Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do these people get into this type of job?

Default How do these people get into this type of job?

I went to a local medical supply store today and it was an excruciating experience. I wasn't even buying for myself but rather for my father who is not incontinent but every couple of weeks he has been going into uncontrollable diarrhea for 24 hours. After that time he regains complete control. He is an amputee and needs to use a bedpan normally because he cannot transfer to a commode or toilet. First I was given a hard time because I did not want the pullup style that they had given me as a free sample last time I went there. My father cannot stand at all so it is very hard to pull down a pullup enough to be able to use his urinal. Then I had to explain to four different people why I needed something with either velcro or resealable tabs. I told each one at the beginning that he only needed it for diarrhea but they still couldn't wrap their heads around why he would need to open and close it. One lady even went so far as to say "You know you are not suppose to reuse soiled diapers." I kept telling them that my father still wanted to use his urinal while wearing the diaper. As someone who wears diapers for enjoyment it astounds me that I am more understanding than these so called "professionals" who deal with people buying diapers on a daily basis, why someone who needs to use diapers for one thing would not want to use them for the other if they don't have to.

It wasn't just me that these people gave a hard time. A guy came in after me with a prescription for a commode and they asked him who it was was for. When he said it was for himself they gave him a hard time because he walked in there fine and he had to explain to the person that he was going into the hospital very soon for a spinal operation before they would sell him the commode.

How do people like this get into a field where you are suppose to show compassion and understanding.I was already planning on buying the bulk of his diapers online. The only reason why I even went there was because I was looking for a backup place to get diapers for my father in case of an emergency. Since his need is very sporadic it would be nice to have someplace to go if we come up short. He can go for weeks without needing one then use 6 in one day. He can't even use mine since he is a larger size than me. I guess I'll have to plan ahead with buying since I am never going back to that store again.

I'm done with my rant. Has anyone else had a bad experience like this with a medical supply store?

That's pretty surprising, actually, as most of the medical supply stores realize their bread and butter is in providing good service. My experiences, both as a recreational shopper and later as a legitimate shopper, were exemplary. Hell, the store near where I used to live carried Molicares for awhile, and when they decided to stop carrying them (turns out I was the only one buying them), they sold me the rest of the stock for literally pennies on the dollar just to clear the floor space.

That said, if there are other stores in your area, I'd stop back into the one that gave you a bad time and tell them that, hey, you guys have lost my business, and I'll go chat with the folks down the street.

I don't drive and this one was a 45 minute bus ride and then a 20 minute walk away. The next closest one is a 30 minute bus ride in the other direction but then a 2 mile walk from the bus stop. I might check it out in a couple of weeks after I cool down from this experience.

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

When I went the first time I was told to come back with his insurance card(I had no idea that some insurances cover this). The first person was very friendly and helpful, she just wasn't knowledgeable. When I came in today she was very happy to see that I was back and brought me to the supposedly best person to help me.When they found out that he had an insurance that wouldn't cover diapers their attitudes changed.

The hardest time I got from one was when I went in shopping for diaper covers for myself. They laughed me out of there. I guess they don't realize that sometimes we "overflow".

Quote Originally Posted by ipfreely2day View Post
    The hardest time I got from one was when I went in shopping for diaper covers for myself. They laughed me out of there. I guess they don't realize that sometimes we "overflow".
    Really? Diapers can only hold so much? Didn't know.
    (spoken in the voice of one of those people)

That's just fail in my opinion. Who cares who needs what, their job is to deliver an item the customer wants. You wouldn't ask someone why they want pepperonni on their pizza would you? So it shouldn't be different why you need a plastic pants for a diaper. The person has their reason and you make money, win win... Ugh, irks me like crazy.

jeez, i can imagine the frustration there. The first time I went in to pick up caths at a local med store (before I got the prescription) they were more than happy to help but said I really should have one first. I got several and walked out with no problem. Later going in to get more and they had some different diapers I hadn't heard of but looked promising I got them without a problem too. The times since I had a script so there def wasn't a problem but the times before were still very polite. They def need better people over there!

I have had both experiences, Duluth,Mn's medical supply store told me to "show us your insurance card or leave" when I got 2 steps in the door. In Eagan though, they liked cash as much as anything, and worked hard to find me good samples and match diapers

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post
    I have had both experiences, Duluth,Mn's medical supply store told me to "show us your insurance card or leave" when I got 2 steps in the door. In Eagan though, they liked cash as much as anything, and worked hard to find me good samples and match diapers
    I'm happy for you on that second time around. Customer Service should be a mindset, not an inconvenience.

Depends, In my line of work, Today in fact, we lost 2 accounts, and were happy to be rid of them, boss actually said 'Have a nice life' to the client (client was a superbitch to the extreme) ran into a med supply store once, in a bind. the diapers were crap (best they had), and I ended up soaking the drivers' seat of my mom's car inside of an hour.not nice.

This is sad that you went through this. Yes medical supply stores should be more compassionate then what they were. So far I haven't had a bad experience even when I was out of town. I personally am at the point in my life that if this happened to me, I would stop them all and give them an education in the products and even talk to the manger as well as the the owners know what happened. I pray that when you go to the other store that you will find the workers there more compassionate and able to help you.