Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "I Kissed a Girl, and I Liked It"

Default "I Kissed a Girl, and I Liked It"

I was curious what everyone's thoughts are about the song "I Kissed a Girl" by Kate Perry. For those of you not familiar with the song, it's sung by a woman describing how she kissed a girl at a party and enjoyed it, even though she has a boyfriend and is straight. You can listen to it here

The song has been very popular this summer because it's very catchy, and it's gotten tons of airplay on the radio stations in my area and everywhere else. When I first heard it I thought it was a pretty catchy and fun song and didn't think much of it beyond that. However, one of my co-workers was telling me that she doesn't want her two daughters (ages 10 and 8) listening to the song and she's annoyed that it's played on local radio even though they're normally pretty heavy-handed with censoring certain things in songs.

After talking to her and hearing her thoughts, I started to agree with her and to think that this song sends out some bad messages as far as gay rights are concerned. A lot of people who do not favor gay marriage and use their selective Bible verse to back up all their opinions make the argument that people who are homosexual choose to be. In the song, the singer makes it pretty clear that she is not gay and was only having fun and that's just "what girls do." I would describe her as bi-curious. And admittedly girls making out seems to have become much more socially acceptable than guys making out, particularly if it is just for fun and there's no really strong underlying sexual attraction, and it's not uncommon on college campuses and in clubs to see girls making out, usually under the influence of alcohol.

So I wonder if a song like this gives momentum to the argument that gay people choose to be gay, because the conservative Christians who I've talked to seem to believe that homosexuality is really what's described in this song: someone making out/having sex with someone else of the same gender just for fun and to be kinky, rather than an inherent internal attraction to people of the same sex.

My co-worker says she doesn't like the song because it's hedonistic; it promotes the idea of making out with someone just to get attention. Of course, there are other songs that do the same, but if a guy wrote a song called "I Kissed a Girl" that was just about making out with a girl, it wouldn't be interesting at all and probably wouldn't soar to the top of the charts. Because it's not interesting and it doesn't have the appeal of something that's somewhat taboo.

I think these quotes on wikipedia pretty much sum up my thoughts: 'AllMusic concludes that, "the problem is not with Katy's gender-bending, it's that her heart isn't in it; she's just using it to get her places, so she sinks to crass, craven depths."[6] Slant Magazine agrees, saying, the song, "isn't problematic because it promotes homosexuality, but because its appropriation of the gay lifestyle exists for the sole purpose of garnering attentionóboth from Perry's boyfriend and her audience."'

Interestingly, this same singer has another single called "Ur So Gay."

But maybe I'm reading too much into this and it's just a catchy song that will be completely forgotten in a year. Thoughts?

I think its a catchy song that will be forgotten about.

I think it's overplayed...And I don't think there is much to think into it...

I love the song..its just overplayed something that annoys the heck out of me
    which is why i rarely listen to the radio
    Last edited by Mandy; 18-Aug-2008 at 22:46.

It a one hit wonder, the song is catchy but people well probably forget about it in a couple mouths.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    It a one hit wonder, the song is catchy but people well probably forget about it in a couple mouths.....

Actually her song "Hot n Cold" is popular now...So it's not a one hit wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Actually her song "Hot n Cold" is popular now...So it's not a one hit wonder...
    Damn it, I don't listening to pop music that much, and the only reason why I heard this song was because my gf was playing it in the car so yea the song got stuck in my head

Hot n' Cold is a pretty cool song i also like Ur So Gay
    somehow she reminds me of Lily Allen..which is a good thing i like her ^^

So many girls I've known led a bisexual life in their late teens to early twentys it seems the norm. This song reflects that. It it getting a lot of play in the bars like "I Touch Myself" did, I expect it to follow the same path.

I personally despise the song. I think its annoying, and the fact its overplayed only plays into that.