Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for Baby Diaper Tape Extenders

Default Recipe for Baby Diaper Tape Extenders

How 'bout some baby diaper hacking!

Extending the tapes on baby diapers is an age-old mod that many people here have independently discovered. There are a bunch of ways to do it. I don't do it often myself, but dreamt up another (possibly unique) way while I was trapped in an uncomfortable airplane seat a couple of days ago. Once home, I tried it and found it to work quite nicely. What's more, the end result is reusable, and the process is tidy and does not involve cutting into diaper cores and scattering SAP beads everywhere.

Required items:
    • Pampers diaper (the end result works ok with Huggies, though)
    • Stapler
    • Scissors

Step 0:
    Locate your "victim" diaper. This should be Pampers Baby Dry, Extra Protection, or Cruisers (a.k.a. Active Fit in the UK, maybe elsewhere):

Step 1:
    Remove the entire cloth-like cover of the diaper. Ordinarily, when removing the cover of a Pampers diaper, one needs to be concerned about leaving the tapes and the landing zone attached to the diaper. Not this time; you want it all!

The result should look like this:

Step 2:
    Lay the cover so that the landing zone is face-down and the ends of the tapes are face-up.

Step 3:
    Fold the tape end of the cover in. The exact location of the fold is not important.

Step 4:
    Fold the landing zone end of the cover in so that the landing zone is aligned with the tapes.

Step 5:
    Fold the extra material under so that only the landing zone and tapes are visible.

Step 6:
    Place some staples just inside of where the tapes connect to the cover at each end. NOTE: I recommend stapling from the back, behind the landing zone (as seen below), so that the pointy sides of the staples won't be against your skin.

Step 7:
    Cut the cover in half. You now have two reusable tape extenders! Almost. (Poor Elmo!)

Step 8 (Final step!):
    Staple the loose ends of each extender so that nothing unravels.

So there you go. Two nice, reusable tape extenders for your baby diapers. They're soft and fluffy, too!

And one final twist: I actually find it easier to use these as *landing zone* extenders. That is, apply them first to the landing zone on the front of the diaper you want to put on. Bring the front of the diaper up between your legs, then fasten the tapes to the extenders to complete the process. By doing it this way, the extenders can be taped to the outer edge of the landing zone on the diaper you're going to wear, and this will better support the whole front of the diaper, which should help avoid gapping. But! Experiment and see what works best for you.

If anybody finds this helpful or even just amusing, great!

that's pretty cool dude

Another way is cutting the top tapes on a pharmacy brand diaper

wow great job my girl friend loves cruisers but cut into her waste so this wil work great thanks alot bro

Excellent! I hope you find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoftomo View Post
    Another way is cutting the top tapes on a pharmacy brand diaper
    The adult diapers? And that doesn't require cutting into the diaper core at all? Hmmm... That would be pretty convenient! If I ever end up with some of those diapers around, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

That's pretty cool

But... You cut Elmo in half

Neat idea. But I was wondering whether it was really much better than just ripping tabs off another diaper (maybe the last one worn?) and stapling those on? I find that works fine, especially with the Huggies Super Dry style of tab which are long but not so stretchy.