Thread: Australian PM

Default Australian PM

Does anyone from Australia here actually like the PM and the Carbon Tax?

I know this may sound like trolling however I am just curious about what this community thinks about politics, and does here anyone here follow Australian politics?

I'm Aussie and no I certainly don't like her, as she always seems very disingenuous. However I would take her over the sleezo Tony Abbott any day, he is a right royal prick!

Carbon tax its really difficult to form an opinion on, a lot of competing information. Some experts believe it will be a good thing others do not, doesn't really seem to be any particularly reliable source of information. Hopefully it will have some effect on pollution reduction, and reduced deforestation but who knows.

Anyway welcome to ADISC.

I think Abbott may look like a prick, but I think hes has the knowledge and understanding of real word events and the effect they have on the country.

The problem with the PM is that she doesn't really tackle the countries issues, and relies on the media to inform her on issues (watch the house of reps for a couple of days and you'll see my point). A good example of this is the Qantas thing that happened a couple of weeks ago. She only acted when it was to late, and the fact that Tony Abbott said something 3 weeks before tells me he would be a better PM.

Neither of the major parties will be getting my vote any time soon. The Liberals social policies are horrendous and Labor have shown zero backbone in recent years.

as Walter would say "Bunch of fuckin' amateurs"

Unfortunately I've found myself becoming more and more interested in politics since Gillard took over. She had a promising start, and there should really be no doubt that she'll be the lesser of two evils when Abbott's in the picture (Abbott being our answer to Bush, perhaps just a bit more literate).

Regarding the carbon tax, it's just sad that so many Australians fail to comprehend (thanks to Abbott's fear campaign ) that the tax will primarily affect the giant mining conglomerates and other such similar industries which recklessly use undeniably world damaging, and frankly unnecessary, carbon.

Low income Aussie households have NOTHING to fear, as the tax is in relation to income; richer Australian's who can actually afford the tax are kicking up a fuss because they'll be charged more relative to the amount of money they earn, which in my humble opinion is entirely fair (what's that? soccer mum with two 4wd's doesn't want to acknowledge the environment?), and less well off Aussie's are pissed because they don't make enough of an effort to find and comprehend the facts, that they will barely be effected at all by the tax. Instead of rationally looking at the facts people find it easier to yell incomprehensibly at politicians.

On the subject of Gillard, what really convinced me that she needs to get the hell out of Canberra is her shocking opinion on gay marriage. Calling for a conscience vote? Honey, you're meant to be representing the opinion of Australia, a nation which over the past three years has consistently voted in favour of the equal rights your atheist, unmarried, outdated opinion is getting in the way of. This isn't a matter of "Julia's Choice", wake up change with the rest of us. Guh.

Quote Originally Posted by daveindahood View Post
    Regarding the carbon tax, it's just sad that so many Australians fail to comprehend (thanks to Abbott's fear campaign ) that the tax will primarily affect the giant mining conglomerates and other such similar industries which recklessly use undeniably world damaging, and frankly unnecessary, carbon.

Low income Aussie households have NOTHING to fear, as the tax is in relation to income; richer Australian's who can actually afford the tax are kicking up a fuss because they'll be charged more relative to the amount of money they earn, which in my humble opinion is entirely fair (what's that? soccer mum with two 4wd's doesn't want to acknowledge the environment?), and less well off Aussie's are pissed because they don't make enough of an effort to find and comprehend the facts, that they will barely be effected at all by the tax. Instead of rationally looking at the facts people find it easier to yell incomprehensibly at politicians.
    The thing is, those big companies pass on the cost of the tax to the consumer (how else are they to survive?). As most of the companies that are going to get taxed are actually power and oil companies (95 of the top 100). This means that the consumers have to pay more for power and fuel. A shop requires a lot of energy to run and a lot of fuel for trucks, so this means it will cost more to run the store, and this cost is then passed on to the consumer as well (YOU). This is what we call inflation which is why the government is also increasing tax thresh holds and government benefits in an attempt to predict the total rise.

So what does this mean for the average tax payer. They effectively pay that tax twice or more every time you buy something from your local shop (think of this how many warehouses has that item been though before it has gotton on the shelf) or fill up on the car or even just turn on your TV.

I here you say, "but ma, it's saving the planet", well actually it isn't. there has been studies that have proven that carbon, has only increased the global temp by 0.5 degrees in the last 100 years (see this). And doing something now will actually do nothing to global temps (Australia only produces 1.43% of total global emissions) . Also the only thing that really changes is that people pay more, and there is no incentive to find cleaner energy.

Hi Dave, i know how you feel it sucks living at home with your parents, all the sneaking you have to do, i moved out and mum moved to sydney and i still got to sneak around because of my room mate but hes much easier, when i was at home i couldnt resist going down the grocery shop either its just fun.

There is something about Gillard that just don't like :/ Always seems like a bitch.

(Also: Aussie's Unite! - ADISC.org if you Aussie's haven't, Join here ^^)