Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Your Help

Default I Need Your Help

To help me. See, because of my multiple mental disorders (ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and nonverbal learning disorder) I don't have any idea if what I have posted is inappropriate, rude, or hurtful. I honestly have no idea.

So, I was hoping that you (the rest of ADISC) could help me when what I post in not acceptable. Do you think you can do that?

If you are asking for people to tell you when you say or do something wrong, you don't even have to ask. Most members here will do that anyway in a respectful manner. The key is to accept their advice, learn from it, and move on. Don't dwell on your mistakes.

If what you are really asking for is a free pass because of your disorders, that is not likely to happen. There are many on these forums that suffer from the same disorders and more and do not expect special treatment because of it. This is a community and to biasedly apply the rules would lead to the destruction of said community.

Well spoken, CharliePup. Rlew, I notice you *just* joined, and your Reputation is already 1. That's a great indication that you're doing fine so far.

Since you're worried about the tone of your message, before posting take a small (2-3 minute) break and then read through what you're about to post to see if you consider it "inappropriate, rude, or hurtful". If so, don't post it. Dozens of times I have almost posted a comment but then I read it from scratch and decided it didn't really say what I wanted and so I edited it, or maybe even decided that what I said didn't add to the conversation and so I abandoned it completely. In general, anywhere, it's always good to re-read your work before you publish it. (I even did it to this post!)

Quote Originally Posted by whisko View Post
    Well spoken, CharliePup.
    Hmmm, only Rlew and I have posted here. Perhaps you got confused there.

There is no way I'd ask for a free pass. Just pointing out that I will need help. I usually do ok but I just like to put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlew View Post
    To help me. See, because of my multiple mental disorders (ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and nonverbal learning disorder) I don't have any idea if what I have posted is inappropriate, rude, or hurtful. I honestly have no idea.

So, I was hoping that you (the rest of ADISC) could help me when what I post in not acceptable. Do you think you can do that?
    If you want to know whether a post is apropriate, just try to imagine yourself in the readers position prior to posting to see whether or not they would be offended. In general, just try to be nice and make sure that when you make a joke that you say so because it can be hard to tell in writing.

I understand your worries I got into lot of trouble on an autism forum ironically for my behavior. But that may be because I was just a perfect target like other members were to the mod abuse and I didn't do anything wrong but that's a long story. But I post less on forums because I used to piss people off all the time and was targeted for bullying but now I don't get bullied much anymore. Occasionally someone will flame me, even from other autistic people. I try and not let it bother me and I also consider it could be them with the problem, not me. But lot of aspies seem to do fine here because they post and their rep is good. Even one of them is a mod here.

A tip: If you post something you sense is inappropriate or wrong, don't blame it on your AS. It just makes it look like you are using it to say whatever you want and get away with it. We have enough of that already online because too many people think people use Asperger's to say whatever they want and to be a jerk. I think that is just a misconception there they have on aspies and they assume they are using their AS to be a jerk. If someone gets offended with what you say or didn't like what you said, don't blame it on your AS. What it will look like to the others here is you are trying to use it as a pass to say whatever you want. It's best to not mention AS at all in that situation.

I have no problem correcting you if I feel you've over stepped some kind of social boundary, but that would require that you remain open minded about the critique and take to heart the advice given.

Ghjkl

I have the same problem. [removed]
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-Oct-2011 at 00:22. Reason: First rule of rep club...