Thread: Dead giveaway overreactions

Angry Dead giveaway overreactions

One day while I was in high school I was hanging out with my friend Scott. Scott was playing a game on his computer, and I was sitting on his bed reading a magazine. I noticed that between Scott's bed and his wall he had a small piece of luggage and a small piece of bright neon pink/red fabric was peeking out of it. I was interested, and pulled on it. The top ("boobs part") of a skinny-teenage-girl-sized two-piece swimsuit came out of the luggage. I held it up, and said "Ooh! What's this?!"

And Scott FREAKED OUT. He turned bright red in the face. It suddenly seemed like nothing on Earth or in Heaven could have slowed him down from his quest to (1) get that out of my hand, (2) get that back in that luggage, (3) put that luggage somewhere else, and (4) change the conversation topic. Whatever he distracted my attention with, I don't know, it wasn't important. His impressively strong reaction was the important part.

He could have said, "Oh, my friend Erica left that here, I've been meaning to give it back to her." Or he could have even said "It's a gift for my cousin." Instead, his reaction left me with the distinct impression that I had done something highly embarrassing and I was in possession of something personally valuable. It was about Scott's size. I figure it was his, and he liked to wear it. He was never interested in discussing it, and I wasn't interested enough to ask.

Fast-forward to mid-2000, when I lived alone in an apartment. I was on my computer when my friends Billy and Eric stopped by. I went to the living room to hang out and eventually started doing the dishes. Eric decided to use my computer without asking me. Even if he asked, I would have said yes, because I had completely forgot that I had left ICQ logged in. (If you never used it, ICQ was the first big "instant messaging client" before AOL bought them out and even before that term was popular.) I had shared my ICQ User-ID on some AB/DL websites. While Eric was using my computer, someone chose that moment to message me. And as I'm doing the dishes, Eric walks up and says "Hey, this guy wants to know if you're the whisko who likes to wear diapers."

And I FREAKED OUT. Red-faced and with hands still dripping with dish soap, I rushed to find out who it was and close ICQ and stammered that it was some stupid and unappreciated inside joke. I could have said "Uh, no. Who's asking?" In retrospect, my reaction was a giant flashing neon sign that there was some truth to that statement. Eric eventually lived with me for a few months, and if he knew or suspected anything, he wasn't interested enough in my possible "liking to wear diapers" to bring it up.

Do you have a story about a time you overreacted in the same kind of way? Or, on the other hand, do you have a plan for how you will respond in case the subject comes up?

I can't lie, I found this quite amusing and reminds me of things that has happened to me. When it comes as quick of a shock you can't think of many excuses to cover up the story, they are usually pretty lame.

In high school I had some anime images on my ipod touch, I remember a friend of mine asking if he could borrow it. I didn't even *think* about the images being on there, and sure enough he wanders into the pictures folder and asks why I had a bunch of anime pics of people in diapers. I don't exactly remember my lame excuse but it was -quite- embarrassing. The person who found that out later found out anyways, or rather I just told him; we are still kind of friends, just I don't talk to anyone from high school anymore.

I remember a time, when I was living alone in an apartment. I had tried drinking from bottles, to see what it would be like while diapered. Well, I had drank one bottle, but the other was on the shelf inside the door of the fridge. My sister came over later that afternoon. I brewed up some coffee for us to drink and when she opened the door to get the milk out to use as a creamer,,,,the baby bottle was right there in plain sight. She asked what it was doing there. Thankfully, I didn't freak out, I just remained seated in the front room and called into the kitchen that it belonged to a friend of mine that was over earlier that day with her little kid. And that I had to remember to get it back to her. Lucky for me she believed it and nothing more was said.

Man, I wish I had stories like this. When I find out something embarrassing about someone, I tend to keep it to myself.

I love hoarding secrets about people. I usually could care less about revealing or discussing a secret.

My son and grand kids came over one Saturday while my wife and I were doing laundry. He just walked into the laundry room, and there on the farthest back part of the line was a couple of diapers hanging along with a pair of my plastic pants. I just pretended that they weren't there and hoped that he didn't see them. What else can you do?

Indeed, I have experienced this.

I suspect that most who've lived in a college dorm with a roommate have been surprised by that roommate's sudden appearance at least once or twice. Though I did have diapers in my dorm room, I was careful to wear only when I was certain my roommate was nowhere around. I was, however, a complete novice when it came to girls and sexual relationships, having never previously gone further than kissing and hand-holding. So, when that first opportunity to go a little further presented itself, my judgement failed me utterly.

My girlfriend and I were lying on my bed under a blanket, watching late-night TV as we often did. It would have been a completely normal thing for my roommate to enter the room and see. However, on that particular night, our hands had gone "exploring" a bit. And, of course, in the midst of this, my roommate comes barreling in. Had we simply stopped what we were doing--even if we'd continued!--he would have known nothing and would have simply laid down on his own bed and watched TV with us. However, we both hurriedly rearranged ourselves (under the blanket) such that we startled him, then while my girlfriend did her best to concentrate on the TV program, I turned to my roommate and greeted him in some totally stupid and unfamiliar way (ordinarily I'd have said nothing at all).

Later, after my girlfriend headed back to her own room, he came right out with, "I know what *you two* were doing! Heh heh..." There was no real use denying anything, so I just laughed it off. Several days later, he awkwardly brought up the subject of sex and mentioned that he didn't believe premarital sex was ok, which led me to believe he'd thought we were actually having sex. I don't really remember how I responded to this, except that I'm sure I *didn't* correct his misunderstanding.