Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Eating

Default Healthy Eating

I have always, from a young age, had issues with regularity, and it turns out as I get older I realize it has a lot to do with, of course... nutrition!

After working with a Nutritionist recently, the primary cause of lack of regularity is two things: Lack of Water primarily, then, Lack of Fiber second.

Most people, including myself, have been used to drinking maybe one or two glasses of plain water per day. As it turns out, though, the average human exhales and sweats about 1/2 gallon of water per day! To counteract simply "being dehydrated", the human body - regardless of size, should be consuming one half gallon of water per day. But that's just breaking even! ...

To help your body out in every way and do more than just "Break even" for hydration and not force your organs to slow themselves and slow your metabolism to make up for being dehydrated (which leads to a huge cause of Obesity...) one should drink 3/4 to over a gallon of water per day, to your thirst.

At first, it seems quite filling to think about, but analyze this: The body loses weight mostly in 3 ways: Perspiration, Defacation, and Urination. Now, nobody likes to really think about this, but it's important for your health: Take note next time you urinate, of the color of your urine. The darker yellow / orange your urine is, the more waste your body is struggling to filter out of your system. When you drink more fresh plain water frequently, your urine will not be quite as yellow. The lighter the shade of yellow, that means the less your body is struggling and the cleaner your organs will be, and your kidneys will deserve a much needed break.

So to start off this thread, I'd love to give the advice: Simply drink more water!

Next off, the subject of cleansing - as in, more fiber.

To sum it up - eat more vegetables to start! Vegetables have just as much or more fiber than many grains and starches out there, especially the ones marketed in boxes, bags, or cans! (chips, crackers, snacks, etc.). Grains and startchy products (especially white flour or processed products) are horrible for your poor tummy and slow down your metabolism, so eat more veggies, in all varieties!.

Has anybody else found any good health information on diet and nutrition? Please do share your findings!

I'm always interested in bettering my health!
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 25-Jun-2012 at 01:17.

I've recently gotten more on board with managing my own weight, not that I'm grossly obese but I am a bit overweight and it's something I want to control. The water is for sure a great way to help in more ways then one. One thing I noticed you didn't know or state was that more water intake can reduce headaches. So instead of running to the medicine cabinet reach for a glass and the faucet. Also water helps curb your hunger so you will eat less. I did this last night. My stomach was screaming at me in starvation, even though I had just finished dinner not two hours before, so I went to grab a glass of water, and soon I wasn't hungry in the slightest! So it does work also tracking your intake of food and exercise really helps. And be sure to track the smallest of chores you do, such as going up and down the stairs or even washing the dishes. A great place to do so is Your Personal WebMD Food & Fitness Planner - Weight & Profile and it's FREE. What isn't great about free?

Well it's diet & exercise that help one keep healthy. Personally I prefer the exercise portion of that. :P There's too much good greasy unhealthy food that I just want to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love a good salad, but I may treat myself to McD's a little more often than necessary.

I love to run though. I play sports and go outside pretty much every opportunity I can get. I ran cross country and highschool, so running is rather second nature for me. Helps me keep my lungs and heart and all that jazz healthy. =]

Great! Nice tips! Thanks much.

I'm slowly working on taking short walks, as since about 4 months ago, I was almost 90 lbs overweight (288), my goal range is 190 to 205ish. (I'm 6'1, medium wide shoulders)

I tended a couple times to get um... overzealous and walked several miles the first week and threw out a few joints (back, knees) from overstrain, but I'm doing much better now, milder exercise was needed because of all that darned weight on me bones!

I'm hoping I can keep motivated, also, because a reward will be a better fitting diaper once I can get myself in shape and wear mediums instead of larges! Woohoo!

There are a few things I want to correct that have been said thus far. The first thing I want to address, was the comments about water consumption. Drinking lots of water is always a good thing however, drinking too much water is just as bad as not drinking enough. As you previously said, the best way to determine if you're drinking enough fluids is by looking at your urine output. Obviously, a darkish, yellowish colour is not a very good sign. Again, as you previously said, drinking water until your urine becomes clear is the best indicator that you have enough fluids. Drinking a gallon, or half a gallon, is not the best way to maintain fluids. This is because this value came from the study done after the Second World War on war veterans. It was determined that based upon their calorie intake, roughly a gallon of water was needed to match their energy intake. This study however, did not include the fact that water is produced by the body's natural metabolism. Therefore, it is important to drink water to the point where your urine becomes clear rather than just drinking a gallon of water. On the other side of the scale, drinking too much water can dilute the electrolytes in body and cause all kinds of problems with other organs.

The only other thing to mention with water consumption is that in the morning when you wake up, it will be more concentrated (and thus darkish yellowish) due to the body's natural function. This function is to reduce urine production during the night by concentrating the urine and retaining the water in the body. Therefore, when you wake up in the morning and go to the toilet it will be darkish which is normal.

Exercise is a great thing to do. Not only does maintain your body's natural functions, burn calories, and make you feel good (by releasing neurotransmitters in the brain) but it also helps with regularity of your bowels. Combined with a good diet, exercise will help maintain a healthy body weight and maintain psychological well-being. When you spoke about diet, you mentioned fibre. One thing that people don't realise, is that there are actually three different types of fibre: soluble fibre, non-soluble fibre and undigested starch. These different types of fibre work together to maintain regularity. Soluble fibre, as its name suggests, mixes with water and actually becomes quite thick and sticky. This is the type of fibre, in the small intestines, helps slow digestive absorption and maintaining "the feeling of fullness". In large intestines, it is broken down by bacteria very rapidly and produces short chain fatty acids (SCFA) which the large intestines rapidly absorb and is very good for you. Non-soluble fibre, again as its name suggests, does not mix of water and therefore, clumps together. As a clumps, it causes the digestive tract to stretch and this increases speed at which the contents of a small intestines moves. However, once it reaches the large intestines, it is broken down very slowly by bacteria. It is this type of fibre which contributed to the majority of the bulk of faeces. The last of fibre, undigested starches, are simply sugars which have not been digestive in the small intestines and instead, move through to the large intestines.

The importance of maintaining regularity of the bowels is that it ensures irritants, toxins and carcinogens do not remain in the bowels. Therefore, having a regular habit will reduce the exposure of the bowels to these factors and reduce the risk of bowel cancer.

The last thing I want to mention, was the use of enemas and suppositories. I will caution anyone who uses them that regular use can cause dependence and this will affect your ability to regularly go. On the whole, for young people (including most middle-aged people) enemas will not clean out any residual faeces. The bowel is very effective cleaning itself out unless, someone suffers from diverticula or diverticulitis (this is when small pouches form from the lining of the bowel and this provides a space where faeces can be trapped which can then lead to inflammation which is known as diverticulitis). Using enemas mostly flushes out the good bacteria which is in the bowels and are actually necessary for normal digestion. Even using a water enema causes stretching of the bowel and thus stimulation. Using a suppositories the other hand, actually causes irritation to the lining of the bowel and therefore is a powerful stimulant. Using these two methods of stimulation on an occasional basis is okay. However, caution should always be taken when using these.

Thank you so much for that info! I've learned a lot already coming to these forums, and look forward to expanding my knowledge further!

Regarding the different types of fiber you mentioned, is it a solid conclusion that the products so commonly sold and marketed (especially here in the US) that are white-flour based, and yellow corn based, useless / never required by a human to maintain regularity? I have read several forums and talked to a few nutritionists who are quite gung-ho about abstaining from what is commonly referred to by many, including Dr. Pericone, as "the big four" .... processed sugar/ alcohol / white flour / dairy. The fourth item, dairy, implies that most products with dairy are often processed quite a bit, and the nutrients one might obtain such as Vitamin D, healthy fats, enzymes, good bacteria, etc... are long since killed off / weakened due to the process of pasturization and homogenization?

This of course, applies especially to people like me who are Obese, and have consumed more than excess sugar/alcohol/cheap starchy snacks/dairy products (cream, sweet flavored cheap market brand yogurts, puddings, ice cream, etc).

Lots of advice always seems to go back and properly (as you clarified) properly maintain your hydration, and eat more veggies.

In the US, many nutritionists I'd imagine are so gung-ho on veggies because fresh veggies are so sparse in popular foods.

Before a few months ago, I'd have maybe 1 to 2 servings of veggies every few days.... oopsy :/ Now that I made a habit going out of my way to have a lunch of, for example, raw broccoli and celery and carrots dipped in homemade garlic hummus, and dinners of a small protein serving with a salad (as opposed to past days of beer/pizza, a sandwich full of cheap meat/processed cheeses)... I actually find myself craving my greens!

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

One more thing to note. I'm not a fan of Twilight movies myself, but many people have pointed out that I "had to see New Moon" to see how RIPPED Jacob is.

Admittedly, he's one sexy dude. I wouldn't mind looking like that .

For years, I would have thought that to go from my Obese 288 pound self to losing 80 pounds, and getting a six pack would take about 5 years of working out heavily several hours a day. However, I'm told with proper hydration, a healthy food intake with proper portions, and exercising only an hour a day? (that blew my mind) One would be trim, toned, and start to show a sixpack in under 2 years.

This is quite encouraging. Does that sound accurate?

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Sorry to keep replying, as things keep entering my mind.

I'm now working on refining my diet and most difficult has been abstaining from sugar, as I was hiiiiighly addicted. I was having about 50 plus teaspoons worth a day, now I have 1 tsp of sugar in my coffee or teas, if that, but I'm often even drinking them w/o sugar.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 25-Jun-2012 at 01:18.

well, there seems to be a lot on your mind right now :P anyways, ill try to answer as much of it as i can.

The fibre question that you asked. Im not too sure about the products that you are refering to (as i dont think we have similar products here in australia but i could be wrong). Im going to say it (and a lot of people are probably not going to be too happy about it) but a lot of the 'health' products (such as vitamin supplements, fibre supplements and other such things) actually arent beneficial to us at all. The only time that they are effective is in people who are severely deficient in necessary vitamins or have very little fibre in their diet. These people are (generally speaking) people in thrid world countries where they have no choice but to eat what they get which leave large gaps in their diets. However, for someone from the western society, these vitamins that are taken fron these supplements are processed by the kidney and excreted in the urine which often makes it turn yellowish. Firbe supplements are also the same. If you have a balanced diet and are eating all the food groups appropiately, then regularity should not be an issue for you. However, if you are deficient in fibre (something i doubt you are right now if you are eating plenty of vegetables) then these supplements are a good way to help with regularity.

As for the reason why nutritionist prefer not to have highly processed foods there is actually a very good reason. In these processed foods, the sugar chains are often very short and this means that they can be broken down and absorbed in the intestines very rapidly. If this happens, the level of sugar in your blood will also skyrocket (the thing about our body is that it naturally LOVE sugar and that is why processed foods taste so good). The problem is that if you blood glucose levels jumps rapidly, the body has to quickly process it to bring the level back down again (in other words, it starts making fat as there will be a lot of excess sugar floating around). Then, once you sugar levels drop you start to feel hungry again and you will look for more food to eat. So nutritionist look to find good that are going to release its energy content more slowly (thus slowing absorption of sugar into the blood and preventing huge spikes in the blood levels). This is why food that have high fibre (and generally low GI) keep you fuller for longer as it maintains a steady level of glucose that your body doesnt need to rapidly process.

The part about vitamins and bacteria that are lost in the process of producing dairy products. Im not surprised if this is the case however, i am not actually sure if this is true or not. As a side note however, one thing i do know is that we actually turn cow's milk into something that closely resembles human milk (its not quite the same but that is the one thing that they have been striving for for a while to make it as similar to our own milk as possible). You mentioned vitamin D from milk. Im not sure about its content however, i do know that vitamin D is a very special vitamin. It is the one vitamin that we can actually produce ourselves in our body. This vitamin is produced in the skin by exposure to sunlight. Only about 10-30 minutes of exposure to the sun is required (and remember, avoid 10am-2pm as this is when the suns rays are at its strongest).

Next, you asked about losing weight and looking like the guy off twilight in two years with an hour of exercise a day. Im not exactly sure that sounds accurate to me to be honest but i can imagine that it wouldnt take 5 years of intense workout to lose weight. However, i can imagine that it is highly dependant upon the person and a lot of other factors (such as the type of exercise, specific diet and not to mention the metabolism of the person. So it is a bit hard to say for certain that it is not possible to lose the weight you want to in two years. The thing that you have to realise is that losing weight and putting on muscle bulk are two different processes in the body and require different diets to achieve. Losing weight is all about monitoring your calories and burning more calories then you eat so that fat can be burnt for energy instead. One thing that i can say about this is that exercise for losing fat mostly focuses on literally moving the fat in your body (as moving it causes fat to be mobilised by the body and enter the blood so that it can be used by the body. Basically, the training for losing weight is get the fat moving a lot, then do energy intensive exercise to use the fat that has been released and repeat.

Building muscle on the other hand is a completely different diet. It required high protein intake so that the body can use the protein to build up its own proteins (that is, muscle). Plus the exercise focuses on pushing the body to its limits without causing excessive damage (damage is caused when building muscle, that is part of the process. Damage to the muscle means that the body has to repair it and because it was damaged, the body will make it bigger so that it wont happen next time). That being said, i guess it depends on how 'ripped' you want to be. If you want them so your muscle have a bit of bulge, it probably wont require a special diet to do. But if you want them so that they are pretty decent (not on the scale of body builders here because that is excessive) then the right kind of diet will help that out.

As far as sugar, being a bit careful is always a good thing but moderation is the key. If you only have a couple of coffees/teas a day (we are talking like 2 or maybe 3 at most) then some sugar in it wont be that bad as you are controling the other aspects of your diet. As i said before, being addicted to sugar is actually a normal thing. It is something that has been with us since we found out about fire. Our bodies crave sugar as it is the easiest thing we can digest and quickly turn into energy. The problem is that nowadays, we have way too much of it and it means our body has to turn the excess sugar into fats.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 25-Jun-2012 at 02:53.

I just wanted to throw this out there, as it's been a big pothole for me. I'm not obese by any stretch (199 at 6'0" is over, but not ridiculously so), but I have a beer gut, and the term "beer gut" fits it perfectly.

Any kind of significant caloric consumption (particularly sugars, starches, and/or alcoholic beverages) within a few hours of bedtime = bad, bad, bad news, because none of that energy has the chance to be burned off. It goes straight to storage (fat).

Not saying you can't tie one off once in a while, but I was drinking beer chronically, upwards of a half gallon a night, and it went straight to my belly...

Yes, certain vitamins are destroyed in the pasteurization process of milk - but they're required by law to be added back into the final product sold on store shelves. You're not missing out on anything by drinking regular old milk.

The (small) loss of nutrition value from "cooking" the milk (pasteurizing it is simply heating it to destroy most bacteria) is far outweighed by the risks of not pasteurizing it - to wit, spreading serious bacterial diseases. "Raw" (unpasteurized) milk is responsible for three times more hospitalizations from food poisoning than any other food. (Source:

Milk is extremely easy to contaminate from cow feces, dirty milking equipment, etc. and there's exceptionally good reason as to why pasteurization is required by law in most places, and is generally adhered to everywhere regardless of the law. It keeps the milk safe to drink.