Thread: These are the kinds of thoughts i have when i start getting tired.

Default These are the kinds of thoughts i have when i start getting tired.

I apologize in advance for the absurdity of this post.

After a long awaited birth, the parent finally gets a definite confirmation of of their child's gender when the doctor holds up the baby, and exclaims (for example), "It's a boy!"

Is it just me, or is this a widespread social grammatical blunder? My thoughts are that, if you know what gender the baby is, and you're announcing the gender, then you really do NOT need to use a neuter third person personal pronoun.

It's almost like the doctor doesn't know what gender the baby is until reaching the very end of the statement. Maybe they're giving themselves extra time just to make sure. Maybe the Doctor sees the infant as an object rather than a life, or perhaps the doctor feels concerned about imposing social roles on the child.

Either way, the pronoun does hold the suspense to the very end of the statement (which is probably the last thing a mother needs after the ordeal of childbirth) but i would be quite concerned for the child's health if i was told that my baby was an, "It." It does happen, and i hear it can be dangerous.

Maybe it's just too much to ask that someone who goes through 9 or more years of school that we entrust our lives to know the very basics of their native language?

Haha, that is rather something odd now that I think about it. Generally, a mother will know the gender of her baby before he/she (see what I did there) is born. But when the doctor births the baby and exclaims "It's a boy/girl!" it would just be fitting for the mother to stare dumbfounded at the doctor like "duh, dumbass. You told me 2 (or whatever) months ago!"

I guess there are certain scenarios where the gender of the baby just cannot be determined until birth. In that case I believe the pronoun "it" refers to the fact that it is a baby and the exclamation is a past-present tense confusion in order to catch the attention of the audience. I would really like to say that this saying is really only used in movies because it adds some stupid dramatic effect, but I could be very wrong.

To some doctors, maybe its a force of habit to say "It's..." and not to say something like "You've given birth to a baby boy/girl". Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the American language is so full of unclear words and words that have lost their meaning that the technical meaning you find in some phrases tends to make no sense grammatically.

But could you imagine? "Congratulations Mrs. Anderson, it's a... it's a... ummm... what is IT?

Quote Originally Posted by Abdljosh View Post
    But could you imagine? "Congratulations Mrs. Anderson, it's a... it's a... ummm... what is IT?
    Looks like a baby to me Doc. *puts on spectacles*

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Abdljosh View Post
    I guess there are certain scenarios where the gender of the baby just cannot be determined until birth. In that case I believe the pronoun "it" refers to the fact that it is a baby
    I am inclined to agree with Abdlhsh's view point. Perhaps back in the day when the technology didn't exist to allow the parent to know gender of the baby until the birth. It might just be that the term 'it' just carried on down through the decades.

I'd suggest it's because the baby is a baby first and foremost - certainly the parents-to-be, whether they know the sex of their imminent child or not, will constantly call it 'the baby'. And to others, the child is not a real thing - a real person - until they're actually born (I definitely experienced this with my nephew!)...

By this logic, 'it' remains a baby until 'it' is out the womb, whereupon it finally becomes a boy or girl.

Just the way I see it.