Thread: How can i make this possible?

Default How can i make this possible?

Hey guys, basically i have an idea. I need to invent something that can suck air, with a vaccum and somehow stop when water appears, something automatic.

Any ideas if this is possible? Just a idea I've had, would be really handy...

Thanks

Cherub

If we had an idea as to what you are doing, then it might helping thinking up the right equipment. Not knowing what you're needing it for the first thing that comes to mind would be a clear plastic cylinder and an air pump for an air mattress. Most airbed pumps come with a reverse function for sucking air out of an airbed. Somehow attach the hose to the clear plastic cylinder and vacuum out the air.

I have 2 airbeds and the air pump (when on reverse) is powerful enough to suck all the air out of the bed until it looks like a giant vacuum sealed space saver bag, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hey guys, basically i have an idea. I need to invent something that can suck air, with a vaccum and somehow stop when water appears, something automatic.

Any ideas if this is possible? Just a idea I've had, would be really handy...

Thanks
    Well, I am not very good at building electronics from scratch, but it seems to me that you need a vacuum with water sensors on the hose. If could could find a sensor, you could eventually figure out how to attach a beeping device whenever the sensor reacts. Then you can just turn off the vacuum.

Short Version: Float Valve
    Expanded, Non-Engineerish Version: Insert a column-type valve the low end is a supporting screen and the top is narrower than a ball trapped inside the column. The ball will need to be lighter than water, but heavier than air. When properly aligned, anything narrower than the supporting mesh/screen will be sucked into the column. Air, being lighter than the ball, will pass through; water, being heavier, will cause the ball to rise and block the opening. Add a sensor/switch to cut power to the pump when the ball rises and viola!

Supersam1223

That would be pretty easy actually, all you need to do is have 2 contacts and when the water touches both the contacts it shorts the circuit. You'd still need to turn the power off after it stops, but that's the most simple and easy way to do it.

My post doesn't go into much detail, and the concept can be built upon so that the power is turned off when the water shorts the circuit.