Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collar Critique

Default Collar Critique

Made my very own collar, is still missing something, but it is not bad for $3 worth of materials. Give me your opinions. I want to add some metal studs around the middle, or maybe something else.

Also ignore the excess bit going around the back, when worn with my fursuit, it's not there because I have to make it larger, the pic was taken with the collar being closed to its smallest.

that looks great!
    i really want to get a collar, but i really don't want to get one that doesn't match me.

anyway, that's a really good-lookin one, especially for being handmade!

Not too bad, gets the job done. The tag is very nice and it looks cute with both being orange. Did you buy the tag (where? ) or make it?

I would be careful about people pulling on it too hard. The single line stitching looks a bit insufficient and, judging by the loose ends, it also looks like it wasn't backstitched (if done with a machine) or knotted off (if hand sewn). It's a little hard to see, so forgive me if I'm wrong on this and you did do one of these two things. If you didn't, you might want to just to prevent the stitching coming undone on its own.

Check out the stitching on these dog collars: http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures...og-collars.jpg

Upgrading your stitch work to something like that (the X inside of a square [X]) and combining it with backstitching would make it more durable and authentic-looking.

Also, it's hard to tell, but if the free ends of your collar are just the cut nylon, they will fray eventually. You can prevent that by melting the ends with a lighter. A few quick passes of the end over a flame should do the trick. You might want to practice on a spare piece if you have one; sometimes the nylon melts faster than anticipated.

Nice head, by the way--love the spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Not too bad, gets the job done. The tag is very nice and it looks cute with both being orange. Did you buy the tag (where? ) or make it?

I would be careful about people pulling on it too hard. The single line stitching looks a bit insufficient and, judging by the loose ends, it also looks like it wasn't backstitched (if done with a machine) or knotted off (if hand sewn). It's a little hard to see, so forgive me if I'm wrong on this and you did do one of these two things. If you didn't, you might want to just to prevent the stitching coming undone on its own.

Check out the stitching on these dog collars: http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures...og-collars.jpg

Upgrading your stitch work to something like that (the X inside of a square [X]) and combining it with backstitching would make it more durable and authentic-looking.

Also, it's hard to tell, but if the free ends of your collar are just the cut nylon, they will fray eventually. You can prevent that by melting the ends with a lighter. A few quick passes of the end over a flame should do the trick. You might want to practice on a spare piece if you have one; sometimes the nylon melts faster than anticipated.

Nice head, by the way--love the spots.
    Actually they are both red, I machine sewed it, but am not used to this machine, I will go back and reenforce it, because yeah it is a pretty poor job on the sewing. I was going to use the X method, but again, bad with the machine, and I can't hand sew worth beans. As soon as I can find my lighter I will melt the ends.

The tag was purchased at RMFC, it's a bottle opener that I figured would be perfect to use as a tag. If I can acquire the proper tools I will make another one that is personalized. I prefer to make my stuff, I feel more accomplished about it than if it is store bought.

Oops, I see from the bottom photo that it is indeed red. I'm not a fan of hand-sewing, either, especially with thick materials like doubled-up nylon. If you need an easy way to turn the corners on the square, use the hand wheel on your machine to bring the needle down through the fabric (securing it in place), then lift the foot to free up the fabric. You can rotate the collar freely, using the needle as a pivot point. This way, there is no need to stop sewing and cut the thread when you change directions and the stitches stay evenly spaced.

I agree with you on making one's own stuff. It's more fun and means more that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    The tag was purchased at RMFC, it's a bottle opener that I figured would be perfect to use as a tag.
    Bottle opener O.O
    That just makes it even more awesome.

Cygnus

Looks really great! I love the nylon, very dog collar-ish compared to some other ones you can get online. Plus, that's a really good looking fursuit. I would have preferred an actual dog-tag but that one looks great, and is sized perfectly for a suit. Good job!

It is now resewn, but still looks like crap, because I can't sew. If worse comes to worse, the Nylon is only 0.83 cents a yard, and what is pictured is exactly 1 yard. So I make a new one. Which I probably will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    It is now resewn, but still looks like crap, because I can't sew. If worse comes to worse, the Nylon is only 0.83 cents a yard, and what is pictured is exactly 1 yard. So I make a new one. Which I probably will anyway.
    well, in any case, it's still way better than anything i could do. :I

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    well, in any case, it's still way better than anything i could do. :I
    It's actually easier than it looks. Just measure your neck and add approx 6 inches for a regular collar, I needed more for the fursuit. From there get rings that you put keys on, or walmart sells clip thingies, then get a buckle like you find on backpacks or fanny packs (lol fanny pack) Thread the Nylon through it and sew it, or if you want to go the cheap "I can't sew route" I once used Gorilla Glue to keep my seams together. It worked, but it is permanent and takes a day to dry, plus if you clamp it wrong, then it sticks to the clamp and becomes a female dog to get off.

EDIT: The only reason I have the metal key ring, is because I measured wrong and ended up needing to connect the 2 halves again. But it worked out for the better.

I like the design. You've done a good job keeping all the ends on the outside. Unmelted edges on the inside fray, melted ones scratch and itch. This is a better way. Personally I like my collars thick! There are ways that you can zigzag it back and forth between the ends and create double or triple ply collars. It looks great and it's a nice way to hide the ends, but it requires a lot of stitching down the sides. I'll show you how if you're interested.