Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Erotic Location Target Error"

Default "Erotic Location Target Error"

This really bothers me. Now, I know Wikipedia can be written by anyone, but this theory is found in an Oxford Psychology book.

Erotic location target error

Another theory is that infantilism is an erotic identity disorder where the erotic fantasy is centred on the self rather than on a sexual partner and results from an erotic targeting location error where the erotic target was children yet becomes inverted. According to this model infantilism is an autoerotic form of paedophilia
    Thoughts? Honestly, it really has me feeling kind of sick and depressed. I've been looking around for the source of my infantilism, as it has been really intrusive in my life lately. And the more I read, the worse I feel.

Wow dude that is definatly not true. Whoever wrote that is obviously not informed about us. Dont feel bad dude. Be proud of who you are!

psychology also includes freud

seriously though psychology is such a soft science that its really quite hard to back up these generally lackadasical assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by Possibly Insane View Post
    ...where the erotic fantasy is centred on the self rather than on a sexual partner...
    Heh, well clearly someone at Oxford didn't do their research. Doesn't the very notion of having a mommy or daddy negate this? Making infantilism solely about the adult baby is pretty myopic.

According to this model infantilism is an autoerotic form of paedophilia
    This is the more troubling part. I see what the rational is, but association with pedophilia is not good mojo for ABDLs. Hopefully, the idea won't catch on.

I'm frankly pretty surprised about this, as I usually hold OUP in very high regard, and this doesn't really seem to hold up to their standards of academia. It might be the case that because there's so little academic work on the topic, there isn't much in the way of peer reviewing either. I'd like to read this book for myself and so accurate Wikipedia's summary is. If I can locate it in one of the various universities around here, I'll let everyone know.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, the fact that most AB/DL play is caregiver/baby. Even so, the suggestion is very disturbing to me.

I wouldn't put much store by this - this sort of "psychology" (most of which is rather untestable and thus hardly qualifies as a science) is almost universally bullshit.

And even if it were true, so what? It would effectively change nothing about our kink - we don't victimize children, so why would you have anything to feel "sick and depressed" about?

Locke

However, it clearly states in the wikipedia page that this is just a hypothesis, and that AB/DL's are NOT pedophiles. It says that.

DPB

Well I believe this to be a load of garbage. Many of us TB's are not associated with pedophilia so they need to do research first

Quote Originally Posted by Possibly Insane View Post
    Thoughts? Honestly, it really has me feeling kind of sick and depressed. I've been looking around for the source of my infantilism, as it has been really intrusive in my life lately. And the more I read, the worse I feel.
    If there's one thing I'm certain of from my time here, there's not any one way that a person becomes *BDL. Many of us here find the pathology stemming from substandard childhoods, which to me makes sense. But that can't be universal because I (and many others) had perfectly happy childhoods.

Is it possible that some people are attracted to diapers in the way you mentioned? Absolutely. But if that's not what you are, then it's not what you are. Don't let what goes on in other people's heads make you feel bad about what goes on in yours.

The book should source this information (if it doesn't, it's a load of garbage). Tell me the source the book is quoting and I'll do some digging.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Tell me the source the book is quoting and I'll do some digging.
    The author cites two sources:

Cantor, James; Blanchard, Ray; Barbaree, Howard (2009). "Sexual Disorders". In Paul H. Blaney and Theodore Millon. Oxford Textbook of Psychopathology (2nd ed.). New York & Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 530–7.

Freund, K.; Blanchard, R. (1993). "Erotic target location errors in male gender dysphorics, paedophiles, and fetishists". The British journal of psychiatry : the journal of mental science 162: 558–563.

The odd thing about the former is that the 2nd ed. the Oxford Textbook of Psychopathology was published in 2008, so I don't see how there could be an article in it from 2009. I've seen some mention of an updated 2nd ed, but I can't find any publishing date for it.

Here's a link to the original article: Erotic Location Target Error