Thread: What is the best Cloth Diaper?

Default What is the best Cloth Diaper?

I've only tried one cloth diaper and it was from Nicediaper.com.

I didn't really like it and it barely held any wetting.

Are cloth diapers better than disposables??

If so, which should I get?

How do I go about sizing?

Where should I get them from?

I was looking at this site Adultclothdiaper.com

Has anyone ever bought from here?

What is the difference between terry, birdseye, flannel, and gauze?

which feels the best and is most babyish? Most absorbent?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

Cloth diapers are absolutely better than disposable.

First, let me direct you to the All About Cloth Diapers article. There's some good stuff in there.

From there, I'm a big fan of adultclothdiaper.com, and all of my cloth diaper and most of my plastic pants came from there. I personally like the flat squares, that I layer and fold (using the kite fold) to my specification. I bought Mr. X several of the layered pre-folds, and he really likes them.

It's worth noting a couple of things regarding absorbency, though. First, it does take more cloth, in terms of thickness, to get the same level of absorbency (by about a factor of 3:2 using my completely unscientific method of how much I feel as though I wet). Second, cloth needs to be washed a few times before it reaches its full absorbent capacity. The fibers have natural oils that need to be stripped out before they'll hold as much as they can. So, if you just got the nicediaper thing out of the package and put it on, well, you were not getting nearly the best experience you could have. Whatever thing you buy, wash them once, then wear them. And, they'll get better over the next few washings, too. Speaking of nicediaper.com, I've never used their stuff, but I've heard pretty mixed reviews. I will speak highly of adultclothdiaper.com, though.

Check previous posts on this site. You'll also find a lot of this information on google or another search engine. I have a lot of experience with cloth, but I'll try and keep it brief.

Positives: more absorbent, better for the environment (some people will debate this), mix and match styles and absorbency to your taste, quiet, cheaper over time and more comfortable (if you can find a good fit).

Negatives: cost is higher up front, far bulkier, must find a comfortable waterproof pant, more of a hassle to store (used and clean), need to wash and dry every 3 days and messes are a pain to clean up.

Some of the better websites to purchase from are Adult Cloth Diaper, Changing Times, Angel Fluff and KINS (babykins). Purchase a small order and read the sizing information carefully. It's really trial and error since everyone has a different body and different preferences. Look up Gauze, Flannel, Terry and Birdseye diapers and you'll find the information there.

Here's my preference. I prefer a Flannel Diaper from KINS or a Gauze Diaper from Changing Times. Gary plastic pants are my favorites and I prefer the no-wick design (great at stopping leaks) and the print designs. I also wear a booster pad from KINS in all my cloth diapers (a double booster at night). Hope that helps.

edit: Almost forgot pins. I've bought some good ones recently from Wal-Mart, but you can get them from many brick and mortar stores. Also, I like to use four pins (two on a side) like a disposable has because it provides a snugger fit.

Hi bbabysitter26.

I have to be brief so will just say: AdultClothDiaper.com has a good selection of diapers and accessories, and they are generally well-liked. I use their prefold diapers, pins (baby size), and bikini-fit plastic pants. My favorite prefold diaper so far comes from Changing Times Diaper Co., however, mainly because the construction (no serging on the sides) and quilted appearance are most like the diapers I wore as a child. In fact, they are precisely a scaled-up baby's prefold. On top of that, they're less expensive, so for me it's a win-win. But the AdultClothDiaper.com prefolds are great too. In fact, with the terrycloth soaker, I think the AdultClothDiaper.com prefolds (nighttime weight) are a little more absorbent, although I've never had absorbency problems with either.

Best,
    LL

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Positives: more absorbent, better for the environment (some people will debate this), mix and match styles and absorbency to your taste, quiet, cheaper over time and more comfortable (if you can find a good fit).
    Good stuff. In terms of the environmental stuff, I'll point out "An Updated Lifecycle Assessment Study for Disposable and Reusable Nappies", a study released by the UK Environment Agency. Basically, they looked at a theoretical kid in diapers full-time for the first 2.5 years of life. They accounted for wash machine efficiencies, transportation factors, manufacturing, et cetera et cetera. The gist of it was that cloth, if washed at 60 C (medium temp rather than the hottest temp) and line dried, cloth could be as much as 40 percent more environmentally friendly, even accounting for the extra energy use of washing.

Sorry, haven't tried cloth diapers myself but I am quite interested, and it might be the best place to ask: have any of you tried the trainers from veryspecialclothing.com? I've been wondering around the page and I find some designs really cute but I don't know about efficacy.

Quote Originally Posted by WiLiKi View Post
    Sorry, haven't tried cloth diapers myself but I am quite interested, and it might be the best place to ask: have any of you tried the trainers from veryspecialclothing.com? I've been wondering around the page and I find some designs really cute but I don't know about efficacy.
    Trainers typically are cute, and they're kinda fun to wear in place of regular underwear, but they are not diapers, and they should not be treated as a replacement. They're simply too thin to really have too much absorbency. They're meant more to mimic the training pants a toddler might wear as he "mostly gets" potty training, to sort of help catch any minor mishaps, but not a full-wetting.

Think of a trainer as its own piece of ABDL wear, one that is enjoyable in its own right, as long as you realize that it's not a diaper.

I'm a regular customer of AdultClothDiaper Co. I prefer the gauze pre-fold night weight. I buy and use the Leakmaster high back plastic pants. This is my preference, but may not be for others. I like the diapers because they are thick, soft and absorbent.

My cloth diapers came from babykins (Baby Cloth Diapers, Adult Cloth Diapers and accessories.). I'll buy from them again.

One note about absorbency: do NOT use fabric softener when you wash them. It decreases absorbency.