Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really getting tired of it...

Thumbs down Really getting tired of it...

yeah... another religion topic.

Okay... there are hundreds of different religions in the world. Each one of them has their own set of beliefs, practices, etc.

And then you get people who have to force their stuff on other people. Be it christians, atheists, or even muslims, you're going to encounter somebody who wants to force their religion (or a lack thereof) onto somebody else.

I just can't understand it... nobody has any solid proof of anything that happens after a person dies. there doesn't seem to be any point whatsoever in bickering over who is more right about something nobody can definitively know the answer to in this day and age.

Now, i really don't have much of a problem with this. They can just go mind their own business and argue amongst themselves; just don't get me mixed up in it, because i really could not care less.

The point where i draw the line is when anybody starts to invade other people's privacy, when people start to get harassed because they're different. NOBODY can be better than someone else, for the simple reason that they aren't the same as you.

And honestly, if you really can't stand the thought of living in the same country as another group of people, then LEAVE. GTFO.
    Alas, this isn't the case. Instead, people insist on trying to make others like them, even if said people don't want to be.

I don't know... it's really, really angering to think that people are as incapable of tolerance as they act, and sometimes, i just want to throttle the life out of them.

this shit has got to stop.

Tl;dr- tolerance. use it.

(i try to come across as clearly as i can, but sometimes it doesn't work as well as i'd like.) please comment with your opinion. 'tis welcomed.

Non-belief is just the only way to go. I don't care which imaginary dude in the sky you pray to. I find them all equally worthy of contempt. I will make special mention for thor "My God Carries a Hammer your God is nailed to a cross" Any questions is a good demotivational poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Non-belief is just the only way to go. I don't care which imaginary dude in the sky you pray to. I find them all equally worthy of contempt. I will make special mention for thor "My God Carries a Hammer your God is nailed to a cross" Any questions is a good demotivational poster.
    Truth be told, the above statement puts you in the same category as any religious zealot.

While I am a Theist, and have a religion I am comfortable with, I am of the same note with the OP. I don't go looking for converts or try to push my religion upon anyone else, including the Athiest next door who holds himself up to that pillar like any good Evangelical preacher.

On the other hand, If you show up to my door with the intent to prosyletize your religion upon me.. you'd better be prepared, you won't leave with your previously held beliefs intact.

I've had more than one Jehovas' Witness change their views of religion entirely after calling at my doorstep.

Honestly, Unlike when I was much younger, I cannot hold judgement upon anothers' belief. Its their right to believe as they choose, or not.

As far as what happens when we die, do we come to nothing? Is there a heaven or hell? i dunno for sure, and I certainly won't make hard statements as to the existance of God, Gods or NoGod. at this point in time, none of those arguments could possibly be proven or disproven to the satisfaction of all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    And then you get people who have to force their stuff on other people. Be it christians, atheists, or even muslims, you're going to encounter somebody who wants to force their religion (or a lack thereof) onto somebody else.
    Agreed. Personally, I think that saying, say Muslims deserve our contempt or Christians deserve our contempt or whathaveyou is really no different from non-theists who say all religions are worthy of contempt. For some reason, people tend to speak up against the first two kinds of hate but not the latter. Of course, people saying each of those three statements will usually recognize the other two as hate speech without an issue, but will rationalize away their own hatred. Hate is disgusting- even if the people it's aimed at truly deserve it. And in the vast majority of cases, they don't.

Everyone should worship the way they want- our differences make us stronger, and open dialogue about our beliefs can only advance us in a journey to wholeness. I tend to classify this as "your right to swing your fist ends where my face begins" territory. Live and let live.

I made a thread on the topic a year or so ago. The reaction was mixed. Granted, I wasn't in my most diplomatic of moods when I did so.

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    I've had more than one Jehovas' Witness change their views of religion entirely after calling at my doorstep.
    I'd like to know how you do this. While I don't deal with JWs, I often come out to bi as someone and soon after they approach me asking if they can talk to me about Jesus Christ. It may be a different discussion, but they both anti-process.

One guy once told me (when I countered with science, as usual) that when he was growing up, his parents didn't have money to buy him an encyclopedia, so they bought him a bible. Wow, was that tempting to go at.

I must say I agree with OP, it just grinds my gears so much when politicians do this or base their campaign around this. I am an atheist and I think all religions are illogical, but I am fine with people believing in them. Just so long as they don't lie about scientific facts to justify their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by sheimi View Post
    I must say I agree with OP, it just grinds my gears so much when politicians do this or base their campaign around this. I am an atheist and I think all religions are illogical, but I am fine with people believing in them. Just so long as they don't lie about scientific facts to justify their beliefs.
    exactly. one thing that actually makes me laugh every time i think about it is how creationists don't want their kids to learn about evolution, despite the fact that it's a well-researched theory with overwhelming evidence behind it, and has also been DIRECTLY observed in some species. *science*

I personally dont see a problem with looking for converts. in some faiths its commanded. there is however a difference between pushing you faith once you have been told in clear terms to stop and looking for converts...I am LDS/Mormon and my faith dictates that we try to and teach people. we cant force people to believe but for those that are willing to listen to a lesson from a missionary, they will eventually here the words: why dont you pray about it. see if this is the true church? Still i recognize that the just the very idea that Latter Day Saints have missionaries that go out to spread the gospel, irritates people and while understanding that, we ask for the same understanding that what we do is not meant to offend and we dont pretend that we can force people to convert or have faith. we believe very much in Free Agency which is essentially free will to make your own choices...

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    Truth be told, the above statement puts you in the same category as any religious zealot.
    No it doesn't as a person who doesn't hold with the idea of a God it would be hypocritical of me to go around making exceptions. I'm not going to say just because I was bought up as a Christian and am more comfortable with the Jesus story that I think its less crazier then Islam or Scientology. Again you're confusing non-belief in a God with an absence of belief in anything. And my statement probably was a flippant and arrogant but no less so

then

"I've had more than one Jehovas' Witness change their views of religion entirely after calling at my doorstep" really a few minutes with you and they overcame a lifetime of social pressure and cultural indoctrination?

Well glory Hallelujah pass the biscuits.

An easy test is define for me a moral action someone would not have undertaken if they were not a believer?
    conversely define for me a immoral action that can be done in the name of God.

Which one of these two will it be easier to do?

I don't blame the theist for needing a good feeling when it comes to religious beliefs/structure but religions particularly Christianity and Islam set themselves up as providing Jesus/Allah as an answer to all of life's problems the ultimate cosmic Mad-Lib.

I'll grant you it is a contradiction non-believers are held to a double standard they have to hold their beliefs in the privacy of their own homes or respective internet forums whereas going forth to spread the good news of Jesus Christ is a key part of the Christan Faith. So the proposition that we can all live in peace is a fine idea but I don't think its good in the long term. True eventually we could colonize planets and every religion would get one but we would be exporting our problems not solving them.

I would post more but I am sleepy. Excellent thread guys.

I don't try to 'push' Christianity on anyone, but i do get offended by Atheists who insult Christians because they believe 'in a made up story' or because 'science has disproved... blah blah and that we must be idiots'. It is statements like that that irritate me and make me step up and say something. Believe whatever you want. I don't care. But insult me and what i believe in and i can guarantee you... I am going to be pushy.

can we not make this into a rage thread pls?
    its a touchy subject, i know, but it would really be beneficial if everyone could remain objective.