Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The world's hardest programming language...

Default The world's hardest programming language...

I was doing a bit of research for my web design class on LOLCODE, and stumbled upon brainfuck, and I speak for all us programmers out there, that this is the world's hardest programming language to code with!

As for some example brainfuck, here is the classic "hello world" program in Javascript, LOLCODE, and brainfuck.

Javascript w/ HTML tags:

LOLCODE:

and finally, brainfuck:

I think we can say that brainfuck is hard as fuck.

Ah memories...

_way_ back, I actually wrote an intermediary language with basic structure and named variables which was then compiled to bf. Was actually a quite educational experience and would recommend it to anyone looking to lose their faith in the universe for a short period of time (and learn a lot about complex state engines).

Wow, I see where it gets it's name!
    Perl's usually my weapon of choice on Linux, and I'm starting to get my head around PowerShell for Windows.

I've heard from programmers in the past that the absolute most difficult thing in the whole of software development is DMP (Distributed Memory Processing) parallel programming, for instance with MPI.
    Not because of the syntax or anything, but rather because you have to work out how to run one set of calculations efficiently across many separate physical machines. And bear in mind that each of those machines will be running multiple, possibly dozens of processes for you, each possibly with multiple threads, scaled across dozens or potentially hundreds of machines...

It makes your brain hurt if you think about it too much!

Heh, that's pretty funny. If you have a final project for that class, you should see if you can get any brownie points for doing it in brainfuck XD

I've never heard of lolcode before, is that for real??

I had a fellow adiscer borderline obsessed with Brainfuck XD
    but that is by far not the hardest. it's a pain in the ass, but fairly easy once you get used to it.

Malbolge is a public domain esoteric programming language invented by Ben Olmstead in 1998, named after the eighth circle of hell in Dante's Inferno, the Malebolge.

can't argue with a name like that.
    Malbolge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    but that is by far not the hardest. it's a pain in the ass, but fairly easy once you get used to it.

Malbolge is a public domain esoteric programming language invented by Ben Olmstead in 1998, named after the eighth circle of hell in Dante's Inferno, the Malebolge.

Cricky, all i could think looking at that was "why, just, why??!?"

Holy crap, that hello world example makes less sense than some of the multiline perl regular expressions I've seen O_o

Oh fuck no, fuck no, I know how to de-obfuscate code, but this, this is more retarded than the compilation system for C++!

Imagine just making a simple text adventure in that, that has got to be fucking hard.

Anyway, another Esoteric programming language i found is Chef This has got to be the funniest programming language I have ever seen...

Just to join in on the esoteric programming languages discussion, here's one of my favourites.

Code:

Whitespace wikipedia page

For reference, that above program is equivalent to this python program:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/python3
    name = input()
    print("Hello, {}".format(name))
    You will however need to copy the whitespace program from the quote menu to get the valid version, as vBulletin strips sequential whitespace when displaying it. Or you can see it online here.

I thought the hardest one would be just plain binary. 010001110101011110, etc.