Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok I got my cloth Diaper...

Default Ok I got my cloth Diaper...

I just received my first cloth diaper from Adultclothdiaper.com. Along with a blue onsie and leak master plastic pants.

So far the onsie doesn't really fit right. The diaper is visible and the crotch is way to big. I wanted the onsie to pull against the diaper and tighten the whole thing up. It just sort of hangs down . The plastic pants are much quieter than I anticipated as well. And it looks more like I'm wearing a trachbag than a diaper. The plastic pants are so ill formed I'm just not getting that babyish look that I'm after.

Also, if you've never used a cloth diaper before I will tell you that learning to put one on is wary different from putting on a disposal. I do like the bulkiness of the plastic pants, but it doesn't give that crinkle sound that I just love about disposables.

Can someone point me in a better direction? I had been so excited waiting for my products and now I'm slightly disappointed. It seems like cloth has a potential to be great, but maybe I bought the wrong products.

Quote Originally Posted by bbabysitter26 View Post
    I had been so excited waiting for my products and now I'm slightly disappointed. It seems like cloth has a potential to be great, but maybe I bought the wrong products.
    i sympathize and empathize with your situation......and you can tell, by that, that i've been there myself. unfortunately, buying any inco/ab/dl gear is a matter of trial and error.

with onesies (and any supportive wear) you don't really want them tight fitting, or snug. such fitting will compress the diaper at it's narrowest point and result in leaks.
    there is a matter of materials, though, as to a good fitting, and this also varies upon the type of diaper you're wearing. a stretch-cotton or lycra enhanced material (much like a leotard) work brilliantly with a disposable but less so with a cloth diaper (bulk issues).

plastic-pants are a pain-in-the-arse, mostly, and only due to their poor design. you need only compare a pair of baby's pants with those on offer by 'our' suppliers to see the difference.
    for a crinklingly good time, you may have to shop around a bit (a general rule is that the cheaper they are, the noisier they are), but you can also 'age' your pants with creams and ointments to make them noisier (this normally happens in the course of normal use, but over a longer period if not done purposely); bear in mind that you will shorten the life of the pants by doing so.
    a more billowy pant will also produce more noise.

influencing everything, of course, is the diaper itself. at the moment, mine is sagging closer to my knees than anywhere else (slightly damp ). the bulk of your diaper will naturally determine how everything else fits and you should size your buys accordingly.

as a matter of perspective, i normally wear children's sizes in onesies, but with the diaper i've got on at the moment, a small adult size would be more appropriate (i'd show you some pics, but i've just formatted my hdd).
    but, like i said, it's a matter of trial and error. having said that, and even with my pursuit of the ideal, i've found that lessening my standards and just accepting how things are, and adapting accordingly, saves money, time and disappointment.

and then, there's also the option of home-making your clothing or just adapting what you've got.

perhaps a 'hand-me-down' facility/group on the site would help people in assessing what to buy?

Yeah, sadly the ACD onesies aren't really shaped right. Like you say, they're cut way too high on the sides. That said, they will in fact hold up a diaper if you've sized it properly.

Several questions:

Did you take some time and measure your chest size, your neck to bottom-of-crotch, and your shoulder to bottom-of-crotch measurement, as well as your hips and waist, oh, and leg diameter? If not, go to the crafts section of your favorite big-box store and buy a flexible/fabric tape measure (they're like $4) and use it to make those measurements. That will help you size ABDL garments in the future. Sadly, there's no consistency at all in what the size labels on ABDL garments mean, so you have to rely on each company's size chart with the actual measurements a particular size will fit. If you wear XL t-shirts normally, and then you bought an XL onesie, you've probably committed a sizing error. With plastic pants, the *leg* measurement is actually considerably more important than the waist measurement, and with onesies, the *neck or shoulder to bottom-of-crotch measurement* is the one you want (different companies use one or the other, so just measure both).

As for crinkly plastic pants, they'll run you a bit of cash, but go to fetware.com and buy Euroflex pants. They crackle like mad, so you'll love 'em. With plastic pants, there are usually a couple of sizes that will work, and it's a question of how much additional room you want in the pants over your diaper. The bigger end of what will fit you will get you more billowly and crackly pants.

Sorry to hear your first purchases weren't what you hoped for, and hopefully you can get your sizing and measurements sorted for next time!

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Yeah, sadly the ACD onesies aren't really shaped right. Like you say, they're cut way too high on the sides. That said, they will in fact hold up a diaper if you've sized it properly.

Several questions:

Did you take some time and measure your chest size, your neck to bottom-of-crotch, and your shoulder to bottom-of-crotch measurement, as well as your hips and waist, oh, and leg diameter? If not, go to the crafts section of your favorite big-box store and buy a flexible/fabric tape measure (they're like $4) and use it to make those measurements. That will help you size ABDL garments in the future. Sadly, there's no consistency at all in what the size labels on ABDL garments mean, so you have to rely on each company's size chart with the actual measurements a particular size will fit. If you wear XL t-shirts normally, and then you bought an XL onesie, you've probably committed a sizing error. With plastic pants, the *leg* measurement is actually considerably more important than the waist measurement, and with onesies, the *neck or shoulder to bottom-of-crotch measurement* is the one you want (different companies use one or the other, so just measure both).

As for crinkly plastic pants, they'll run you a bit of cash, but go to fetware.com and buy Euroflex pants. They crackle like mad, so you'll love 'em. With plastic pants, there are usually a couple of sizes that will work, and it's a question of how much additional room you want in the pants over your diaper. The bigger end of what will fit you will get you more billowly and crackly pants.

Sorry to hear your first purchases weren't what you hoped for, and hopefully you can get your sizing and measurements sorted for next time!
    The onsie top half fits perfectly, but it just isn't snug at the bottom and the side don't come down enough and they sort of just hang by my legs.

When I'm wearing the plastic pants I just feel like I'm wearing a trash bag.

They are so big that it no longer feels like a diaper. I think the pants are too billowy and I need something a bit different. I wish there was a store I could walk into and try things on.

I doubt I'm ever going to try cloth diapers again as this will be my last and only pair I quite enjoy the way disposables swell up after I wet them as opposed to the sagging of cloth.

The onesie is a concern...I think I may get some elastic and sew it into the legs as this may help my problem...or I'll take it to a taylor...tell him it's for Halloween :p

Having been in cloth diapers for a very long time, I agree, unfortunately there is a good bit of trial and error in discovering what works best and is the most comfy. Most of the diapers and cloth diaper pants that I like best are from Babykins. Check out their site and if you have questions just e-mail or call. They are super friendly and don't seem to mind why one wants or needs diapers. Well made cloth products including good fitting onesies come quickly in discrete mailers.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the cloth diapers and onesies, bbabysitter. I too have had problems with various onesies I've bought, and have found that washing sometimes shrinks them enough to make them "hug" the diaper a bit better. It's worse however, to have one that's too short, as it keeps pulling on your shoulders and neck.
    I'm a big fan of cloth diapers, and for around the home, much prefer them. Again, it's a matter of both experimentation with suppliers, and your own preference. I bought some Comco plastic pants and love them for their puffiness, ans while they're not the noisiest ones on the market, they are noticeable. The nicest thing about them is that they're almost the same as the ones that I remember my mother using on my brother.
    I hope you don't give up on cloth, give them another try from a different supplier!

Quote Originally Posted by bbabysitter26 View Post
    Can someone point me in a better direction? I had been so excited waiting for my products and now I'm slightly disappointed. It seems like cloth has a potential to be great, but maybe I bought the wrong products.
    Hi, bbabysitter26: Can you tell us exactly what you bought for diapers/pants?

I liked the bikini-fit pants from AdultClothDiaper.com. The "normal" pants were too roomy, and yet the leg holes were too tight (really odd cut!).

I will also second what Gondola said, being that some amount of trial-and-error is inevitable. When I ordered prefolds, I ordered both a medium and a large from two different places, and I was glad that I did, because the fit varied enormously! Also, unless you got all-in-ones or snap/velcro diapers, it will definitely take some practice to get a nice, snug fit with pins. My observation with prefolds is that both AdultClothDiaper.com and ChangingTimesDiaperCo.com size their diapers for a fit (according to waist size) where the pins land more on your hips than under your belly. Going a size larger means that you can pin more under your belly, which makes for a more... "supportive"... fit for guys. In other words, perhaps counterintuitively, a larger diaper, when folded well, can provide a more snug fit than a smaller diaper.

LL

I sympathize with you, bbabysitter. I bought cloth once, and tried them and was not that impressed. Im sure they are great for absorbency, but there is something about the disposable crinkle and the plastic that is just what Ive grown up with. I think i wore cloth when i was really little, but dont remember it. Needless to say I went back to disposables.

I wear size small plastic pants and that diminishes some of the bulkiness. I have thinner legs and a 32" waist, so it works. You can get crinkly plastic pants from Fetware, and you can get them in more cut down sizes. I have several. I like the high waste Leakmaster for when I'm sleeping so that the plastic pant covers the entire diaper. I don't want to leak into the bed.

Ok So I have some good news. The onsie shrunk a bit in the washer and is now a bit more snug, while still fitting me perfectly up top. It still shows the diaper a bit, but at least I know my diaper is secure ; )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 9-30-11 at 12.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	4571 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	6119