Thread: Tutorial - Mac Encrypted File Store (ideal for ABDL stuff)

Thumbs up Tutorial - Mac Encrypted File Store (ideal for ABDL stuff)

If you don't plan on being discovered any time soon then encrypting your ABDL files is probably a good move, especially when it's as easy as this. This is a quick tutorial on how to create an encrypted file store on Mac OS X.

This bit will sound a bit techy, but it's worth reading so you know exactly whats going on.

You're going to create something called a 'disk image'. The process works sort of like a virtual, encrypted USB stick. You have a 'container' (think of this as the USB stick) stored somewhere on your computer. Inside the 'container' is your 'file store' (the files on the USB stick).

When you open the 'container' the 'file store' will appear on your desktop as if you had plugged in a USB stick. You can use it exactly like a real USB stick - creating folders, saving files, renaming things etc. It really is that simple.

The important thing to note here is that the 'file store' can be encrypted, which effectively prevents anyone opening it without the password.

Creating The Encrypted File Store

Step 1 - Open "Disk Utility" by going to "Applications"->"Utilities" and clicking on "Disk Utility".

Step 2 - Click on the "New Image" button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newimage.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	6060

Step 3 - Enter the filename that you want the 'container' to have in the "Save As" box. This name might be visible to other users on your computer, so choose a name that doesn't give any hint of ABDLism and that wouldn't attract attention.

For example, 'Detailed Investigations Appraising Personal Email Responsiveness'. Except maybe without the subliminal message

Step 4 - Enter a display name for the 'container'. This won't be visible to anyone who doesn't have the password, so you can go for something ABDLish here if you want.

Step 5 - Choose a "Size" from the drop down box or enter a custom one. This is an upper limit to the 'container' file size. For example, if you choose 10GB then you can store up to 10GB of stuff. The 'container' file size won't immediately jump to 10GB, it will grow as more space is needed.

Step 6 - Leave "Format" as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Step 7 - Choose the 128-bit AES encryption option (this is more than enough - the 256 one is overkill for now).

Step 8 - Leave "Partitions" as it is.

Step 9 - Choose "sparse bundle disk image" as the "Image Format". This is what makes the 'container' grow rather than use all possible space immediately.

Step 10 - Check that your settings resemble the example shown below and then click on the "Create" button.

Name:	dmgsettings.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	6059

Step 11 - Choose a really strong password. If you can make the meter show "Excellent" then it becomes practically impossible for it to be broken algorithimcally or by brute force. Use letters, numbers and symbols if possible.

IMPORTANT - Don't let it save the password in your keychain!!! If you do then that means if anyone gets hold of your computer whilst you're logged in would be able to see the encrypted files.

Name:	setpassword.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	6062

Step 12 - After a couple of minutes it should have finished and you can close "Disk Utility". Your encrypted 'file store' will be mounted on the desktop and will work in exactly the same way as a USB stick.

Name:	plain.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	6061

You can even change the icon - it won't be visible without the password, so something ABDLish should be okay... how about the pattern off a footed sleeper

Name:	stylish.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	6063

Unmounting/Ejecting The Encrypted File Store

Once you've finished with your 'file store' you need to 'eject' the disk image. This will effectively block access to the files until you unlock it with your password again.

Ejecting is easy, just right click on the desktop icon and choose "Eject".

Name:	unmount.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	6065

Opening the Encrypted File Store

To re-mount the encrypted files simply find the container file (it will be in the "Documents" folder by default) and double click it. Enter your password and press Enter. Your encrypted file store will appear on the desktop.

IMPORTANT - Again, don't let it save the password in your keychain!!!

Name:	unlock.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	6064

I hope this is helpful to some of you. It doesn't hide browsing history or anything like that, but for keeping those photos private it's a very effective and workable solution. Any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

I've had a few requests for the icon I used in this tutorial. I've uploaded the full sized PNG to the gallery. Enjoy

I have uploaded the image as .icns and .ico files. This can be used as actual drive images.

and for those who use windows, i refer you to the secret cow file hiding

at least 1 picture
    files to hide
    comand prompt

ps: i don't remember if he said it in the vid, but to be 100% secure, you can also set a pasword on the rar file so even if it is found, it's contants will stay secret.

pps: do use pictures ore movies for this, because as soon as the hiding file is altered, the secret content is gone. (tryed to make a hidden diary for the ADISC related stuff in my digital diary this way. not working)