Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting/Finding a job

Default Getting/Finding a job

Does anyone have any tips at all to finding a part time job? Since I've started driving, I haven't had to pay for gas, but my parents cut my allowance. While this is a pretty good deal for me, I now have no income. I've been applying to many stores via online application fairly often over the past few months, but still haven't been offered a job. Does anyone have any tips or have any ideas on things I may be overlooking? That'd be great if anyone could help, thanks!

I quit my old job recently - hostile work environment. Politics. Ugh.

Anyway, no advice to offer you but I'm sympathetic. The job market right now is shit. Only thing I can say is show up in person and ask for an application more often, that might help when they see a face and someone actually there, showing an interest.

Go in person if possible and ask for an application. Look for stores with "we're hiring" signs.

EDIT: beaten to it

Cherub

Be a little proactive in your approach.
    1) most places will ask for at least 3 references. Have this done and in hand ready to use. Someone who is prepared will be more likely to leave a good impression,, and face it,, that's what you're trying to accomplish right?
    2) Most places would like a resume'. Again, get this done and have a copy ready to GIVE to the perspective employer. Most Micro Soft word programs have a resume' wizard built right in. Just 'fill in the template' and there you go!
    3) when you go into a place, don't look like the stereotypical jobless slouch. Dress decently.
    4) Try to think up some difficult questions that you anticipate being asked. The better your responses the better you will look to a perspective boss.
    5) don't be afraid to stop back by and 'check on the status of your application'. This isn't brown nosing, and actually shows the employer that you were serious about getting the job. Just don't go overboard and annoy the daylights out of an employer.

For the most part, those are your essential job seeking basics that will serve you well.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    Be a little proactive in your approach.
    1) most places will ask for at least 3 references. Have this done and in hand ready to use. Someone who is prepared will be more likely to leave a good impression,, and face it,, that's what you're trying to accomplish right?
    2) Most places would like a resume'. Again, get this done and have a copy ready to GIVE to the perspective employer. Most Micro Soft word programs have a resume' wizard built right in. Just 'fill in the template' and there you go!
    3) when you go into a place, don't look like the stereotypical jobless slouch. Dress decently.
    4) Try to think up some difficult questions that you anticipate being asked. The better your responses the better you will look to a perspective boss.
    5) don't be afraid to stop back by and 'check on the status of your application'. This isn't brown nosing, and actually shows the employer that you were serious about getting the job. Just don't go overboard and annoy the daylights out of an employer.

For the most part, those are your essential job seeking basics that will serve you well.

Good luck!
    That's pretty good advice but, I've never had a job before. Do I just ignore the resume section?

Cherub

If you have a GPA you are proud of, then use your school grades as a type of resume'.

It would be hard for a high schooler to get a job since you can't work night shift, you can't work mornings due to school. Plus whereever you live, there's a adult that's not in school looking for a job. You are competing against these people that have little/nothing to do with their days. These types of people can work pretty much any shift they want. Also a high schooler would have more reasons to quit in the middle of a job, then someone who needs work.

Don't ignore the resume!

If you don't have a lot of previous job experience, focus on non-job experience (extra curricular activities, sports, hobbies, interests, etc) and personal attributes. I would generally say for these kind of jobs, you want to keep it short and to the point. You probably have about 10 seconds to sell yourself.. don't waste it with long fancy wording.

Also avoid resume templates and wizards .. they always look half assed and unprofessional.

Are you good with manual labor? Or more specifically; Are you open to is and want to get some good exercise? Check out moving companies; It's good work, and they tend to be busiest on weekends/evenings.

Go in and ask these quistions.

1.May I speak to the manager in charge of hiring.
    2.Are you open for any positions at all
    3. What hours are you hiring for and do you have any positions that are going to be opening up in the next week or so.

This show's that you're actively looking for a place to work. Not just browsing.