Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtube - saving video clips

Question Youtube - saving video clips

Does anyone know an easy way to save content from a youtube video clip, preferably in a format that can be edited afterwards. I am doing a presentation on Friday and I need a few clips to include.

Much appreciated !

If you're using a Mac you can just watch the video then go to Window->Activity Monitor and drag the biggest entry to your desktop. If you're using Linux and Firefox you can copy the video file from your 'cache' folder (if you clear your cache, then go to the page, it will almost certainly be the biggest file in the cache folder). This might work on Windows but I'm not sure.

Depending on the video and the quality you are viewing you would either get an FLV (flash video) or MP4. Both are easily convertible to other formats

Hope that helps

I am not sure the 'legality' of this. If it is too questionable, i apologize and expect this suggestion will be removed.

Download Online Videos Save Direct Easily - Savevid.com

Will allow you to download it as an MP4 or 3gp or FLV. If you have quicktime installed i believe most video editors will convert an MP4 to almost anything. I use Sony Vegas and it works for converting.

I've had a lot of luck with the DownloadHelper plugin for Firefox. I use Linux, but I'm fairly certain it works on Windows. If you want to edit it, you'll probably need to convert the video into something more appropriate that your preferred editing tool understands. I think DownloadHelper actually has a built in tool to do this.. but I've always used other tools (ffmpeg).

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Should add, it's always important to credit sources and get permission to use content. If this is just a school presentation it's _probably_ not a huge deal if you just say "downloaded from youtube from <whoever>".. but just felt I should throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by IantheFox View Post
    DVDVideoSoft.com: Download free DVD, iPod, YouTube video converter and editor software and freeware

I don't think I'd be able to live without it. Use it responsibly, don't pirate music and what-not.
    i second this, and third this.

Um...well I would've thought the most obvious would be Youtube Downloader. It can dowload the video to your computer as a .flv (flash video) then convert it to a MOV, MP3, MP4, 3GP, WMV and AVI :3

Hope this helps

Ghjkl

I use mediaconverter.org. If it doesn't work, ask me. It only works for me some of the time.

It even lets you choose the file type!

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I've had a lot of luck with the DownloadHelper plugin for Firefox. I use Linux, but I'm fairly certain it works on Windows. If you want to edit it, you'll probably need to convert the video into something more appropriate that your preferred editing tool understands. I think DownloadHelper actually has a built in tool to do this.. but I've always used other tools (ffmpeg).

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Should add, it's always important to credit sources and get permission to use content. If this is just a school presentation it's _probably_ not a huge deal if you just say "downloaded from youtube from <whoever>".. but just felt I should throw that out there.
    I have used Download Helper for years and really like it. I'd recommend it.