Thread: Is laughing at awkward situations normal?

Default Is laughing at awkward situations normal?

So every week, I go to an English class. At this class, is this lady who has this breathing problem.

Don’t understand what it is, but I over heard her talking about it to the tutor about a week ago.

Today she had an attack of this breathing problem she has and was struggling to breathe. She was like ‘huuurrrrrr…….. huuuurrrrrrrr’, in the class. I didn’t act like the twit next to me who had a good old gaze, she had a person who knows about medical stuff etc (don’t know what the excat profession of this medial person, she just kinda came in and handled it) so she got help etc. And I didn’t act like the person next to me who had a good old gaze, my dad taught me staring at people in situations like that isn’t a nice thing to do so I didn’t.

I nearly did worse though, I didn’t think it was at all funny. It was horrible, but I felt slightly embarrassed and awkward sort of. And I nearly burst out laughing, not that it’s funny. But in moments like that, on tv and films as well those moments make me just want to laugh sometimes.

Luckly I just made a quick snuffle like noise which could have been anything and I didn’t laugh which is a first for me.

Why did I want to laugh? Is this totally abnormal?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvinsforbiddenlover View Post
    Not at all, it's a very normal human reaction to laugh or simile when you're in a tense social situation. If things are awkward, you laugh or crack a joke: it's a kind of automatic "lighten the mood" reflex, but obviously very often it makes things worse because laughing is considered "inappropriate".
    It doesn't make you weird or cruel because you laughed in that situation.

Oh, I think it all depends on how people interpreted your laughter. Just laughing, or chuckling, and walking away might make it seem like you really found the situation funny. I get in trouble with my wife a lot for smiling or laughing while we fight about things that aren't funny to either of us. The laugh is a nervous habit; the smile is not really because I find it funny but just because I'm letting my face get all tense and I start smirking. I'm not trying to, but it's easy to interpret it that way.

You said that someone came in and helped her with her breathing situation. If that hadn't happened, I would have figured you might talk to her and offer her something, or at least see if she is doing okay. That might cut down on the awkwardness of just watching and put you into a concerned and helpful mood. It doesn't mean you'd have to get all parental. She already knew she was attracting attention, so you could even say "Wow! That breathing problem sounds like a big pain. Will you be all right? Can I get you anything?" It's still an uncomfortable situation, but she's certainly less comfortable than you - even if she can't use your help, she might really appreciate the positive attention.

I find it really annoying if teachers give you detentions for laughing it's a natural and involuntary process. I usually laugh when I'm on this site cause I get nervous or stressed and it helps relieve that.

Laughing in inappropriate situations is bad but I think it's normal to have the urge to. It's like it's "absurdly" funny or something. And I think that laughing is in such cases a reaction of shock or insecurity, too.

I used to laugh at my husband being in pain with his feet. Same as when he go "ow ow ow" and I couldn't help it. I would try and hide it and he knew I was laughing. The way he walk make me laugh. I knew he was in pain but it was very difficult for me to feel it. It was the looks and the reactions I found funny. Not the pain itself. I also felt like a sociopath for it because I couldn't feel anything and I feel that way all the time about people.

I also remember being in 5th grade, we had this boy in our class with a disability. He couldn't talk and he had something because he looked different. He also couldn't write so he had to use the laptop to do his school work. He had normal intelligence but he just looked different so I thought he had a below normal IQ. One day, our teacher had use read some Dr. Suess story and we were all handed a page to read, when the boy's turn was up to read, I couldn't stop laughing because when he read it, it all sounded funny because you couldn't understand a word he was saying. No one else giggled or laughed except me and everyone acted like I was doing it intentionally because of their comments.

I mean seesh, do people really think you can help laughing? Haven't they ever stopped to think of the times when they laughed and couldn't help it? Don't do they ever think how hard it is to help it when they hold in their laughter and people still know they are laughing no matter how hard they hold it in?

I have offended people with my laughter because of what they say to me. I guess everyone does inappropriate laughing and everyone misreads it. I have even laughed at myself and people would think I was laughing at them but they were just misreading me.

the situation was funny (i suppose - i wasn't there), even if the condition of the woman wasn't. it's totally normal, but awkward because others may be too full of themselves to see the comical aspect.

after my dad died, i went through a phase where, when meeting people to whom i had to break the news, i found their reaction (shock) hilarious. of course, their reaction to my reaction to them, made it all the more funnier.

Is this totally abnormal?
    Should I make a mistake like grabbing the wrong drill at work and finding that it will not torque the bolt I'm looking at I will often laugh and turn the drill sideways and laugh as I mutter that I have now become slightly behind on my process and must now fight to catch back up on the line.

It seems better to laugh that use profanity or become angry at a situation like that and nervous laughter in an uncomfortable situation can ease the mental and physical stress, so I would say that it is not only normal but healthy. The problem is when you laugh and others think you are being sadistic and laughing at their pain. I would try to stifle it or at least train your self to say something to quantify your discomfort at the situation to keep from sending the wrong message.