Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with my BO

Default help with my BO

OK I take a average of 2 or 3 showers a day. I buy the strongest deodorant I can buy I evan us baby powder on the sweet spots. but yet I still have trouble with BO. should I go to a Docter about this? I just don't know what to do any more.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 08-Oct-2011 at 01:16. Reason: edited for clarity.

See a dermatologist. The mechanism of sweating is actually a lot more complicated than you think- it isn't always *just* sweating a lot. It could be a hormonal issue, or neurological. I actually had lunch with a professor once who mentioned having an interesting birth defect- he was born with the nerves that should have gone to his salivary glands pointing outward. Instead of salivating when he ate, he sweated (made eating that much harder, too- he'd go through a liter of water with every meal).

The mechanism of deodorant, meanwhile, is simple- it plugs up your sweat glands (which while a seeminly stupid way of working, is pretty effective). If you have some underlying condition that makes your body work differently than most others, simply using more strongly scented deodorant won't fix it. And you want to see a doctor about it anyway just to make sure it's not a sign of a hyperandrogenic issue.

thanks I just don't wont people thinking I have bad hygiene

Out of curiosity, have you had this condition for awhile? Seems like something that wouldn't just "switch on" overnight.

I bin having this problum sints I whas 14 but I figer it's just a teen body thing but I'm 22 now and still didlling with this

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    The mechanism of deodorant, meanwhile, is simple- it plugs up your sweat glands
    that's anti-perspirants
    deodorants just contain an anti-bacterial agent, such as triclosan, and some smelly gunk.

for the OP, failing all other remedies or prescriptions, you may want to think about what you wear. in terms of your skin's bacterial ecology/flora (something that everybody has), it may be an idea to deprive the bacteria of their cushy little crevice by allowing a greater air-flow (bacteria usually like warm, moist, low-oxygen environments). you can test it out simply by allowing your armpits to dry, openly, after they've been washed and thoroughly rinsed. if they still smell reasonably fresh after an hour of aerating, you know you're getting somewhere.

it's also worth bearing in mind your hormonal secretions; types of body odour tend to run in families due to the hormonal balance handed down and the types of bacteria that then encourages. some people just smell more and some nicer than others simply by it being in their blood.

some people just smell more and some nicer than others simply by it being in their blood. well that's just unfair. well thank you for your evies.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    for the OP, failing all other remedies or prescriptions, you may want to think about what you wear. in terms of your skin's bacterial ecology/flora. . . . some people just smell more and some nicer than others simply by it being in their blood.
    This is true with colones as well. Pending on the body's chemistry, some people can wear oil based colones while others can only wear alcohol based colones. I am among those who can wear both. So it could simply be your body's chemistry.

Are you on any drugs? scripts I mean. I've had a few that made me smell horrible. but the pit aeration definitely does the trick for me (as previously stated above) I also find I stink more when bathing TOO MUCH, try to limit it to twice a day. for some strange reason, I've noticed that washing too much strips oils out of the skin, it can also end up favoring the extra stinky bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    Are you on any drugs? scripts I mean. I've had a few that made me smell horrible. but the pit aeration definitely does the trick for me (as previously stated above) I also find I stink more when bathing TOO MUCH, try to limit it to twice a day. for some strange reason, I've noticed that washing too much strips oils out of the skin, it can also end up favoring the extra stinky bacteria.
    WOW I never think that showering too much well coes you to stink.
    no I'm not on any thing at the time being. I whas on some drugs for my ADHD win I whas in school but win I grajrated I whas no longer covered in my mom health inshints plan. So as of to day I'm not on any things be side vidumints.