Thread: Cleaning Plastic Pants

Question Cleaning Plastic Pants

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the best way to clean and dry plastic pants. I wrecked one pair after putting them in the machine (wash and dry), and want to avoid it happening again - they're not exactly cheap

According to the label they're 'PVC' and machine washable. However, I've tried using the machine to just cool wash (not dry) and it really seems to dull them down and make them more uncomfortable.

I've also tried hand washing them in the sink using bubble bath, which works fine except it doesn't seem to shift the poop smell that builds up after sleeping in them.

So, what approach does everyone here take to this?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, I've never worn/used plastic pants, though I will try to help anyway.

Have you tried using a powerful cleaner? - something with bleach in it perhaps. This would very likely get rid of the smells your describing. Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly with warm soapy water, otherwise two things could (potentially) occur; #1, it may stain it bright, #2 it may burn you when worn.

Another thing you could try is something like Vanish Oxy-Action (no idea if I spelt that right lol), it is a powerful stain remover that you can either use by hand or put in the machine. Again, just rinse with warm soapy water....

Does your machine have multiple settings? - Like, 'Soft/Slow Wash or something similar? - It seems to me that you may have put the washing machine on the wrong setting last time.

As for drying them, I'd recommend just air drying them (outside if possible). If you use a dryer machine, then you could run the risk of ruining them. Just some thoughts.

Good luck!

I always wash my plastic pants in the washer and put them in the dryer. I wash them with a load of towels. Pull them out of the dryer half way through the cycle. Never a problem doing it that way and yes there clear pvc style.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFox View Post
    Unfortunately, I've never worn/used plastic pants, though I will try to help anyway.

Have you tried using a powerful cleaner? - something with bleach in it perhaps. This would very likely get rid of the smells your describing. Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly with warm soapy water, otherwise two things could (potentially) occur; #1, it may stain it bright, #2 it may burn you when worn.

Another thing you could try is something like Vanish Oxy-Action (no idea if I spelt that right lol), it is a powerful stain remover that you can either use by hand or put in the machine. Again, just rinse with warm soapy water....

Does your machine have multiple settings? - Like, 'Soft/Slow Wash or something similar? - It seems to me that you may have put the washing machine on the wrong setting last time.

As for drying them, I'd recommend just air drying them (outside if possible). If you use a dryer machine, then you could run the risk of ruining them. Just some thoughts.

Good luck!
    Absolutely do not use bleach or similar on them. You'll destroy the plastic for sure that way. Also, don't dry them. It's just a really bad idea.

I generally wash them by hand in the shower. It's true that sometimes a poo smell will cling to them, but I find that if I give them a couple days between wearings, which is good to do anyway (have several pair on hand), the smell usually fades on its own. Washing them in the washer on cold also works pretty well, and if they feel different afterwards, I've found that usually once you wear them and they warm back up to body temperature, they'll start to feel normal again.

I wash mine in the washer with my diapers and let them air dry in my bathroom where I have a clothes line set up above my tub. Never ever put them in the dryer!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doubledbbw View Post
    I wash mine in the washer with my diapers and let them air dry in my bathroom where I have a clothes line set up above my tub. Never ever put them in the dryer!!!!!!!
    I use a coat-rack in what's presently our miscellaneous room (and will someday be my nursery), but yep, wash in the shower and hang dry seems to work really well for me too.

hand washing and air drying is the best way to go, also for the smell maybe if you use an antibacterial soap it might help with the smell and whatnot or even just letting them air out more

I wash mine in the shower. The worst thing for plastic pants is human body oil, so I use dish washing detergent. I rinse them very thoroughly, turning them in and out four times. I then put them on a plastic hanger and let them line dry. I think if you wash them in a washing machine, you're going to shorten their life, and putting them in a dryer will shorten that life significantly.

Thanks for all the responses guys (and gals?) - very helpful

The consensus seems to be to wash them by hand or in the shower and then just let them air dry then. My washer/dryer is rather limited, but I guess I could run them through it occasionally as long as the drying cycle is off. I always wash on 30 degrees, so that should be okay.

I think the question might be what detergent/soap to use. The machine only takes powder or those capsule things. Hand washing would probably need something different.

How often do you all wash your plastic pants? I've only got two pairs at the moment - they're okay for a while but if the diaper leaks I tend to want to wash them (rather than just wipe them down or anything)...

Once again thanks

I wear a clean pair every night. Wash them about once a week. Gentle setting in washer. Not too much soap. Then put them in dryer with several towels on low for 15 minutes. Works very well for me.