Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are 'You' My Friend?

Default Are 'You' My Friend?

Is it fair to consider online entities as friends even though you don't meet them in a physical space? I like to talk to others on IRC as friends and such, but wonder if I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.
    Do you think talking online rather than physically to another person is the new normal?

I think about this all the time.

I consider someone i met online, and talk to him every day, my best friend. I've never met him in the real world though.

I think that having friends on the internet IS the new normal. No other generations have had this opportunity, so thats why we don't know if this is normal or not. After a lot of thinking about it, i fid it okay that i have close friends online, i value them the same, if not more than some friends IRL.

All in all, i think it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    I think about this all the time.

I consider someone i met online, and talk to him every day, my best friend. I've never met him in the real world though.

I think that having friends on the internet IS the new normal. No other generations have had this opportunity, so thats why we don't know if this is normal or not. After a lot of thinking about it, i fid it okay that i have close friends online, i value them the same, if not more than some friends IRL.

Exactly my thoughts. Strangely enough, I have met some of my best friends on the Internet, but have never met them in real life. I consider many people here my friends and I don't think it's weird at all. IMO the Internet is the easiest way to meet new people that you can become friends with because it's so widely used.
    Just my thoughts.

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't see why not I find it kind of like pen pales I have some in fargo and i got to meet them as a stop on family vacations. to me online can be a first step. Just be wise when walking that kind of path...

I refer to you guys as my second family. I definitely feel a kinship to many of the member here on adisc, and especially you, Kite. We've talked so many times, and I would consider you a friend here and in the real world. The house is always open to you if you're traveling.

It's comforting to know that you always have people who are happy to talk to you about most anything, anywhere, at anytime. I enjoy having close friends online and off, and I consider a person to be a person, even if I don't know what they look like. Sure you can't ask them to come help you move (usually) or something but I feel that takes away some of the sometimes-undesirable strings attached to real-life relationships. It's all about the personality online.

Yeah, I get the same feeling too. While in chat I feel like i'm hanging out with my friends and it tends to overtake me.

I have friends here that I'd take a bullet for if given the chance. I have no idea where or who I'd be if it wasn't for the constant love and support I receive from my online friends and family. Whether we're just talking like old friends or RPing with each other, I always enjoy their company. Heck, if given the chance, I'd room with them in college! If I could ask one thing at this moment, it would be for me to be able to hug one of my online friends, and to look them in the eyes for real, and thank them from the bottom of my heart for everything they've done for me.

And by that I mean yes, I believe in the Computer Age, it's completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post

I agree with Snaps and Chanch0; this is how I feel too. I grew up with it; so to me it's normal. In a way it can be refreshing, for it allows us to talk to many people at one time that will relate to what we are going through. I think it helps us to relate to people on another level. It might not feel as immediately intimate as a face-to-face interaction can, but on the flip-slide, we are more likely to share more intimacy because of the distance, and it's good to know that there are more people put there in the world, where ever they are, that you can relate to and are similar to you in some way.

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Natsu View Post

And by that I mean yes, I believe in the Computer Age, it's completely normal.
    I agree Natsu This is our future, which brings new ideas of social culture and how we accept one another.

I've been on a small New York Rangers message board for about seven years, and have a lot of friends there who've been there similarly long times. A few years ago we started getting together a few times a year to watch games at someone's house. It was cool to finally meet everyone- but it's weird at first to realize they're real people, and to not call them by their usernames. I think it's possible to have friends online. But I think it really helps to have an RL meet to officiate things.