Thread: Ethical frameworks

Default Ethical frameworks

Has anyone experimented with using different ethical frameworks?

This is kinda a philosophy 101 question, but I still think it could spark some good discussion.

I'm a fan of virtue ethics myself, but MacIntyre and some other virtue ethicists seem a bit reactionary to me.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by solviturambulando View Post
    Has anyone experimented with using different ethical frameworks?

This is kinda a philosophy 101 question, but I still think it could spark some good discussion.

I'm a fan of virtue ethics myself, but MacIntyre and some other virtue ethicists seem a bit reactionary to me.

Thoughts?
    I personally have not experimented with any type of ethical framework, however I'll be sure to point Charlie F in this direction when he gets home from work - he recently graduated with a first in philosophy so I'm sure he'll be interested in this.

In the meantime - care to share your own ideals?

I'm know what ethical frameworks are but I've never really looked into ones that are in books. My basic ethical code is don't harm other and try to make yourself happy. As long as you are doing those two things, I see no problems. Obviously you have to have a job so you can live but I mean long term happiness. Plus my job will make me happy.

Learning out about different ethical theories is quite important in my opinion, and I think it's a shame that ethics (and philosophy in general) are only really taught in higher level education.

I definitely share the view of virtue ethics, in particular the theories of Hursthouse and Foot. Virtue ethics, in general, seeks to answer the question "what is a good person?", rather than answer the question "was it a good action?". The second question gets answered by the first, in Hursthouse's case the morally right action is the action that a virtuous person would (characteristically) do in the circumstances.
    Other theories tend to work in the other way, they state what a morally right action is, and then say that that a moral person is one who performs moral actions.

Virtue ethics comes up with a list of virtues (for example: patience, courage, modesty), positive character traits, and vices (for example: being short tempered, being dishonest, lacking empathy), negative character traits. One can use these virtues and vices when deciding what to do in a moral situation.

It's worth spending time thinking about different ways of ethical reasoning, and thinking about the different problems each have. Virtue ethics is sometimes criticised for not being able to provide proper guidance when facing a moral problem. If one is meant to act how a virtue person would act, we first need to know what a virtue person would do. And what about cases where virtues seem to contract each other?

I have had a life long problem with being altruistic but a decade of therapy and tons of $ have helped make me think of myself occasionaly.

If you want to apply an ethical framework to revealing one's diaper fetishism to someone else it kind of limits the approach you can take in making YOUR diaper "thing" known to others. Care to more quantify what it is you're asking and qualify what it is you're asking and why?