Page 1 of 25 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: Abena abandons production of plastic backed diapers

Vroeger

Default Abena abandons production of plastic backed diapers

There's some bad news. Save express which is an online store in Germany reported in their newsletter that a Danish producer of incontinence products decided to completely stop the production of plastic backed diapers in 2012. Abena's products I know are made in Denmark, so I contacted Abena about this for further information.

Their response was that indeed the production of plastic backed diapers will completely stop somewhere in 2012. They don't know if that will be in early, mid or late 2012. This means that once the production stops, the popular abri-form diapers with plastic will most likely not be produced ever again and will become rare and more expensive.

I know the m4/l4 diapers are the favorite diapers of many including me, so that's why I'm informing you about this. If it wasn't that I live with my parents and if I could stash them somewhere, I would order about 50 packs for the next five years, or maybe even more. I think this is a waste of what is at this moment still a very good diaper and I'm afraid more producers will follow.

Hmmm... Interesting. Got a link?

It would definitely be unfortunate for those who really want the plastic, but I think it's probably inevitable that all (or most) of the adult diaper makers do this at some point. Since baby diapers are where the vast majority of the world's diaper money (and hence R&D) go, it's natural that new ways of manufacturing diapers would start there and then make their way into other products. There hasn't been a plastic-backed baby diaper on store shelves in the US for ages.

Bambino and ABU are probably safe for a while, of course, since they cater to a "different" group.

I remember the same rumor being around not many years ago, but actually nothing happened in the end. Plastic backed M4s became even better if compared to the X-pluses I bought back in 2008.

Although I must confess that - being myself a big fan of Abenas - this sounds as an awesome excuse to visit Save Express again and earlier than usual, and coming back home with a more-than-massive purchase (), I can't help thinking this could be nothing but a clever marketing policy. Did they give you a reason, in the e-mail they sent you, for stopping the plastic backed diapers' production? Why would they discontinue a product line that is hugely appreciated worldwide?

Quote Originally Posted by quattrus View Post
    Why would they discontinue a product line that is hugely appreciated worldwide?
    (Assuming they are doing this, which is not 100% clear...) If having the plastic back is what makes the diaper viable for your purpose, then I suppose such a change could be construed as "discontinuing." However, from the manufacturer's standpoint, a change like this would likely be regarded as an improvement to an existing product, and one that they think/hope most customers will appreciate. Unfortunately for the AB/DL crowd, we are a "drop in the bucket" of their customer base, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    one that they think/hope most customers will appreciate. Unfortunately for the AB/DL crowd, we are a "drop in the bucket" of their customer base, so to speak.
    I don't think ABDLs are the only ones that appreciate plastic backed diapers: judging from their positioning in online medical retailers' sites I'd say they look as the best-sellers. For sure a big company like Abena must have done some market research before deciding such a change in their production, but in any case even if they were to discontinue plastic-backed diapers I guess (or at least I hope...) they'll be back sooner or later by popular demand as soon as the company realizes the drop in their sales caused by part of their customers switching to other brands still carrying plastic-backed products. If I recall correctly, I've read more than once that cloth backing makes diapers less performant than their plastic-backed equivalents, as when saturation is reached wetness starts to seep through the backing...

I've read more than once that cloth backing makes diapers less performant than their plastic-backed equivalents, as when saturation is reached wetness starts to seep through the backing...
    Yeah. Hopefully, if they make the change, it will be well-implemented and won't reduce performance. I believe that has happened with the cloth-backed baby diapers (if there were general problems with cloth and leaking, parents wouldn't tolerate it for long!). Actual performance, not cloth/plastic backing, will be the reason most customers change brands if they do.

Vroeger

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Hmmm... Interesting. Got a link?

It would definitely be unfortunate for those who really want the plastic, but I think it's probably inevitable that all (or most) of the adult diaper makers do this at some point. Since baby diapers are where the vast majority of the world's diaper money (and hence R&D) go, it's natural that new ways of manufacturing diapers would start there and then make their way into other products. There hasn't been a plastic-backed baby diaper on store shelves in the US for ages.

Bambino and ABU are probably safe for a while, of course, since they cater to a "different" group.
    No, unfortunately I can't give a link to any page on the internet about this. All I know is from the Save express newsletter and another e-mail from Abena. Here is what it said in the newsletter:

- Ein Hersteller aus Dänemark hat vor, ab Anfang des Jahres 2012 die Produkte alle auf Cotton Feel umzustellen . Hierzu soll auch die Zweitmarke gehören. Die Umstellung aller Produkte soll bis etwa Mai 2012 erfolgt sein komplett.

And this is what Abena told me:

Ik heb contact gehad met Denemarken waar onze producten worden gemaakt.
    Het is inderdaad zo dat in 2012 alleen nog maar cotton feel producten worden gemaakt.
    Of dat begin, midden of eind 2012 is, is niet bekend.

I remember the same rumor being around not many years ago, but actually nothing happened in the end. Plastic backed M4s became even better if compared to the X-pluses I bought back in 2008.

Although I must confess that - being myself a big fan of Abenas - this sounds as an awesome excuse to visit Save Express again and earlier than usual, and coming back home with a more-than-massive purchase (), I can't help thinking this could be nothing but a clever marketing policy. Did they give you a reason, in the e-mail they sent you, for stopping the plastic backed diapers' production? Why would they discontinue a product line that is hugely appreciated worldwide?
    Well I can only hope that nothing will happen again this time.

There was no reason given as to why they would stop producing the plastic backed diapers. Probably the demand shrunk when they introduced the air-plus version. It appears so I've heard, that most of the incontinent users of these products prefer the cotton feel.

I don't think ABDLs are the only ones that appreciate plastic backed diapers: judging from their positioning in online medical retailers' sites I'd say they look as the best-sellers. For sure a big company like Abena must have done some market research before deciding such a change in their production, but in any case even if they were to discontinue plastic-backed diapers I guess (or at least I hope...) they'll be back sooner or later by popular demand as soon as the company realizes the drop in their sales caused by part of their customers switching to other brands still carrying plastic-backed products. If I recall correctly, I've read more than once that cloth backing makes diapers less performant than their plastic-backed equivalents, as when saturation is reached wetness starts to seep through the backing...
    There's a chance that something like that could happen, but as you said, I do think Abena must have done market research. Tena decided to stop producing plastic backed diapers about a year ago or something, and when many people started to complain, they decided to produce both versions again. I think Abena knows that and doesn't want to make the same mistake. I hope they do though, I really do.

I really hope this isn't true - I've recently switched to the X-Plus (M4) and it's awesome. Not sure if there are any viable alternatives available in the UK - we can't get cushies here (not cheaply enough for 24/7 use) and the other options just suck.

Is it worth starting a petition?

Cherub

If memory serves me correctly, according to the XP-Medical website; a while back didn't they also say Abena had stopped the plastic backed X-plus? Then some time later XP-Medical was selling them again. I actually do remember seeing XP-Medical advertise that the X-plus with plastic backing was once again available.

So that tells me that something happened that caused Abena to resume production of the plastic backed diapers. If they really are stopping plastic backed diaper production, I hope they will do as they did before, and resume production. However, I am just as curious as to what reason they have or what reason they are citing as the explanation of stopping the production of the plastic backed diaper.

I guess I have just a few questions. First, about the M4, will it continue to be produced, but just as a cloth backed diaper? Will it remain as thick as it is? Will it remain the same size? Second, who makes the dry 24/7? Is that an Abena product as well? Is it going to suffer the fate of cloth backing?

It would be foolish for them to do something like this if they didn't have a comparable product in development/testing. Hopefully they have addressed the needs for the diaper that fills the massive gap that will be left behind. Otherwise perhaps Molicare will steal market share at the very least among the ABDL community.