Thread: The official Muse thread

Default The official Muse thread

Anyone here a fan of the Brittish progressive/alternative rock band Muse? The band consist of Matthew "Matt" Bellamy (Lead vocal, guitar, piano), Christopher Wolstenholme (Bass, backing vocals) and Dominic Howard (drums).

Matthew Bellamy is well known for his tendency to use falsetto in his singing, a thing which is one of the bans most well known aspects. Matt has been voted the 29th best guitarist in the world. Their songs are famous for their amazing guitar riffs (Stockholm Syndrome, Plug in Baby, Knights of Cydonia). NME Magazine voted Bellamy the 14th greatest rock'n'roll hero of all time. Knights of Cydonia was in 2008 voted the number one song of 2007.

Any opinions? Fans? Post it here. Anything to contribute to discussion!

Muse are great.

I've seen them a couple of times now and Matt Bellamy is an excellent frontman and they put on a terrific show. There was a line about them I read somewhere, can't remember the exact wording but it was something like, 'the only thing that could satisfactorily bring a close to a Muse gig would be the end of the world itself and even that might feel a bit anticlimactic under the circumstances'. That's not quite right and I'm paraphrasing but the point is that for extravagant, dramatic, histrionic rock Muse are pretty hard to beat, and every sensible person loves a bit of extravagant, dramatic, histrionic rock.

They were probably my favourite band when I was about your age, Jet. My tastes have changed a bit since then but Origin of Symmetry does claim a great deal of affection from me and I still love 'em.

For anyone who doesn't know them, here is a little snippet. I was at that gig and they blew me away at the time.

I have recently discovered Muse by getting a copy of Black Holes & Revelations and I love it. I don't know much about them otherwise but I love what I have heard and would like to hear more. Actually, after Black Holes & Revlations where would you recommend I move next.

Interesting fact: I was listening to Muse when I came across this thread. Coincidence?

They aren't bad...I like playing their songs on Guitar Hero ^__^

Black Holes and Revelations is their newest album, mzkkbprmt. It's terrific but probably not the best starting point as tracking how their sound has evolved through the albums is fascinating and I think having a decent grounding in their back catalogue will allow you to get more out of the later stuff.

Origin of Symmetry is probably the most accessible album while Absolution is probably the most similar to Black Holes and Revelations if you really like that sound. They're all good though and if I were you I would start with the first one, Showbiz, and work my way forwards - you'll be able to pick it up cheap these days and it's definitely worth listening to. The earlier albums are very different from Black Holes and are less varied stylistically - Showbiz is more straight prog-rock with less electronic, industrial and dance-influenced stuff but I'm sure you'll like it anyway.

To be honest, you can't go wrong with anything of theirs, but it makes sense to take them in order because you're going to want to listen to them all anyway.

Well, their newest album is actually HAARP, it's their performent at Wembley (both CD and DVD). The CD is fairly good, really shows off how good they are live.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Well, their newest album is actually HAARP, it's their performent at Wembley (both CD and DVD). The CD is fairly good, really shows off how good they are live.
    Well, yeah but I wasn't counting that or Hullabaloo as proper albums. They're both worth a listen/watch but it's best to hear the material in its original form before listening to live albums - it's always more fun to be able to notice the differences and variations that way.

Muse is among my favorite bands and I've been listening to them ever since I first heard Absolution. I think that Black holes and revelations is one of the best albums out there and never seems to get old, even though I still listen to it all the time.

Muse is great. They were my favorite band and a few years ago I would play Absolution and Origin of Symmetry nonstop!

They're awesome