Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just read this post on reddit and I'm feeling pretty bad right now.

Default Just read this post on reddit and I'm feeling pretty bad right now.

Note: If horror stories of mishandled bedwetting bothers you I would advise not reading this and getting upset.

I won't be making a rage comic of this. : atheism

Stuff like what he described is one of the most painful things for me to read and typically haunts me for a few weeks until I am so exhausted by coursework and other things that I forget about it. I don't even know why I'm making this thread, maybe so I don't vent my feeling by putting a hole in my wall or breaking my hand in the process.

I believe the story, and I've seen it happen before, even in the mormon church (not that the mormon church is glitter and daisys). I recall much similar experiences (my father threw me from a bed and across a room, and my mom later told the CPS worker, and me, that I tripped). In fact, many of my abuse "stories" were explained away by my "mental instability". They claimed that I was creating my own memories, and that these things never happened. I even started to believe it.

I still don't like how he generalizes "Christians". I believe in Christ. I believe in all the things the Bible (and the Book of Mormon) say. The only things I don't believe in anymore are the Christians. Christianity is a beautiful belief system, but so many (although not all) people now twist the words to fit their own hateful beliefs.
    I also don't like how he has to seperate Religion and Science, like one cannot exist with the other. Then again, the people he learned under do the same thing, but just on the other end of the spectrum.Good, realistic, and I pray untrue, story.

I have no problems with Christians--many of the people I work with are devout Christians who even do Bible study lunchtimes during the week here. We work at a company that has many different faiths and they do not push theirs on anyone else.

What I have a problem with is those people who call themselves Christians and use "God" and the Bible as reasons for performing despicable acts. This is not Christianity, this is an excuse.

So far, science has not been able to disprove religion, and at the same time, religion has not been able to disprove science. Is there no reason they cannot co-exist?

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    So far, science has not been able to disprove religion, and at the same time, religion has not been able to disprove science. Is there no reason they cannot co-exist?
    Actually, science does a great job of directly contradicting any fundamentalist interpretation of religion, so no, they cannot really co-exist unless one limits "religion" to a purely speculative affair with no bearing on observable reality, which really begs the question, "what's the point?"

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    Actually, science does a great job of directly contradicting any fundamentalist interpretation of religion, so no, they cannot really co-exist unless one limits "religion" to a purely speculative affair with no bearing on observable reality, which really begs the question, "what's the point?"
    The fundamentalist are usually the ones who are behind the acts where 'God' is used as basis for their crimes. When I say that science has not disproved religion, I mean that the existence of a "god" has not been disproved by science. I spent a few years going to a Catholic high school, and the surprising thing I found was that the Bible is viewed as the absolute word of God. Funny, but I haven't seen or heard of God running printing presses. Therefore, it must be the word of God as transcribed by man. Isn't one of the first things in the Bible that man can make mistakes (getting thrown out of Eden)?

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Isn't one of the first things in the Bible that man can make mistakes (getting thrown out of Eden)?
    Hey, don't knock that mistake: without it we wouldn't know the difference between good and evil ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAshley View Post
    I still don't like how he generalizes "Christians".
    r/atheism is well known on Reddit for doing that, they generalize their experiences because they tend to live in areas of America/the world were atheism isn't exactly treated as a good thing, they may not have dealt with m/any moderate Christians.

Why is it that these atheists don't seem to have any understanding of the inner-workings of religion? I read some of the things on that website and it seems to me that they have a very stereotypical viewpoint of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. Quite frankly it just shows me how ignorant people seem to be in today's society. For me this just shows immaturity. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCrafter View Post
    Why is it that these atheists don't seem to have any understanding of the inner-workings of religion? I read some of the things on that website and it seems to me that they have a very stereotypical viewpoint of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. Quite frankly it just shows me how ignorant people seem to be in today's society. For me this just shows immaturity. *sigh*
    The same thing applies to many of those who follow a lot of religious beliefs without question. Many people do not read the Bible for themselves and form their own opinions; they go to church, listen to the sermon, and let the preacher tell them what to think. My mother-in-law is one of these as are many of my other in-laws. We went to visit them one year for Christmas and went to church with them when they asked us to. I listened to the sermon and could not understand why anyone would not be questioning what was being said.

I am not joking when I say that the sermon took one line from one book, another from another book, a third from another, and so on. Sometimes these lines were Old Testament, sometimes New Testament. This string of seemingly random sentences was put together to try and convey the message the preacher wanted. The problem was that each line was usually taken out of context. If I were to say here that 'Diapers have made huge advances in the last few decades," you would not know if I was discussing adult diapers or baby diapers, SAP or wicking materials, elastic leg/waistbands or leakguards, or any of a number of things. Hell, I could be discussing packaging or manufacturing! It would depend on the context that the original sentence was used in.

I'm not atheist, I'm not highly religious, I'm more agnostic. The main thing is that I have enough varied life experience that I feel I can rationally discuss topics like this. If you feel I have done a disservice to Christians or any other religion, please let me know. Again, I do not have problems with those who are religious, just with those who use religion as a crutch to justify deplorable actions.

I believe in God, but I have trouble believing in religion and the church, and I'm a Methodist church music director. I've seen too many church members be horrible to one another. I've also seen to many conflicts in the Bible, and it seems that church members and ministers like to find what suits their latest philosophy, and ignore parts that demand a lot more from them, especially Christ's commandment to love one another.