Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I need help coping.

Default So I need help coping.

So, I'm going to turn eightteen this upcoming November and to be perfectly honest, I'm scared out of my mind. I just don't think I'm ready for all of this. I still need to take the SAT and learn to drive. I have to apply to these colleges and pray that I get in. I'm just so worried that I'm not going to get accepted anywhere, and that I'm going to let my dad down. I just wish I could turn back time. Has anyone else gone through this? Some adivce be nice.

Welcome to growing up. What you're feeling is the sort of thing you'll run up against the rest of your adult life. Exams, job interviews, job reviews, courting, your kids effing up, kids asking for advice, etc. etc.

Nobody gets it right all the time. All you can do is your best, and when you eff up, review the eff up and try to learn from it. Doesn't hurt to review the successes either and figure out why it went right so you can do it again.

this might seem really simple but you should consider talking to your dad and mom about your anxieties. all parents want their kids to succeed but they also realize that with success comes some failure. Your parents can talk with you and help relieve some of your anxieties.

something else to consider to is that its perfectly normal for teens entering adult hood to have end of childhood crises. this is why college students and teens make up a huge portion of the community demographic...we are who we are because we refuse to let go of simpler things and simpler times...

You're going to be fine. As you go through life and face new hurdles, the old hurdles seem smaller...making the new hurdles less scary. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. As George Clooney said in Three Kings, "The way it works is, you do the thing that you're scared sh%tless of...and you get the courage afterwards" Hang in there, as long as you always try your hardest you'll be just fine. Also, as other's have said, don't be afraid to talk to your parents about your anxieties, they are the people who love and support you most.

Good luck.

-Gus

I got accepted into universities and state colleges when I was in High School, and I decided to go to a community college instead. Best decision I could have made. I, like yourself was completely unsure of my self, what I wanted, and how to get what I wanted. The teachers I had at the community college were much better, in my opinion, than the ones I had at the state college. They cared about my learning.

Divide up all the different tasks and demands and take them one at a time. Almost everyone gets accepted into college, and you will too. I went to a music conservatory, so I had to play three big pieces all from memory, as well as meet the academic criteria. I simply had to take care of business, finding time for academics, practicing a couple hours a day, and still find some time for my friends. Not only can it be done, but you will be doing it all the time once you are a college/university student. It's all part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So, I'm going to turn eightteen this upcoming November and to be perfectly honest, I'm scared out of my mind. I just don't think I'm ready for all of this. I still need to take the SAT and learn to drive. I have to apply to these colleges and pray that I get in. I'm just so worried that I'm not going to get accepted anywhere, and that I'm going to let my dad down. I just wish I could turn back time. Has anyone else gone through this? Some adivce be nice.
    I know exactly how you are feeling. It's actually not unusual. It's all about uncertainty. Up until now, you have always known what was going to happen in the next year (i.e. another year of school) but now you are faced with so many opprotunities that it's overwellming, right? Just remember that you can only deal with the situation facing you in the present. It's good to plan for the future, but you should direct your energies to things that you can work on in the present. If there is something that you can't affect in the future, then don't waste time worrying. Just worry about that bridge when you cross it.

As old Tallahassee its nut up or shut up time. Face your problems head on and you'll do fine. And yes we have all wished we had the ability to turn back time at some point but that line of thinking is just counterproductive. Ultimately you are the one that is going to have to make whatever decisions decide this...that or the other part of your life. Other people can open doors for you but ultimately you have to step through them.

If there is one thing I could recommend is get the driving thing taken care of now. Taking responsibility for your own transportation if there is a way is the most important step towards independence.

[Removed]
    Last edited by Near; 29-Sep-2011 at 14:06.

Have you thought about whether you really need to do all those things?

E.g. If you go to a campus university/college and stay in dorms then you won't need a car or to learn to drive because everything will be right there next to you.

If you're not sure about college or university then it might be worth your while to take a gap year. I know a lot of people assume gap years are those years where rich kids go gallivanting off around the world on their parents money, but I took a gap year where all I did was live on my own and support myself, and I had the time of my life. It also taught me money management skills (believe me - you can know as much as you like but as soon as you move out from your parents it'll all go down the drain!), social skills, how to live on my own, what do do if you have appendicitis and you miss your mummy... It also gave me more time to think about what I wanted to do with my life. I was able to try new hobbies, and do work experience, and work shadow people and it really helped.

And last, but not least, as someone has already mentioned, your dad probably just wants what's best for you. It's really important to remember that. Sit down and have a chat about it. Explain you're worried and not sure how you're going to cope/have time for everything, and see if he's got any ideas. He is, afterall, your dad so probably knows you much better than anyone else!

Good luck with it all!

I'm in my senior year of college with a rather nice gpa and I still don't have a clue how to drive. Any time I needed to get somewhere I've walked, taken a taxi, or had a friend take me. It's inconvenient and cabbies here in the middle of nowhere are far more creepy than the ones up in New York, but I get by. However, I'm totally considering all the same things you're currently freaked out about. ("Will I get into a decent grad school? Can I even pay for grad school? I can't drive! Omg!" etc). Don't panic. If you're doing the SAT over the ACT and currently panicked, you're probably fine as far as being admitted- and will be fine even if you can't drive. If your parents can drop you off at college, you can survive without a car.