Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotch Whiskey?

Default Scotch Whiskey?

On the subject of alcohol, as I see there are now several threads devoted to the nectar of the gods, I wanted to ask a question:

If any of you like to enjoy Whiskey, (READ: Enjoy, not get pissed or shitfaced) I was wondering how you like to drink it?
    You know, with ice or just bare? With added flavours, or dilluted by adding extra water?

I'm sure there are hundreds of different methods to do so, but if you had to choose just one, which will it be?

EmeraldsAndLime

On the rocks in a tumbler, of course...

Although I can usually only tolerate a little nip of it, unless it's mixed. I'm not one for straight-up liquor.

Well...back in the old days...when I actually drank alcohol...I was known for my ability to down whiskey shots with beer chasers! I'm not so sure that's actually something to be proud of...but as a (then) 5'2", 110 lb 20-something female...my guy friends found it AMAZING!

Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskey, is best served neat, with a drop of water to release the flavors.

Personally, I like Bourbon more then anything.

Jack Daniels and Sprite in a chaser glass(is that right? The glass is like an hourglass, one liquid on the bottom, and another floats above that) You put the Sprite in first, then the Whiskey on top of that. Good combo.

On the rocks, in a tumbler, or straight is good too. I'm not real picky.
    Last edited by Drosera; 16-Aug-2008 at 18:23.

In times past, I have sipped whiskey straight from a glass. At this time, I usually mix it with soda. I have not tried a true Scotch Whiskey. Jack Daniels single barrel is as fancy as I get.

Somewhat pedantic here, but Scotch is spelt without an 'e'. Whisky. Whiskey comprises all varieties that aren't Scottish.

I like Scotch, especially single malt, although cheap whisky is dreadful. I like bourbon and coke, although I can't stand JD, but I don't usually drink bourbon neat.

I've drunk cheap whisky from the bottle--it's rough, but you can get it down. Good whisky I like neat, in a whisky snifter, which concentrates the aromas. Maybe just a little water for cask strength, but not much. I feel like ice ruins a good malt--you can't taste anything like as much, and tasting it is the whole point. If you add ice, you might as well drink Jim Beam with coke and save the money. Just my opinion, of course. My mother drinks all her whisky with ice.

What are your favourites?

In blends, I like Johnny Walker Red, although I keep meaning to try/get into the Black. Single Malt, there's one called Ancnoc, aged 15 years, unchillfiltered, which is really good. Laphroig is a good malt, but it's almost medicinal. I usual like Speyside whiskys better than Islay malts. And for Bourbon, I like Wild Turkey and Bulliet. I keep meaning to try Knob Creek or Maker's Mark, but I'm not in bars much, and I don't usually keep more in my flat than a bottle of whisky for me and a bottle of vodka for my girlfriend. And beer, of course.

Oooo, hundredth post!

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    Well...back in the old days...when I actually drank alcohol...I was known for my ability to down whiskey shots with beer chasers! I'm not so sure that's actually something to be proud of...but as a (then) 5'2", 110 lb 20-something female...my guy friends found it AMAZING!
    When I drank more, I used to order a pint of bitter and a double whisky. Got you drunk pretty fast, for sure. Not many women who can do whiskey shots, good on you!
    Last edited by Charlie; 16-Aug-2008 at 20:59. Reason: merging

There's a nightclub here who does $1 shots between 10pm and 11pm on a Thursday night. Once upon a time, me and a friend order 100 shots of the house Whiskey and start taking the shots from either end, figuring we'd meet in the middle. I think I made it to about 29 before I gave up..he made it a little further, to about 37 or so. Still, we had a crowd for it, which was great XD

I prefer Rum the most. But then again I never tried any of the other spirits aside vodka.