Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about the AMD A Series?

Default Anyone know anything about the AMD A Series?

I am looking at a computer with an AMD A6-3600 in it, and I want to know some of the details on it. I do know it has a very similar GPU to the ATI 550 in it, but I want to know more about some performance with it.

My Main Uses would be:
    • Gaming
    • Game Development
    • Web Development
    • Homework/Claswork
    • Other random stuff

So, would the AMD A6-3600 be useable in those applications?

Don't have any specific experience with it, but it looks like your standard lower end AMD. Probably fine for dev, homework, and "other random stuff" .. probably passable but not great for gaming.

Summary of the specs: 2.1-2.4GHz, 64 bit, quad core, goes up to 70.5 deg C, 65W TDP.

I'd say that if it is good for gaming, you'd need very low settings, but looks fine for everything else. Just keep in mind that for gaming you'll likely need more ram, and a dedicated graphics card, in most cases the on-board gfx just doesn't handle games very well.

(f you'd like to post the computer you're planning on buying here I'm sure many of us including myself would be more than happy help you further on the other aspects of the system, and how they'd work in the applications you'd like to use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    Summary of the specs: 2.1-2.4GHz, 64 bit, quad core, goes up to 70.5 deg C, 65W TDP.

I'd say that if it is good for gaming, you'd need very low settings, but looks fine for everything else. Just keep in mind that for gaming you'll likely need more ram, and a dedicated graphics card, in most cases the on-board gfx just doesn't handle games very well.

(f you'd like to post the computer you're planning on buying here I'm sure many of us including myself would be more than happy help you further on the other aspects of the system, and how they'd work in the applications you'd like to use it for.
    Well, the computer I am looking at is This One.

It has the A6-3600 in it, as well as 8GB of ram and a 1 TB HDD. It seems like a decent deal, though I might get a dedicated GPU for it. I am looking at an ASUS that my friend got. His is an ASUS Radeon HD 6670. Seems like a decent card, after all, it can run Crysis :P

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    Well, the computer I am looking at is This One.

It has the A6-3600 in it, as well as 8GB of ram and a 1 TB HDD. It seems like a decent deal, though I might get a dedicated GPU for it. I am looking at an ASUS that my friend got. His is an ASUS Radeon HD 6670. Seems like a decent card, after all, it can run Crysis :P
    I dunno dude, if you are serious about gaming I would look into building it yourself. One fatal flaw with OEM systems is they usually have fairly weak and low quality power supplies, limiting potential upgrade capabilities. You could build a computer yourself for that kind of money with more quality parts and maybe even get a little better performance.

Also, all things considered, a Radeon 6670 is a pretty low end GPU if you really want decent gaming performance. I'd look into spending a little more and getting something like a Radeon 6850 instead.

I would've made some different choices now than I did when I made my current build, but that's over with
    This is most of my build

For a budget build I would do something like this (You might want to do a bit more research on the graphics cards, I just chose one that seems decent but I'm in a bit of a rush here :P)

Wish List.htm

That's the link to the page with all the links on it, I put it all on a newegg wishlist, but it wouldn't let me make it public. I'll try again later and add in the link if I can, but this should work out just as well since it has all the links in it, just open it in any web browser.

If it's any help, I use a HP laptop with an AMD E-350 "APU" as my main work machine at the mo. The E series are, if I follow AMD's product range correctly, the less powerful laptop version of the A series.

For general Office usage it's absolutely fine, and in fact I was presently surprised by how perky it felt when I first got it. It does chuck a little though when I throw CPU heavier stuff at it, like rendering pages in SharePoint Designer for example, so I suspect it probably wouldn't handle games very well. It can also feel a bit sluggish in Visual Studio Web Developer at times as well.
    Graphics-wise it can run Windows 7's Aero effect on a 1080p screen over HDMI just fine, or over a couple of monitors on a desk just as well.

If you're really into the games stuff, I'd suggest firstly increasing your budget, and secondly building your own system. All other reasons aside, you'll get much more bang for your buck if you sacrifice the warrenty and go it alone!

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf3188 View Post
    I dunno dude, if you are serious about gaming I would look into building it yourself. One fatal flaw with OEM systems is they usually have fairly weak and low quality power supplies, limiting potential upgrade capabilities. You could build a computer yourself for that kind of money with more quality parts and maybe even get a little better performance.

Also, all things considered, a Radeon 6670 is a pretty low end GPU if you really want decent gaming performance. I'd look into spending a little more and getting something like a Radeon 6850 instead.

I checked the PSU in this one, at my local best buy, and it is actually a 400W PSU, and judging by what the rest of the machine uses, I estimate well over 100-200W left over for use. It is, after all, more of a barebones computer, from what the guy told me in the store. It has modders in mind.

As for the GPU, I will stick with a 6670. I am not the hardcore gamer type. I play minecraft, portal, etc. I am not the guy who is playing something that requires you to have a supercomputer.

I hear AMD is getting outclassed by Intel lately, but besides that, +1 post count I guess!