the fabric. The gauze-weave ACD diapers are very pinable; the pins just glide right through. If you have trouble putting the larger pins through, rub the pin on the top of your head to get some oils on it and see if that helps. Another trick is to store your pins in a bar of soap. If you still find yourself having to push hard to get the pins through, then you're probably best not to, as you probably do risk popping some threads.

EDIT: You can get baby pins at most drugstores or fabric stores, so if you find that the big ones don't work so well, just go get some of the small ones and you'll be fine.
    EDIT#2: I see you mentioned "some more" diaper pins, so I ought to have assumed that you're acquainted with the baby diaper pins. My bad.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 27-Nov-2011 at 01:46.

I've actually never had any problems with using the 3" pins before. I haven't noticed any material falling apart on either the gauze or the birds eye material to be honest. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think you'll be fine using the larger pins.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerR View Post
    I've actually never had any problems with using the 3" pins before. I haven't noticed any material falling apart on either the gauze or the birds eye material to be honest. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think you'll be fine using the larger pins.
    Just watch out for the twill-weave diapers, if you try them. They're fantastic diapers and I like them a lot, but I do wish they were more pinable. Even with baby pins, I find that the hair/soap trick is not just a help, it's almost required! This particular diaper fabric is probably best for Snappis and pocket diapers. But! ... I'm sticking with pins (no pun intended).

pottypanties

I use these all the time. The diapers I wear nowaday most often are Purity gauze. If I wear my old cotton diapers (Priva, no longer made) they do not enter the cloth very good. I have not noticed any fabric damage to my diapers