Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saved a man's life today!

Default I saved a man's life today!

I saved a man's life today!

I was walking by the toolroom door, looked in the window and saw the toolmaker hunched over the lathe struggling wildly. I rushed in, the lathe is ten feet from the door, and by the time I got there his head was down on the ways and I could see his shirt was winding up in the feed rod. I stomped on the stop treadle as I got there. I asked him if he was OK and he said, "I'm not sure." I told him not to move and catch his breath for a minute. After a minute he thought he was all right and squirmed out of his entangled shirt. He was bleeding from a cut over his eye and bruised on his arm & ribs but otherwise OK. Another second and his arm and ribs would have been broken, a few more an his back and neck would have been as well. He is lucky I was walking by and happened to look in and I'm one of few others in the shop who know how to stop that lathe as it has no obvious stop button, just a red foot treadle gone black with age. He was unable to step on the treadle as the lathe was pulling him down so fast.

I didn't think too much of it at first, I just did what the situation called for but when my boss came to me later and thanked me for "saving the toolmaker's life" it kinda sank in. Recently near by at Yale a young girl was killed in a similar accident when her hair got caught in a lathe feed screw.

I too am one who often works with shirt unbuttoned and untucked, not a good idea around machines .

Good job, thank god you were there!

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

shirts caught in lathes ive done that i had an apron on running the pacemaker at least it had enough HP to rip the apron off vs drag me in really far theres no E-stop on those monster machines

DLteen96

u are a true hero way to go dude

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I saved a man's life today!

I was walking by the toolroom door, looked in the window and saw the toolmaker hunched over the lathe struggling wildly. I rushed in, the lathe is ten feet from the door, and by the time I got there his head was down on the ways and I could see his shirt was winding up in the feed rod. I stomped on the stop treadle as I got there. I asked him if he was OK and he said, "I'm not sure." I told him not to move and catch his breath for a minute. After a minute he thought he was all right and squirmed out of his entangled shirt. He was bleeding from a cut over his eye and bruised on his arm & ribs but otherwise OK. Another second and his arm and ribs would have been broken, a few more an his back and neck would have been as well. He is lucky I was walking by and happened to look in and I'm one of few others in the shop who know how to stop that lathe as it has no obvious stop button, just a red foot treadle gone black with age. He was unable to step on the treadle as the lathe was pulling him down so fast.

I didn't think too much of it at first, I just did what the situation called for but when my boss came to me later and thanked me for "saving the toolmaker's life" it kinda sank in. Recently near by at Yale a young girl was killed in a similar accident when her hair got caught in a lathe feed screw.

I too am one who often works with shirt unbuttoned and untucked, not a good idea around machines .
    How did I miss this two weeks ago. You really are a hero. Way to go!!! Thank God you were there. It makes you wonder.

you truly are a hero! thanks for being in this world, for you kindness and for acts of good. Good for you bud!

Way to go - saving a life is something amazing that so few people can claim to have done

Wow, that's really neat. Great that you were there and acted quickly

*Starts to sing "I need a hero"*

Congratulations and good job buddy. ^_^ That man's familly would've been very sad. Think about that.

Yikes, the toolmaker is lucky you were so level-headed and knew what to do.