Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

Default Rugby World Cup

Is anyone watching the Rugby World Cup in NZ ?

Who are you supporting and what are your predictions ?

Not watching it, but following it.

Enjoying a little bit of schadenfreude - Irish whupped the Aussies, Scotland going home with the little boys

Nasty, me?

Artie

I have to support the U.S., although that's hard to watch in rugby.

I'd like to support the All Blacks, but that seems like bandwagon jumping, like rooting for the Yankees in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Coodie View Post
    Is anyone watching the Rugby World Cup in NZ ?

Who are you supporting and what are your predictions ?
    Well, almost a no-brainer for me...

As a proud South African and as the current world cup holders,im going to support my team and go out on a limb by saying that we will successfully defend our title.

I do fear the All blacks though,as they are looking very strong and they have whooped us a few times in succession....

This was a bit of a depressing one for Canada as we had a real shot at finishing top 3 in our group to avoid qualifying for the next world cup. It was looking good after we beat Tonga, but a draw with Japan combined with France losing to Tonga left us on the outside looking in. Oh well, finishing 1-1-2 wasn't too bad. Shame the games where all in the midle of the night for me, though.

Going forwoard I'll be rooting for the upsets (except France - I want them crushed). So go Argentina or Ireland!

Sent from my iPhone

I guess it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that I'm following Ireland. A lot of people are saying they are set for the final but I feel they're being a little presumptuous. We are definitely contenders but I don't think they'll go the whole way. If they do I'll be partying like it's 1999, that's for sure lol.
    We've got Wales this Saturday which will be a very tough game. We have beaten them before but never easily. There will be some serious games played this weekend can't wait, even if they are at 'stupid o'clock'

I've been watching all the Argentina matches, I really liked the Argentina - Scotland game, it was a tough match!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irisheyes View Post
    There will be some serious games played this weekend can't wait, even if they are at 'stupid o'clock'
    There's my answer, being of partial Irish heritage, I can go green!

Amazing as it may seem, I can see many of the games on free over-the-air TV here in the Chicago area. NBC Chicago broadcasts Universal Sports as one of its side channels. Even though the games are live at "O dark 30", they do a lot of rebroadcasts of games they deem important. With the U.S. and Canada out of it, maybe some of those will include Ireland.

only a passing interest, for me, at the moment (got bigger fish to fry), though i usually hope for the underdogs. often, that's the Pacific island nations (excluding NZ, of course).
    i think i'll be cheering on France, if i can be bothered. the english are too immature and not minded to work for their supper.

Yeah Springboks are looking strong, although I worry about the loss of Steyn at centre ! Although Kiwis will definitly be worse off without Carter so hopefully it'll balance out. Next big hurdle for the boys in Green and Gold is Oz, but remember they lost to Ireland AND Samoa so I'm confident they can be beaten...

I'm also looking forward to watching the Welsh and Irish game...it looks like its going to be a cracking game ! I'm not sure who to support, but I'm leaning towards the dragons for that one...

Otherwise I'd like to see Argentina do well, but at the end of the day I want the Boks to win !

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyfish View Post
    Well, almost a no-brainer for me...

As a proud South African and as the current world cup holders,im going to support my team and go out on a limb by saying that we will successfully defend our title.

I do fear the All blacks though,as they are looking very strong and they have whooped us a few times in succession....