Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amero

Default Amero

There is talk about the United States, Canada and Mexico's currency becoming one simaler to Europe's Euro.

North American currency union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also find info on sites like YouTube.

So what do you guys think? Would this be a good idea?

Well...It would be good so you don't have to convert if you travel there...But I don't think the countries would adopt it anytime soon...

The problem is with this is the US would dominate any union. Unlike the EU, where no one nation has a monopoly of power, any proposed North American Union would essentially be an extension of the US.

I can see something like this happening. Definately not today, but maybe in 20-30 years.

Ehhh, I don't really see a need too, plus I don't really like the sound of calling them 'Ameros'

Never happen, the USA is set on it own type of currency!!

There's no reason. In Europe, the countries are so close together that it was inconvenient to travel even short distances. because you had to exchange currency. However, America, Mexico and Canada are huge and there isn't much traffic going between them.

Darkfinn

No way... it will never happen.

The US Dollar is the "gold standard" of currency and trade throughout the entire world. The flow of the global economy is closely based on the value of the dollar. Just look at the mess we are in now.

I don't want the value of my currency tied to events in Canada... and I can never imagine sharing currency with a second-world nation like Mexico.

But hey... if we did have it, all the illegals would be able to send their tax-free income home without paying those steep exchange fees at the bank.

Secret

SNOPES
    snopes.com: North American Union
    snopes.com: Amero Coin
    OTHER sites
    AmeroCurrency.com* Welcome to a discussion of the Amero, the possible new North American currency, the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America and the formation of a North American Union between the U.S., Canada and Mexico (Notice the links for conspiracy theories at the bottom left hand 'sigh')
    The amero conspiracy - The Boston Globe
    AMERO DOESN'T MAKE $ OR CENTS - New York Post
    Proposed AMERO design
    The reverse and obverse sides with what I assume is liberty holding a torch and on the obverse side an eagle holding olive branches signifying peace.

I am an avid coin collecter and honestly after reading these articles and websites it doesnt make much CENTS(LOL) to me. Why we would want or have really any use for an AMERO. Also the whole idea of the AMERO is discredited by the fact that every other conspiracy website has "The AMERO Conspiracy" on it and congress has never once mentioned it or the idea of it. I think it would be something "Dale Gribble" from "King Of The Hill" would beleive. All in all I highly doubt that this will happen in unless something terrible happens to the economic system of our our country, in lay mans terms it would have to be like a great depression x4.

FUN FACT
    Did you know that during WWII the US had to cut down on its copper use so it could supply its war machine with copper, so what they did was instead of minting copper pennies in 1943 they used steel. The end result is pretty cool, in my opinion better than todays pennies.

Coin collecting FTW

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    The US Dollar is the "gold standard" of currency and trade throughout the entire world. The flow of the global economy is closely based on the value of the dollar. Just look at the mess we are in now.

I don't want the value of my currency tied to events in Canada... and I can never imagine sharing currency with a second-world nation like Mexico.
    I'll bet you a few of your worthless dollars (:tongueout that your currency won't remain the "gold standard" of currency throughout the world for much longer. It's used mostly by tradition, but eventually, people will realize that there are other currencies too which are of equal or greater value and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok_still_rules View Post
    There's no reason. In Europe, the countries are so close together that it was inconvenient to travel even short distances. because you had to exchange currency. However, America, Mexico and Canada are huge and there isn't much traffic going between them.
    THe Euro doesn't exist for making traveling easier - it exists for making trade easier. Consequently, you should share a common currencies with those countries you do most of your international trade with. Ironically, for that's France (which does have the Euro), the UK (which still retains their pound for now), and the U.S. (with their worthless dollars).

Quote Originally Posted by secret101 View Post
    SNOPES
    FUN FACT
    Did you know that during WWII the US had to cut down on its copper use so it could supply its war machine with copper, so what they did was instead of minting copper pennies in 1943 they used steel. The end result is pretty cool, in my opinion better than todays pennies.
    Steel tends to deteriorate faster than copper or other materials. Just look at old abandoned steel buildings or railroad bridges. Plus the U.S. steel pennies in my collection look rather...horrible!

Peachy