Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the monster has died! (DADT finally taken down)

Default the monster has died! (DADT finally taken down)

ok, how is it i am the first one to mention this....

im not even a US citizen..

heres the drill DADT (dont ask dont tell) as i understand has been removed, the army seems to be just trying to make sure as little fuss is made... people are coming out, celebrating, its all good.
    for those who didnt know what dont ask dont tell is, it essentially means that they wont ask you if your gay, but if you say that you are, you would be booted out of the army.

Quote Originally Posted by BandNerd View Post
    I think its great that DADT has been done with, but it was taken down last year.
    Don't ask, don't tell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The legislation was passed last year, but DADT remained an enforceable law until today.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BandNerd View Post
    I think its great that DADT has been done with, but it was taken down last year.
    Don't ask, don't tell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Did you even read that before linking it? Very first words:

"Don't ask, don't tell" (DADT) was the official United States policy on homosexuals serving in the military from December 21, 1993 to September 20, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    The legislation was passed last year, but DADT remained an enforceable law until today.
    Sorry about that. I will remember to check my facts next time.

Butterfly Mage

Just a side note: President Obama *could* have revoked DADT by executive order any time he saw fit. That is how the anti-black discrimination was originally lifted for the military. However, President Obama chose instead to sign a flawed bill that could have (in theory) been in pending status until Doomsday. So you can thank the Pentagon leaders for having more balls than the President.

That said, I'm extremely happy that this shameful piece of discriminatory legislation is finally history. (Note to John McCain: How's it feel to be on the wrong side of history?)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Just a side note: President Obama *could* have revoked DADT by executive order any time he saw fit. That is how the anti-black discrimination was originally lifted for the military.
    DADT was a law enacted by Congress. Obama could have ordered the military to stop enforcing the law, but that wouldn't take it off the books. I suspect this was the constitutional scholar in him talking. Some politicians will take any route to the end goal. Obama wanted to take the right one. Considering it worked, I can't complain. Especially since doing it through an act of Congress adds a layer of legitimacy by removing the law itself rather than just refusing to enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    However, President Obama chose instead to sign a flawed bill that could have (in theory) been in pending status until Doomsday. So you can thank the Pentagon leaders for having more balls than the President.
    I'm going to call you on this one. Obama isn't an idiot, and you don't get to be President without being extremely shrewd. He signed that bill knowing damn well he had all the signatures on it that it would need. As a result, the bill was certified by the joint chiefs as having no negative repercussions for military readiness or combat effectiveness. This way, when someone challenges him in the next Presidential debate that "you passed a bill which will undermine military readiness," he doesn't have to respond with a philosophical stance the public may or may not take. He can say before we did this, the people in the military both in command and in the trenches said otherwise.

Very good point NightFox. It's gong to be an ugly election campaign, and every said will be measured. Truth and getting things done always takes a back seat. You're right. That's why it took so long, and had to be done the way it was. Listening to NPR, they said the transition went very well, and the soldiers were taking it well.

yes i remember the trhread saying it was technically repealed a whle ago but im noting the day the legislation haad properly died i.e last week, besides.. the last thread on DADT was too old and it had been locked so i couldnt ressurect it.

I don't see how this turn of events can be called a massive blow for social justice. It does not change the prevailing military culture while it is heartening it can still be replaced with something worse. Really can't say enough bad things about the President on this issue a stronger statement was needed much earlier. By making noncommittal statements now he doesn't say "I'm a strong Leader" he says "my ass is on the line in November 2012 please help"

Important question will I (again) vote for a bad democrat to keep another Texas Governor out of the White House? Probably but not with any particular relish or joy? 50 years ago when Civil Rights for African Americans was the next frontier of Social Justice it didn't stop Eisenhower Kennedy and Johnstone from making statements at least to the effect of This is the new policy and it will be implemented.

I understand why you guys are happy...
    BUT lots of people are slightly disturbed by working with gay people, this rule however ensures that everyone is comfortable with the people they work with. Personally if I was in the army and gay this rule would be a lifesaver, imagine if it was like that with parents and ABDLism.
    Your parents won't ask and in turn you don't tell...

but the key thing about this rule of ZDADT is that if you were revealed to be gay you were kicked out of the armed forces

thats why this is good,