Thread: Thoughts on Samhain

Butterfly Mage

Default Thoughts on Samhain

Samhain is the Wiccan/Pagan holiday that marks the end of the old liturgical year and the beginning of the next. It is also a memorial of the dead an a time to honor our ancestors. I think it's important to honor the ancestors because their deeds laid the foundation for the future. If we don't know where we came from, it's hard to know where we are going.

In Wicca, Samhain is the night when the veil that separates the physical world from the otherworld is the thinnest. So it is a good time to commune with the ancestors.

There are a few people that I honor who came before me.

My grandfather was a warrior. He was a Lieutenant Commander in the Pacific Fleet in WWII. He was honorable, brave, and intelligent. He died at a relatively young age (60) from cancer. He started smoking during the war and was never able to stop. But I remember that he was one of the few family members who was man enough to stand up to my sociopath father.

My mom's second husband was in many ways the opposite of my biological father. He, too, briefly served in the military (army), but got discharged for medical reasons early on. He died of heart failure at age 48. But he worked until the day he died. He was also one of the few family members that didn't ostracize me when I came out of the closet.

I remember the friend who introduced me to Wicca. I didn't know her that long, but the spiritual gifts she bestowed upon me is an honor that I hope to someday be worthy of receiving. Becoming a Wiccan has changed my life for the better in so many ways. I am grateful. She died of breast cancer.

I remember my little dog who died last weekend. She was fifteen years old. Nothing happened to her that was out of the ordinary. She just went to sleep and died. There are worse ways to go.

Blessings to those who came before. I remember you and honor you.

Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Samhain is the Wiccan/Pagan holiday that marks the end of the old liturgical year and the beginning of the next. It is also a memorial of the dead an a time to honor our ancestors. I think it's important to honor the ancestors because their deeds laid the foundation for the future. If we don't know where we came from, it's hard to know where we are going.

In Wicca, Samhain is the night when the veil that separates the physical world from the otherworld is the thinnest. So it is a good time to commune with the ancestors.

There are a few people that I honor who came before me.

My grandfather was a warrior. He was a Lieutenant Commander in the Pacific Fleet in WWII. He was honorable, brave, and intelligent. He died at a relatively young age (60) from cancer. He started smoking during the war and was never able to stop. But I remember that he was one of the few family members who was man enough to stand up to my sociopath father.

My mom's second husband was in many ways the opposite of my biological father. He, too, briefly served in the military (army), but got discharged for medical reasons early on. He died of heart failure at age 48. But he worked until the day he died. He was also one of the few family members that didn't ostracize me when I came out of the closet.

I remember the friend who introduced me to Wicca. I didn't know her that long, but the spiritual gifts she bestowed upon me is an honor that I hope to someday be worthy of receiving. Becoming a Wiccan has changed my life for the better in so many ways. I am grateful. She died of breast cancer.

I remember my little dog who died last weekend. She was fifteen years old. Nothing happened to her that was out of the ordinary. She just went to sleep and died. There are worse ways to go.

Blessings to those who came before. I remember you and honor you.

Blessed be
    Beautiful article Butterfly Mage. For the past month I have felt that my dad has been very close. He died back in '75. I wrote about it just recently in one of the posts. I was explaining this by e-mail to my best friend from college on Sunday. He had gone to Massachusetts to see the burial site of his great, great....grandmother who was hanged as a witch in the 1600's. For him, this was a spiritual pilgrimage, and he wanted to make some contact with her and his departed family.

Ironically, I had sent him an e-mail containing something I had written in my novel. It was very spiritual, my characters descending into their basement, and being surrounded by the dust particles. He thought it interesting that this should arrive at the same time that he was making his pilgrimage. Sometimes the power of spirit brings us together and leads us in strange directions.

I am sorry for the loss of your dog. My dog, a golden, is 10, and I can see her having a little more difficulty getting up. I love her so much, as we are somehow bonded. I will be very upset when she passes, but I know it's coming. Fortunately, I believe I will one day be with her and my other dogs. At times, I have felt very close to my family who have passed.

I believe that we are creating our next life while we are here, living this life. Maybe as we get older, that door to the next world opens just a crack. We feel it and it calls to us. After all, we celebrate this spiritual time of year, and there must be a reason for it, especially since it started so long ago.

I love reading your posts, Butterfly Mage. Wicca seems like a beautiful religion (please excuse me if that's not how you observe it), but even though I'm mormon, I really want to learn more about Wicca, so I can apply some of it to my everyday life.