Thread: can somebody please tell me what a fur is?

Question can somebody please tell me what a fur is?

sorry, dont mean to be rude or something, just never known what it is...

If you mean what is a furry rather than a fur,
    well, being a furry is different for everyone. Myself as I see it it is a spiritual thing, it is like a part of an animal (A white tiger ) in my case came into this person with my soul from a last life. *possibly* I was cat like even as a small child. On the other paw I was only 2 pounds in weight when born (less than 1 kilo) and I was kept alive in an incubator so I did not get much human contact in my early weeks of life. So I did not bond with humans so much as others did. I wear a fursuit that tries to reflect my inner self (a White Tiger).
    Being a furry is different for everyone, some like anime, some just like the furry art, and some are complete fruit cakes. Some mundanes call any fur a nutcase, a crackpot, a wierdo. Some call me a wierdo magnet. *laughs*
    I have to act "normal" when I am working or out and about in general public. I keep my furryness hidden from those that I think would not want to or even try to understand what a furry is.
    That is it in short. I do go to furry conventions :3

This site has a very good definition in it's articles, just go to Articles -> Babyfur -> furry 101

In short, a furry is a fan of anthropomorphic animals. Every fur expresses their love for anthros differently, some fursuit, others look at art. If you say you're a furry (and you mean it) then you are a furry. Again, look at the article on the site, it's better than my explanation.

There really is nothing "furry". Its meaning can vary from furry to furry.
    We just have most the same interest. Like ThomasHuskyMuffin said, its being a fan of anthropomorphic. Which is the biggest part.
    It can be art, cartoons/anime, or anything else.

If you think you are a furry then you are.
    Just like the parts you want to. Don't need a fursonia, or animal side, or character. Unless you want to.
    Some are just supporters of the fandom.

Also no it wasn't rude, you were just wondering. No harm in that. :3

As someone who has no furry tendencies, but who has become interested in it due to the ABDL link, I found this thread to be very useful and informative. Thanks all, adisc rules