Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What defines whether you're left handed or right handed?

Default What defines whether you're left handed or right handed?

Fairly random, but Let me continue before you just say it's strictly writing, and then think about it, and ultimately decide. :P

I have always called myself left handed, but I do a lot of things normally done by right handed people. I keep my keys on the right side of my jeans, my pens in my right pocket, use most tools in my right hand (depending on the circumstances), etc. but I write with my left hand, and trying to write with my right hand is an illegible mess.

So in your opinion, is it defined only by which hand you write with, or is it defined in some other way?

For me I'd say that I'm mostly right-handed, but that's only because almost everything I do is done better with my right. There are some things that I do better with my left of course (e.g. bowling, arm-wrestling) I'm never right or left handed 100% of the time. I'd say that I'm both.

Strictly speaking, i'd say that it's just which hand you write with.
    that said, a lot of people can do a lot of things with the opposite hand. for example: lots and LOTS of gamers (computer) use the left hand keyboard and right hand mouse technique. a lot of people text only with their left hand when they're right handed (and vice versa), etc.

people do things with their inferior hand all the time in every day life, so it could be said that everyone is ambidextrous to an extent.
    if you're talking about technicalities however, just say which hand you write with.

The only time I use my left hand is:

1) Like ZakRoo above me said, I use the left hand keyboard and right hand mouse technique
    2) Carry my school books/notebooks

I can't do anything else with my left hand. If I try bowling with my left hand, watch out, I'm already suckish with my right :/

And I have no idea what determines whether you're a lefty or a righty. But I would have to guess that something in your brain (probably subconscious) when you're little says "Use your right/left hand."

I switch hands writing when one gets tired it looks worse than a second graders writing either way. But I suppose eye dominance is what sets you in stone as righty or lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyBenjamin View Post
    I switch hands writing when one gets tired it looks worse than a second graders writing either way. But I suppose eye dominance is what sets you in stone as righty or lefty.
    Please explain further. The eyesight in my left eye is better than that of my right (right eye's still decent, but still...), but I'm full-out righty.

Oh okey eye dominance is wich eye presents the same image as when using both eyes. when sighting a rifle you close one eye to look throgh iron sights. to test which eye is dominant cue up your finger with a still object. then close one eye at a time. the one that stays lined up is your dominant eye the one that allows you to see around your finger isn't.

I suppose eye dominance is what sets you in stone as righty or lefty.
    Certainly isn't in my case. I have severe strabismus (crossing eyes), so I get crossed vision paths, and double vision often, so I doubt that's it in my case.

Oh okey eye dominance is wich eye presents the same image as when using both eyes. when sighting a rifle you close one eye to look throgh iron sights. to test which eye is dominant cue up your finger with a still object. then close one eye at a time. the one that stays lined up is your dominant eye the one that allows you to see around your finger isn't.
    i have 20/10 vision in both eyes. i use my right eye for sighting rifles, but when i did that finger trick it came up as my left eye.
    :I

yes but eye dominance apples to one eye which decides the image seen when both eyes are focused on one object strabismus is when the two eyes do not line up in the same direction, and therefore do not look at the same object at the same time. Usually the none dominant eye would then ad a contrast and be responsible for depth perception more than the viewed image. so if you see the same view of some thing with right eye souly and when both eyes are in focus on an object then you are right handed. And visa versa Is true for left. It is just harder to test since your eyes can't focus on one object. Sorry If the reply was to long.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    i have 20/10 vision in both eyes. i use my right eye for sighting rifles, but when i did that finger trick it came up as my left eye.
    :I
    It happens. people learn to sight right handed without knowing they're left hand dominant all the time because most rifles are righty ont the shell comes out the left side. also vision 20/20 15/20 30/30 I don't care which has nothing to do with eye dominance. and It isn't right 100% of the time just VERY often