Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Worship

Default Child Worship

I saw a news story today that was talking about how our parents were cared for as infants vs. how infants are cared for today. Such as drop down cribs and how you canít use those anymore. Thatís all well and good but it pointed out how when our parents were kids they took risks. They road their bikes without helmets they climbed trees and broke their arms and now you donít see that.

Iíve seen kids that have climbed trees broken their arms and ran to tell their parents but they werenít crying they just knew ďOh broken arm, that needs to be fixed.Ē However once the parent sees the kid with a broken arm they go hysteric like their child is close to death. I've been told that you can't even play tag now in schools because they are afraid that a kid is going to get hurt and the parent is going to sue the school. Interesting to see how our parents had all the fun of sex, drugs and violence and we can't unless you have smart parents.

Drinking
    My parents let me drink at 17 because they knew that I wouldn't take advantage of it and that I would find my limits and stick to them.

Sex
    It was never drilled into my head "Don't have sex until you get married because that's what God wants." It was how much money it takes to raise a child from what I've read it's roughly $200,000 from birth to 18 yrs old; but I think it may be more and I didnít want to have that much responsibility at an age weíre Iím still discovering who I am.

Violence
    I was bullied a lot in school and my father always said

"If someone tries messing with you ignore it. If that doesn't work tell a teacher. If that doesn't work punch the fucker in the face and see if he fucks with you anymore. As long as I don't hear that you aren't starting fights and just defending yourself I don't care if you fight."

Another point is violent video games. My mom has never been a big fan of them and has always tried to stress that she has no problem with me playing them but to spread out how often you play them; Don't spend 8 hours on GTA IV killing hookers.

It's times like this I am reminded about what George Carlin said. George Carlin -Child Worship

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I saw a news story today that was talking about how our parents were cared for as infants vs. how infants are cared for today...
    can you link the news story?

I think you forgot banning dodgeball.

The teachers really get the worst of it, parents often blame the teacher for a child's low score on test, homework not being done, or even not showing up at school. They typically complain to the teachers on how their child deserves a better grade. Parents are probably the biggest reason teachers quit.

-----------------

My own parents are a special case. They were hardcore on me and my sister(Spent a huge portion of her childhood grounded for being a normal kid), but really lax on my brother who they allow to were Goodnights to bed into his teen years.

Also, I don't see why this is an 18+ subject. I wouldn't mind teens talking about this.

Like just about everything else, they tool a legitimate problem and went _way_ overboard with it.

As a society we suck at compromise and middle ground. We went from teachers beating students to the point of serious injury, to teachers getting in trouble for speaking in a "threatening voice".

On the subject of drinking and drugs, I agree that they are doing more harm than good with their extreme scare tactics. Problem with this is, when a kid does smoke a joint and doesn't immediately lapse into a 10 year coma, he then chucks out all the information he's been given about drugs. I think they'd have more luck if they gave reasonable truthful information about the risks of drinking and drugs .. rather than "zomg if you touch that stuff your life is over".

The video game thing is interesting, because I actually do believe it encourages people. Yes, 99.99% of gamers can spend hours shooting people from a roof top with no ill-effect... but there is going to be that .01% of people who decide they want to try it out in real life. Yes these people were clearly messed up to begin with, and yes they may have been set off by something else if they hadn't played the game.. but then again they may not have. They may have taken that messed up section of their brain with them to the grave, it having never been triggered. All that said, I'd rather have my video games and movies and books and comics and take the chance that I'm the guy that gets shot than live in a nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by SubterraneanSun View Post
    I think you forgot banning dodgeball.

The teachers really get the worst of it, parents often blame the teacher for a child's low score on test, homework not being done, or even not showing up at school. They typically complain to the teachers on how their child deserves a better grade. Parents are probably the biggest reason teachers quit.
    Hey we hope for better times right? I want to live long enough to see the pendulum swing back to personal accountability but this was the reason I never taught think of how much the average parent loves their children and X that by 150. Before I student taught I would never have struck a child in my life but in my 6 months there were a few that would benefited from a few sharp blows to the back of the head. In short Mom and Dad I'm sorry your kid is an incompetent who is in 11th grade and can't right a paragraph but he isn't ready for college. This is a part of my life that is too painful for me to ever articulate maybe if any of you out there are thinking of going into teaching you'll have an easier time of it then I did but frankly even in this economy there are still easier ways to make a living. That isn't to say that teachers shouldn't work hard and be passionate about what they do but they shouldn't be used as the whipping boy for everything that is wrong in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Hey[,] we hope for better times right? I want to live long enough to see the pendulum swing back to personal accountability but this was the reason I [was] never taught think of how much the average parent loves their children and X that by 150. Before I student taught I would never have struck a child in my life but in my 6 months there were a few that would benefited from a few sharp blows to the back of the head. In short[,] ["]Mom and Dad I'm sorry your kid is an incompetent who is in 11th grade and can't right a paragraph[,] but he isn't ready for college.["] This is a part of my life that is too painful for me to ever articulate[, but] maybe if any of you out there are thinking of going into teaching you'll have an easier time of it then I did but frankly even in this economy there are still easier ways to make a living. (RUN ON SENTENCE!) That isn't to say that teachers shouldn't work hard and be passionate about what they do but they shouldn't be used as the whipping boy for everything that is wrong in society.
    Are you a teacher? If you are/were, I doubt you were entirely blameless in their "poor performance."

If you aren't a teacher... Whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I saw a news story today that was talking about how our parents were cared for as infants vs. how infants are cared for today. Such as drop down cribs and how you canít use those anymore. Thatís all well and good but it pointed out how when our parents were kids they took risks. They road their bikes without helmets they climbed trees and broke their arms and now you donít see that.

Iíve seen kids that have climbed trees broken their arms and ran to tell their parents but they werenít crying they just knew ďOh broken arm, that needs to be fixed.Ē However once the parent sees the kid with a broken arm they go hysteric like their child is close to death. I've been told that you can't even play tag now in schools because they are afraid that a kid is going to get hurt and the parent is going to sue the school. Interesting to see how our parents had all the fun of sex, drugs and violence and we can't unless you have smart parents.
    Unfortunately, I can't find or post links to them right now, but I do know that some studies have been done that are showing that kids today are more likely to get SERIOUSLY hurt as they get older. Why? Because everything now has been turned into soft, harmless stuff where you can't get in any danger or hurt yourself.

Playgrounds rarely have swings--you can jump off them at the apex and potentially hurt yourself. Climbing structures that get higher than a couple feet are rare--they're a fall hazard. When I was in elementary school we had poles that were 20+ feet tall to climb to the top using hands and feet. Far too high for today's standards. Children today never learn what danger and risk actually ARE.

That said, many people today have become the generation where, "It's not my fault." If I have a kid who screws up, it's the school or the teacher, it's nothing that I've taught or shown them, right? If I have issues or problems, it was my parents, it's the food I ate, it was the school I went to, whatever...isn't it? After all, people are trying to sue McDonald's for making them fat instead of realizing that eating that crap for every meal every week is the issue.

I'm told I never get upset or bitter about this sort of crap. Yeah, right!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAshley View Post
    Are you a teacher? If you are/were, I doubt you were entirely blameless in their "poor performance."

If you aren't a teacher... Whatever...
    OK two things please don't editorialize my posts even if it is well intentioned and don't use the word "whatever" as a supporting argument its just a demonstration that you can't articulate what you are trying to say.

Well I was only one or two examples not all children are precious little snowflakes without any negative personality traits I worked the system when I was in trouble during my school years and so did those kids. And yes I only student taught but that is why they make you go through that process to decide weather or not it is right for you.

Unless you've seen if from the other side of the desk you wouldn't entirely understand what I was saying. If you're still in High School I understand your feelings on that issue you never earned your bad grade on that assignment the mean teacher "gave it to you" I'm not saying that there haven't been instances where one teacher has it in for a student but the vast majority of the time teachers are to busy doing this or that to have time for specific antagonistic relationships.

The good old fashioned 3r's are a foundation laid primarily in the elementary school years there are things like learning disabilities that made it difficult for a child to learn but just because a thing is difficult doesn't mean its impossible and the old guard of teachers holding on trying to install the concepts get fewer and fewer every year because of the nonsense they have to put up with. K-7 has a relatively strong foundation to it the danger comes in later years when emphasis is placed on standardized testing which benefits no one at the school level and is only included because most of the time potential funding is tied to the results. The results of education are not immediately quantifiable and to think they are is crazy.

I can give you a specific example of an attempt to not hurt my feelings resulted in a lifetime determent because of my disability in my younger days there was a problem with my hands. I could print OK but to teach me other forms of stenography was deemed to be a determinant to my Self Esteem Hence I never learned to write cursive and have always admired people who could do it. What I am trying to say is that if a student just skated by for years and decides he wants to go to college because that is the end result of the K-12 system weather the student is ready or qualified you cannot overcome a lifetime of functional illiteracy in two years. The classroom isn't the most important aspect to teaching its the home.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Playgrounds rarely have swings--you can jump off them at the apex and potentially hurt yourself. Climbing structures that get higher than a couple feet are rare--they're a fall hazard. When I was in elementary school we had poles that were 20+ feet tall to climb to the top using hands and feet. Far too high for today's standards. Children today never learn what danger and risk actually ARE.
    Makes me glad I grew up in such a dangerous time when playgrounds had swings (with a bar more than 8' off the ground!), see-saws, jungle gyms, and sand boxes. PE class still had ropes that went up about 20 feet like those poles you mentioned, and you were expected to climb to the top. No soft, cushy material if you fell off the equipment either, except for mats under the ropes in PE. I clunked my noggin more than once in elementary school years out in the school yard and I'm still around with no lasting injuries or damage to my brain. I notice even the newer coin operated rides barely move nowadays compared to the old rides. Guess the amusement ride makers and owners are worried a child will flip off if it moves too fast and they'll get sued, so they've geared the speed down to a crawl.

It's true, people in general have lost a sense of responsibility for their own actions, particularly parents with their children. A child gets hurt by or on something and the parent is ready to litigate the life out of someone or some company - it's never their fault. Being into baby gear, I keep up on a lot of the complaints and litigations parents have with baby gear companies when their child gets hurt. Sometimes there is a legitimate safety flaw that needs to be corrected, but most of the time the problem isn't with the item, it's with the user not heeding the warnings always clearly stated - "Adult supervision required" and "Do not leave child unattended". So, when a child almost strangles him/herself trying to wiggle out of a stroller seat while mom or dad is occupied with something else or yakking needlessly on a cell phone and paying no attention, it's definitely the stroller manufacturer's fault for not making the stroller 110% wiggle proof. Why...who else's fault could it be? Surely not the parent!

Quitting now before I go into a full scale rant...

~Pramrider

"Are you a teacher? If you are/were, I doubt you were entirely blameless in their "poor performance."

If you aren't a teacher... Whatever... " -Princess Ashley

I agree partially with you, Ashley. But there are a LOT of students that require extra tutoring, extra attention, etc. to fully achieve what they are capable of; no, this is not the sole purpose of the teacher.... the teacher is there to connect with many students a day. It requires a partnership with the teacher, student, and especially the parents. Likewise, the student needs to be able to connect personally with the teacher as well as peer, their parents, their siblings; we've all had terrible teachers, right? But also good ones... Teachers, i feel, can be dumped on as a "fix" for a family "problem child", or they are shy, etc, they need the extra help. But teachers only have so much time in a day... like all of us. They are f**king human, only so much they can do.

But getting to Takashi's main point, I think that as we are a more autonomous society, we tend to fixate on ourselves, and can begin to mislead our children because of this desire to simultaneously protect them and help them become independent.
    George Carlin is great! He even brings up the point of the special examinations that preschoolers take to get a head start in life... he calls it "A sophisticated form of child abuse". I totally agree with that! Some parents do try to live vicariously through their kids. And their children will be taking care of them, when their older, thanks to our longer life spans :-) They will remember taking the exam very early in life.. and the pressure... unlike the rest of the "winners" that are getting ahead simply by being America. Obviously George Carlin is exaggerating, but not by much, unfortunately. I think this has become an issue for the United States, so I'm glad you brought it up, Takashi!