Thread: First furry art, what you think?

Scootalooo

Default First furry art, what you think?

So this is my attempt at furry art, must warn you. My drawing skills are very bad, it made me laugh hysterically.

My character is meant to be a Chipmunk, but it looks more like a mental beaver with poor taste in clothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art edit1.jpg 
Views:	6124 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	6585

It's not a bad start... Everyones gotta start somewhere... Just think of what you can improve on and keep moving up from there

I've reached a point in my artist-dom that I like to try to be honest with people without hurting them. Keep in mind that I am by far not even one of the best artists out there myself, but I try. Some people draw Flat-out stick figures and people tell them it's cute, so me telling them that they are jacked up after they've been doing it wrong for months and others are telling them it's right, would only cause drama. I'm glad I'm able to catch someone early so we can go ahead and start working on what you need help on before you get set into doing it like that.

You my fellow furry artist upstart, need to first- look up some anatomy. If you're going for anthropomorphic-style drawings, human anatomy models will work for the most part, until you wanna draw paws and things native to your particular species of animal.

Please note how males' heads, bodies, and limbs differ from females' somewhat. Males' head and facial features tend to be kinda squared while females' are more rounded.

Males' torsos tend start out wide at the shoulders and generally get thinner as it goes down to the hips, while females do the opposite, starting fairly thing up top and widening a bit as you reach the hips.

Legs and arms are not made up of uniform curves or straight lines, they- like every other part of the body- have muscles in them, that expand and contract in different ways depending on the position of the limb, They are generally more define than muscle in the torso area this is true for all animals male or female.

Your age says you're 23 so you should be pretty well versed in what I mean, though if not you can look at you own muscles to get an Idea of how they behave when your body part is in different positions.

You'll also want to look into proportions, to figure out how long to make legs, arms, torsos and what-not. Then (the hardest part for me) Hands and feet.

Eventually you'll probably wanna color it there is tutorials for this too. It may seem like a lot, but if you're serious about drawing you can put up with it. Please look into some study material though.

Scootalooo

Quote Originally Posted by Tristen View Post
    It's not a bad start... Everyones gotta start somewhere... Just think of what you can improve on and keep moving up from there
    Thanks Tristen

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by P9Kitty View Post
    I've reached a point in my artist-dom that I like to try to be honest with people without hurting them. Keep in mind that I am by far not even one of the best artists out there myself, but I try. Some people draw Flat-out stick figures and people tell them it's cute, so me telling them that they are jacked up after they've been doing it wrong for months and others are telling them it's right, would only cause drama. I'm glad I'm able to catch someone early so we can go ahead and start working on what you need help on before you get set into doing it like that.

You my fellow furry artist upstart, need to first- look up some anatomy. If you're going for anthropomorphic-style drawings, human anatomy models will work for the most part, until you wanna draw paws and things native to your particular species of animal.

Please note how males' heads, bodies, and limbs differ from females' somewhat. Males' head and facial features tend to be kinda squared while females' are more rounded.

Males' torsos tend start out wide at the shoulders and generally get thinner as it goes down to the hips, while females do the opposite, starting fairly thing up top and widening a bit as you reach the hips.

Legs and arms are not made up of uniform curves or straight lines, they- like every other part of the body- have muscles in them, that expand and contract in different ways depending on the position of the limb, They are generally more define than muscle in the torso area this is true for all animals male or female.

Your age says you're 23 so you should be pretty well versed in what I mean, though if not you can look at you own muscles to get an Idea of how they behave when your body part is in different positions.

You'll also want to look into proportions, to figure out how long to make legs, arms, torsos and what-not. Then (the hardest part for me) Hands and feet.

Eventually you'll probably wanna color it there is tutorials for this too. It may seem like a lot, but if you're serious about drawing you can put up with it. Please look into some study material though.
    Wow, that's loads of good stuff to get me started. Thanks very much for the advice dude, really appreciate it. How long did it take you to get good at it? and did you draw your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinS3ville View Post

Wow, that's loads of good stuff to get me started. Thanks very much for the advice dude, really appreciate it. How long did it take you to get good at it? and did you draw your avatar?
    I'm still working on getting good at it, and no I didn't draw my avatar, an artist called StrawberryNeko did it.

This. <3

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

I'm still working on getting good at it, and no I didn't draw my avatar, an artist called StrawberryNeko did it.
    StrawberryNeko produces some very cute art. ^^ Yours included of course.

ya tempting me to doodle you.

But yeah, what P9 said, is right on. Hope to see ya do more, and the more ya do it, you'll improve ^^

Scootalooo

Quote Originally Posted by TaviMunk View Post
    ya tempting me to doodle you
    Would you?

---------- Post added 13-11-2011 at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was 12-11-2011 at 01:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TaviMunk View Post
    ya tempting me to doodle you.

But yeah, what P9 said, is right on. Hope to see ya do more, and the more ya do it, you'll improve ^^
    Hi, was that a silly question when I said 'would you' and stuff?, I kinda thought u were hinting towards drawing me something and I think I mighta jumped to the wrong conclusion or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinS3ville View Post
    Would you?

---------- Post added 13-11-2011 at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was 12-11-2011 at 01:46 ----------

Hi, was that a silly question when I said 'would you' and stuff?, I kinda thought u were hinting towards drawing me something and I think I mighta jumped to the wrong conclusion or something.
    I could be, be that's a surprise really. ^^