Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therapy.

Default Therapy.

After many years of struggling with my Asperger's and my schizo-affective disorder with medications alone, I finally decided that seeing a RN for five minutes once every three months was not enough to deal with my constantly misreading social cues, nor was it enough to deal with how easily I slip into feelings of hopeless despair and pathetic self-pity.

I finally decided to start seeing a licensed therapist once a week. I started it yesterday, and I have great hopes that it will help me work through my issues. All of the therapists I have seen in the last decade just wanted to coddle me - I need somebody who can politely call me out on my bullshit, and I believe this guy is more than capable of doing that.

Has anybody else dealt with incompetent therapists before? Sometimes they are mean, but the ones who just want to be friendly can be just as harmful as the ones who are mean, because they really do not know what they are doing for the most part. Then again, everybody I've seen in the last decade with the exception of the new guy were not licensed therapists, but mere counselors, so maybe that makes the difference.

The doctors I saw when I was a young child were licensed, but incompetent. They had no idea why my behavior was so irrational, but they wanted to label me. They diagnosed me with "Pervasive Developmental Disorder". Really. A diagnosis like that can mean anything.

So, this is my latest decision. Some people have questioned it - it seems like mental health services have a bad reputation with some people due to the large number of incompetent people working in that field. But I have confidence that it is going to work this time.

The discussion here is - therapy. Has it worked for anybody here?

Yes. When I was in high school I went to a family psycologist. She said I needed "tough love". Ruined me and the possibility of seeing another shrink because I think they're a waste of time.

I have seen many shrinks in highschool, and they never helped. I do however need another therapist these days and I do not have health insurance or money. you seem to know about getting therapy, maybe you could help? you don't have to if you don't want to. I wish the best of luck with this new therapist.

Yes, I had to see a psychiatrist when I was in college. It was short lived because I didn't like what he was telling me, and I felt guilty eating up my parent's money. Looking back, I realize I needed someone who called me out. Perhaps I could have beaten down my demons, but I doubt it. We are hard wired to experiences some pains over and over again. I must always live with that.

Somehow, I found the strength to move on, marry and start a family. It saved my life. We all are different, and this worked for me, though it may not for others. We all must find our own way. The important thing I learned is that it is sometimes better to listen than talk. Give the doctor a chance before you evaluate. Act on things that would make your life more positive, and dare to take chances.

A good therapist will be able to figure out what kind of approach is needed over a few sessions. Everyone reacts to therapy differently, and it takes a bit to learn enough about a person to guess at an effective approach to helping you. One persons tough love is another persons personal assault. That said, while you shouldn't jump ship to fast don't be afraid to find another therapist if you think one doesn't "get" you. Unlike other doctors you really have to be able to get along and work with your therapist, and the more you like them obviously the better you will respond.

Also counselors are not therapists.Plus, if you are at a clinic with multiple therapists and, your situation is particularly difficult, they will possibly have someone more skilled with your issues, or just more skilled in general to take over. Some disorders are really hard to deal with if you don't have a lot of experience with them in particular, such as certain personality disorders.

Butterfly Mage

It took me several years to get a good therapist. I have dissociative identity disorder (in addition to having the problem that my body doesn't match what my mind think I ought to look like). A lot of counselors (and I mean a LOT) are only equipped to deal with petty things like marital squabbles and teen angst. Most can't deal with heavy-duty problems like PTST or DID.

I had one counselor (briefly) that financially ripped off his patients. Another tried to cure people with the Bible. Still another disbelieved in the existence of DID (despite the fact that she could look it up in print in the DSM-IV).

The counselor I have is pretty good. She has a lot of experience in treating DID and PTSD.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Yes. When I was in high school I went to a family psycologist. She said I needed "tough love". Ruined me and the possibility of seeing another shrink because I think they're a waste of time.
    I really think you need to find the right one. I've encouraged my fiancee to see one for some issues she has for a long time, she was resistant due to some bad experiences with such practitioners when she was a teen. However, she finally found one at her college she loves. Unfortunately, that went away when she left the program. Psychologists are head doctors. If you feel sick and see a doctor, and still feel sick two months later, would you keep seeing that doctor? No. Would you conclude that doctors are a waste of time and stop seeing doctors? Also no (I hope). We should view psychologists and similar practitioners as no different.

I've been seeing a therapist for a few weeks and we get along great. I think it will work out quite well. One of the key things in therapy is you need to be able to trust them completely. I asked my therapist up front if he was ok with kinks and if he wasn't I'd have to find another. Also there are a lot of crappy therapists but there are also great ones out there it just takes a lot of trial and error. Choosing a therapist that is right for you is really hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Another tried to cure people with the Bible. Still another disbelieved in the existence of DID (despite the fact that she could look it up in print in the DSM-IV).
    The bible approach is not suppose to be used at all. A key requirement is being open and accepting of other peoples views, not shoving doctrine down their throats. As for not believing DID, that is actually a common belief even among licensed therapists. They tend to believe it is induced by the therapist on individuals who are very open to suggestion.

I don't know. Im still wondering about getting it for me. I am currently not meeting with a therapist but I wouldn't mind I guess.

I would like to find a therapist that I could discuss it with, but I can't afford it