Thread: The wisdom of poetry

Default The wisdom of poetry

I'm not sure if it is just easier for me to express charged topics in poetry or if it is that folks are more likely to accept the message in that format.

Tell me what you think of this.

A man walked out onto his porch,
    the end of his gun burning like a torch.
    Bodies in white sheets hit the ground eyes open,
    racial slurs stuck in their throats not to be spoken.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Tell me what you think of this.
    Salman Rushdie you are not, so safe to say there is not much risk of getting a price upon your head. Still shouldn’t publish your name with that poem least some stray clowns congregate on your lawn behind a burning cross. Think of the damage they would do breaking the white picket fence and pounding your lawn under foot into mud.

I would really like to see where that verse came from (the rest of your poem).

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Salman Rushdie you are not

Once there was a squirrel
    who traveled the world.
    Alas it had to come to an end
    as his quest was to find a friend.
    He ended up in quite the foul mood
    because the people were all rude.
    He exclaimed these people are all butts
    I think I'll just settle foraging for nuts!

It sounds like you've had a rough day. Poetry tends to be an extension of our deepest emotions.

I remember taking creative writing for two years in high school, now that i look back, it amazes me how much students were revealing about their deepest inward thoughts, including myself, I actually wrote one that was specifically based on how i felt eternally trapped as an infantilist, I wish i could show it, but it's in a box at my parents house. Anyhow, i think poetry is a very good way of therapy. I actually plan on practicing Art therapy now, and poetry is one way i plan on doing it, more specifically with ceramics, but that is another story.
    Anyhow, yeah i think it is easier in ways to express a charged topic through poetry, but in order for somebody to really get the message you want, it usually needs to convey emotions or underlying meanings, which makes expressing a charged topic through poetry actually kind of challenging.

There’s a line between being so esoteric in one’s emotional outpour that no message is really available to the audience and being so blunt and plain that the art is lost altogether. In tremendous shallowness I usually look at poetry like a puzzle, where if I can figure it out the first time it was probably too simple and if ten tries later I’ve discovered nothing at all then the poet was most likely helplessly lost in the sound of their own voice. Barring that, some offerings are enjoyable enough with their rhythm and rhyme regardless of what’s being said. I think the best poets tend to straddle some medium that connects their own raw humanness, inspirations or perspectives with another’s – naked feelings without sacrificing some common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    There’s a line between being so esoteric in one’s emotional outpour that no message is really available to the audience and being so blunt and plain that the art is lost altogether. In tremendous shallowness I usually look at poetry like a puzzle, where if I can figure it out the first time it was probably too simple and if ten tries later I’ve discovered nothing at all then the poet was most likely helplessly lost in the sound of their own voice. Barring that, some offerings are enjoyable enough with their rhythm and rhyme regardless of what’s being said. I think the best poets tend to straddle some medium that connects their own raw humanness, inspirations or perspectives with another’s – naked feelings without sacrificing some common ground.
    I agree, that is what makes poetry pretty challenging, is finding a middle ground where a person can understand what the underlying message is, without just bluntly saying what it is while rhyming. Nice way of evaluating, i like it.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Once there was a squirrel who traveled the world. Alas it had to come to an end as his quest was to find a friend. He ended up in quite the foul mood because the people were all rude. He exclaimed these people are all butts I think I'll just settle foraging for nuts!
    "That's just brilliant." I like it, two out of three aint bad.