Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming a Fursona - Necessary?

Default Naming a Fursona - Necessary?

I'm just wondering: is it standard practice to give one's fursona a name (a proper name, like naming a kid or a pet)?

I realized that the name I've been using for the last 12-ish years is seriously lacking in creativity: Tygon is basically my species (tigon), misspelled. It's fine for a handle, but I can't call my fursona that--can I? I've been trying to think of a name for the longest time but am finding it impossible to come up with something that I like.

The biggest problem is that I don't see my fursona as having his own name or even much of a made-up backstory. Having those features would make it seem too much like babyfur-me and real-life-me are two disparate entities, which isn't the case at all. My babyfur side is part of my personality, not an alter-ego.

Because of this, the only name that seems right is mine--but my actual name is not something that I share freely on the interwebs, so my fursona essentially remains nameless. Is it acceptable to be just a nameless fur, identified by species alone?

Mine is.... drumroll... Alex. Yeah... I'm that creative. I don't think it is necessary for your fursona to have a whole backstory and personality of their own. Although that can be an option. My fursona is just me, but in monkey form. Kinda like my 'little' is just me as a 6 year old. Neither are all that different than me. So they have the same back story and personalty as me. Even the same name.

alu

I gave my fursona the same name as me, i feel that the fursona is me, just he's also a little white polar bear cubby who's four as well. But i have seen quite a few that have given there fursona a name and background story. In the end its up to you what ya do with your fursona really.

Pshhhh I have the least creativity, Mine is WingDog, I am a Red Wings fan and I am a Dog, so simple yet I stole it from a old super bowl commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    The biggest problem is that I don't see my fursona as having his own name or even much of a made-up backstory. Having those features would make it seem too much like babyfur-me and real-life-me are two disparate entities, which isn't the case at all. My babyfur side is part of my personality, not an alter-ego.
    This is exactly how I feel; my fursona is called 'Charlie', because 'Charlie' is my name. Not a seperate entity, just me wearing a different skin. I 'am' my fursona, obviously not literally, but as in the only thing seperating me from my fursona is my physical form. My thoughts and personality are all the same as my fursonas, except perhaps I think sometimes that layer of 'difference' allows me to distance myself enough to be truly me, if that makes sense?

I have never actually given my fursona a name, not even my real life name. I don't know why this is, but it fits for me and I don't think naming is absolutely nessecary.

Catperson

My fursona is me, as a furry. So, I have my own name. I never get why people have to make their fursonas an "alternate personality". CharliePup pretty much said it perfectly.

Because I mostly grew up being known as(or at least a variaton of) "Smartie". I found it natural that I call myself by this name in the furry community as well.

My suggestions are simply, what do you like to be called? Do you want to create a new idenity, or do you want the character you represent to be a full reflection of yourself.

I will say that im a stickler when it comes to furry names. you have NO idea how many people call themselves "Shadow" or "Wolfie".

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Your fursona does not need a backstory, your fursona can just be you. My fursona is pretty much the real me but just in anthomouse form and his name is just my nickname. But having a name well not really needed, it helps give your fursona its own personality.

Plus it could you imagine trying to find you in a room of tigers if you don't have a name. :P

I have called myself SnowTiger for many years, I feel that this name says it all for me, I am a Snowtiger, I love the snow, my fur is nearly all white. I did used to be called "Snow-white-tiger, but everyone used to extract the urine so to speak and call me snow white and ask where the 7 dwarfs were. Most folk either call me Bob or Snowy, or Snow Tiger, how could anyone epect a Bob to be a big cat ?