Thread: Volvo SFINX - Volvo's futuristic Excavator concept machine

Default Volvo SFINX - Volvo's futuristic Excavator concept machine

I came across this video on youtube. It's volvos new design of an excavator. It's pretty cool, but way too high tech for me to want. I bet it's expensive too and if something breaks on it. I'd hate to see the price of the parts.

What do you think?

I would so totally street race that thing. The video was kinda corny though.

very corny video.

something like this with as many functions as this would be both expensive to produce and expensive to service/repair. the good thing about current excavators are that they have simple designs. gas engine, turning base, and a regular arm/bucket.
    half of the "high tech" functions on this could be transferred to an older model- remote control, 'bucket cam', the 'virtual safety net'
    the only real revolutions of this would be the power system and track base. if they managed to create a viable battery system (or other power supply- i seriously doubt a gas engine would be able to do this) then kudos for them. it's a bit much, though. construction companies use what's easiest to do.