Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple iBook - Help?

Default Apple iBook - Help?

I have a 14" G3 iBook, the dual USB one running OSX 10.2.8 with 640MB Memory and 900MHz Processor. Just a cheap thing I bought online.

When I first switched it on it was working fine. Opened the disc drive to test it worked and it was fine. Played a DVD with it fine. Stopped it and ejected it then closed the disc tray and restarted after doing some software updates.

When I switched it back on the disc tray opened itself making a strange noise not like before just before it plays the startup chime. Its been doing this since I used the disc drive and it also does it when you power on from sleep too. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have tried the hardware test CD, Starting up in OS9, Blowing into the drive, Making sure eject buttons and mouse button aren't jammed at all, Reinstalling the OS and all apps using an external drive and doing all available updates. There are no devices connected to it, and it still does it.

If the disc drive needs replacing, how easy is it to open it up to get to it?

Thanks, And just thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas before I try to replace the drive.

Call apple their number is 1-800-myapple (memorized cuz I've screwed my iPod up on more than one occasion lol :P) or if your warranty is expired, try going to apples website and clicking on the support tab. You should also try downgrading it to the os it had before you did the software updates, that seems like when your problems started. Also you can always try eBay for a new disk drive, they've always got something. Hopefully you can get it working again

- Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There are a few topics about this problem on the Apple discussion boards. For instance:

Couldn't hurt to try calling Apple support, but I'm not sure what to expect out of them regarding a 10-year-old machine!

I probably wouldn't bother calling Apple, since that antique would be many years out of warranty. It's probably not that hard a job to replace the drive yourself, and there are probably cheap replacements on eBay. If the drive still works at all though, with a machine that old i'd most likely just learn to live with it.

I'll give Apple a call later or go over to the Apple store tomorrow before college. I'm expecting to be turned away though because its an old product that they haven't supported in a long time.

LilLeaker - Yeah I seen them all while I was searching on Google earlier. Every site I found has a few people describing the problem but never a solution.

Chanch0 - Yep the warranty expired a loooooooooooong time ago. The laptop is around 9yr old. Tried re-installing the original OS with no luck. And I was just checking online to see if there was any solution before I go out and spend money on another disc drive for it.

Wolf3188 - Exactly what I thought. Other than that there are no problems with it so I don't see any reason to get rid of it while its working almost perfectly. The drive does still work, yes, but each time it does it the sound seems to get lower and lower pitched, as if its slowly dying when it does that, plus I have difficulty starting from a disc because it spits it out on startup.

Ah, I see. Well, I don't really know what a 9 year old iBook is worth, but i'm guessing it can't be that much. I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to spend the money to replace the drive. I'd wait until it fails fully, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    If the disc drive needs replacing, how easy is it to open it up to get to it?
    Not at all easy, "Icebooks" are very hard to take apart. I had to replace the optical drive in my iBook G4 once, and vowed never again to open it up.

Sorry I can't quote on here for some reason.

Wolf3188 - Based on the reply below yours I'm gonna wait for it to die. As for the value, a little over 100 but its a computer with the Apple logo on, so its a desirable product still and works perfectly fine so I'd say its worth paying a little to keep it working as long as possible.

Gil - In what way? Frustrating and difficult or just took a long time to open up and put back together? I'll probably just leave it as it is for now, and if I do buy a replacement disc drive I'll give it to a friend to do for me. I know if something is hard to do or takes me a long time I usually just end up smashing it. Haven't got the time or patience to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Gil - In what way? Frustrating and difficult or just took a long time to open up and put back together?