This was inspired by COCOHLEN http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=475
How could we figure out how many *b/dl's are out there? Are my gloomy estimates out of whack? I hope so...
If we can base any conclusions on the number of people using forums, I think an appropriate country might be Sweden. or another scandinavian country for these reasons:
1. The country should be pretty much monolingual and the native language not being too widespread outside the country. One could assume that monolingual native-speakers would stick to forums of their native tongue. All languages have spillover into neighbouring countries, and most languages are intelligible to a reasonable degree to speakers of other similar tongues.
2. One would want to pick a country with a small population, say 10 000 000 or under to minimise the ratio of forums to population, thus reducing the problem of membership across several boards. This would also make statistical sampling more significant.
3. I have a gut feeling that one wants to consider a developed country. I bet infantilistic tendencies are a part of human nature, like x-dressing. But for there to be a diaper fetish, diapers would have to be different from regular clothing. If absolutely everyone in a culture wears loincloths, say, or grass skirts, or runs around naked, I think fetishistic attachment to a diaper as an item of clothing must be less likely. Whether one likes terry cloth/plastic pants, plastic-backed disposables, or goodnights, the smell, sound, texture are intrinsic to the fetish. (If say, men and women all wore the same clothes in a culture could there even be x-dressing?) So I would look at a country with a history of "western-style" diapers being the cultural norm.
4. Obviously the country must be "wired" ie there must be reasonably high internet penetration.
5. A liberal democracy would be helpful, where there is a reasonably high acceptance of non-conformity, and freedom of association, and free speech exist.
6. Population density should be high overall.
7. The country should be reasonably wealthy and free of strife, with consumer goods available. I suspect the middle east is full of people with *b/dl tendencies, but (in the strife-torn bits) people have "more important" things to think about. Countries, or parts of countries where people earn a subsistence living will not only have a population without money to spend on non-necessities but the people wouldn't have the free time (or privacy) to devote to such activities.
Japan might also be a good candidate.