Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canker Sores

Default Canker Sores

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone else suffers or is even bothered by canker sores. I have them all the time and always at least 2 at a time. Right now I have 3, 2 of them are pretty mature, but there's a baby one just beginning to show signs of pain.

If anyone has experience with these, could you give your advice on how to get rid of them whether or not it be painless. I've had canker sores all my life and they can last any where from around 5 to 20 days. If I treat them with specially medicated mouth rinse, they're life span goes down to 3 to 7 days.

These little monsters have been terrorizing my mouth all my life and I still haven't found a way to just get rid of them in a seemingly instant fashion. I've tried medicated mouth rinse, rinsing with salt water, applying salt directly on the sore, applying a q-tip of apple cider vinegar to the sore, applying a q-tip of Ambesol (an over-the-counter applicant that will numb mouth pain) to the sore, and softly brushing the sore with my toothbrush while brushing my teeth. Most of these suggestions are suggested by several of my dentists, but none have seemed to had a permanent solution.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi abdljosh,
    I have heard tea tree oil can work; a few drops put into a cup of water (similar to the salt water you tried). Placing tea bags over the sores, placing them 15 minutes on the sores. Black tea bags are best for they have tannic acid (found in some medications; leading cause for why they can cure symptoms).
    Also, lack of vitamin b 12 can cause this; so, eat more eggs, salmon( any fish other than tuna, really), and swiss or mozzarella cheeses.
    And, emotional stress can be big factor. Any stress really, very bad for your health Dunno if you workout, but, go running around the neighborhood for 20 minutes each morning, or pactice meditation for 15 minutes each day.
    We all get them and they are fricking annoying! Sounds like you've tried a lot. Since you have been dealing with this for a long time, I would guess stress would be key factor here? Like most of us
    Good luck!

I haven't found a good way to get rid of them, but I got them far less often once I stopped putting non-food stuff in my mouth. Do you have a thumb-sucking or nail-biting habit?

Quote Originally Posted by whisko View Post
    Do you have a thumb-sucking or nail-biting habit?
    No, but I think I might be biting my lip and tongue while I'm asleep, I just haven't proved it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedyn View Post
    Hi abdljosh,
    I have heard tea tree oil can work; a few drops put into a cup of water (similar to the salt water you tried). Placing tea bags over the sores, placing them 15 minutes on the sores. Black tea bags are best for they have tannic acid (found in some medications; leading cause for why they can cure symptoms).
    Also, lack of vitamin b 12 can cause this; so, eat more eggs, salmon( any fish other than tuna, really), and swiss or mozzarella cheeses.
    And, emotional stress can be big factor. Any stress really, very bad for your health Dunno if you workout, but, go running around the neighborhood for 20 minutes each morning, or pactice meditation for 15 minutes each day.
    We all get them and they are fricking annoying! Sounds like you've tried a lot. Since you have been dealing with this for a long time, I would guess stress would be key factor here? Like most of us
    Good luck!
    Hi Jaedyn, I have never heard of the tee tree oil or black tea bag method, I will definitely give it a shot. I don't know how deficient I am on vitamin B12, but I eat 2 eggs every morning and salmon whenever I get the opportunity. I used to work out, but stopped due to the overly hot weather (now that I think about it, I should be going back). I can see where stress fits in, but I didn't know it was a leading cause of canker sores. Maybe I can't help all the stress I get everyday, but the canker sores sure don't help relieve stress . I still need to find a good time to fit in a good workout, since I actually have a gym membership, but in any case I'll go ahead and try the tea tree oil and black tea methods and tell you how it goes.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedyn View Post
    Hi abdljosh, And, emotional stress can be big factor. Any stress really, very bad for your health Dunno if you workout, but, go running around the neighborhood for 20 minutes each morning, or pactice meditation for 15 minutes each day.
    Good luck!
    Canker sores are ulcer's. Ulcer's are thought to be caused by stress which is a myth.

Aphthous ulcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways to have it heal fast. Put salt on the sore and try and keep it dry as possible no tonguing it. Plus sometimes it pays off to enjoy/live with the pain. Just don't try and increase it.

SurfinSeaLion

Oh god. Afraid I can't help. But I do get them. Last year I had a massive one that made me reposition my whole lip. It lasted for 3 weeks. I had it on picture day :[

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Canker sores are ulcer's. Ulcer's are thought to be caused by stress which is a myth.
    Cause? No. Worsen? Yes. Upset your physiology enough that the infection picks up and becomes noticably symptomatic? Absolutely.

Cherub

I get them from time to time too. For me, I've noticed a correlation between eating foods high in acid or spicy foods. During the summer I like sweet corn (on the cob) and I like to eat sliced tomatoes with salt. Well,, all that acid causes me to develop a canker sore. I use Listerine mouth wash to help get rid of them. But as you already stated, you already use mouthwash to shorten the time frame of the sores.

well, i am currently going against one that is seasonal. My tactic against them for treatment is something called Orastat, it is a topical Novocaine type ointment that works internally and numbs the area, making the canker sore much less painful.

So basically from the cause aspect, stress (physical or emotional) can definitely be a predisposing factor, as well as hormonal factors, infections, food hypersensitivity, immune irregularities, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and familial tendency. That said its not always straight-forward and you can have them without any of those aspects playing a role. The ulcers that were mentioned in an earlier post are (I'm assuming) peptic ulcers, which are often caused by an infection with H. Pylori, however there are other causes, regardless the pathogenesis of those ulcers is unrelated to that of the oral ulcers. While there are those predisposing factors, and there appears to be a relation to cell mediated immunity, there is no evidence of a relationship between H. Pylori and the oral ulcers.

So that said they usually last 10-14 days, and if they are relatively uncommon you can just use pain-managing options such as the novocaine. As far as the vitamin B12, if you are generally healthy and eat a normal diet you shouldn't be B12 deficient, unless you have pernicious anemia or something but that probably isn't the case. As far as other treatment options besides that topical anesthetic agents, there is some evidence for triamcinolone cream, fluocinonide gel, and amlexanox, however I am not sure off the top of my head which are over the counter and which are prescription only, so you might want to bring some of those up. Another option I have read about is oral glucocorticoids for more severe problems, but that might be overkill for you.