Thread: laptop crashing :(

Default laptop crashing :(

Latley my laptop has been crashing when i play games i think its overheating but it seems so weird it never had this problem before then all of a sudden at my grandparents house it started to do this. After blowing out the dust in my laptop it seemed to stop for a bit but it quickly came back. Any one have any advice.

Well I'd suggest doing a few diagnostics on the software side of things, to rule out any causes there. So assuming you're running Windows, fire up the Event Viewer (you can just type this into the search box on the Start menu in Vista and 7) and then look at the "System" log.
    Look at the events logged immediately before the crash and see what they say. Particularly look out for any events with ID number 1001 as these indicate ay bugcheck - aka "blue screen of death".
    Feel free to reply with the details of what you find, and I'll be happy to try and help you further.

Also, if you're laptop's cooling ducts are blocked with dust, try getting an air duster (a can of compressed air). If used carefully these usually do a much better job of blowing out the dust than your lungs can!

To check if it's overheating, I usually install a program that monitors the temperature in the CPU (assuming its thermometer isn't broken). Leave that open for a while, and try to run as many intensive processes as you can while watching the temperature. Check that you got all the dust; if you're comfortable unscrewing your laptop cover, you might find there is a huge chunk of dust still stuck in there somewhere (if you're not comfortable, don't even try). You might find something meaningful in the Event Viewer in Windows to indicate whether it's truly overheating, but it's been a while since I tried using that. Sometimes it's not just dust causing overheating, but a malfunctioning fan. I once had my fan slow down (!) at higher temperatures, as if the motherboard logic was reversed. If you're not in the budget to have your computer's fan replaced, you might do well with an external laptop cooling device, but I've never used one before.

Usually the computer will simply shut down when it overheats, not crash. Is this what you meant, or are you actually seeing blue screens before it shuts down? If it's the blue screen, then my gut tells me there is something else; a messed up driver, malfunctioning security software, or malware are the most common causes for that. Also usually happens "all of a sudden". Sometimes it's hard to tell what's causing it if you can't reliably reproduce it, but if you recently made some major changes to the system (e.g. installed new software) that's the first thing I'd check. Failing that, I'd disable startup items and (if you really know what you're doing) non-Microsoft services, then selectively re-enable them until I can find the culprit.

How does it crash?

Does it just suddenly power off.. does it lock up... does it display an error?

Probably heating as you suspect, in which case I'd recommend doing a more thought clean-out if you are comfortable with it (shop vac around the ducts, open it up to get the spots where dust collects, especially around the heat sinks).

Do you hear any weird motor noises.. does it sounds like something spins up then stops.. spins up.. stops. If so, a cooling fan might be on it's way out.

Might also want to invest in a laptop cooling pad. They do make a slight difference.

As others have said, install some monitoring software and see what your temps are. If it's not overheating, it could be any number of things including power supply, ram, or any dying component (hard drive, video card).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    How does it crash?

Does it just suddenly power off.. does it lock up... does it display an error?

Probably heating as you suspect, in which case I'd recommend doing a more thought clean-out if you are comfortable with it (shop vac around the ducts, open it up to get the spots where dust collects, especially around the heat sinks).

Do you hear any weird motor noises.. does it sounds like something spins up then stops.. spins up.. stops. If so, a cooling fan might be on it's way out.

Might also want to invest in a laptop cooling pad. They do make a slight difference.

As others have said, install some monitoring software and see what your temps are. If it's not overheating, it could be any number of things including power supply, ram, or any dying component (hard drive, video card).
    just suddenly shuts down

Supersam1223

What CPU do you have?

The idea about overheating is indeed possible, but how did you clean out the dust? You may have to open the laptop up to expose the CPU fan and blow it out really good. Also, the fan could be failing, which would make it seem the fan is running but not drawing an adequate amount of air through.