Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would the world may like without money?

Default What would the world may like without money?

I've noticed that money can do bad things to certain people like it can break apart some families, it can cause some crime, can cause a great depression and also without it can cause people to be homeless. I had some thoughts on what the world may be like with out money.

I think that without money obviously everything would be completly free espcially having free homes, vehicles, food, ect. If all that was free then there maybe a few added laws like for each family to get a certain amount of food that would be good enough for the family for one week. To prevent a person from taking more than what they need the amount of their food would have to be documented from the store or maybe a person would carry a card to keep track of the things the person gets so that way everyone gets there share of food. And then When a child of the family Turns 18 can have a card of their own for food until they have a family of there own. Each family would have to get a new card every year or until they get a new member in the family. This might help some over weight people too since there is a limited amount that the family can get. For Vehicles It would only be one vehicle per Adult or is at the driving age. For homes it be one per family or adult. Another law would be that every one at the age of 18 or older would have to have a job unless they have a disability or is retired. Lastly for college any one can have a choice to go to college if they want to have specific job or dream job since it may require more education for it.

So pretty much this would be like what we have today just a couple new laws and no money, I think this would lessen up crime since there wouldnt be anything to steal when everything is free. It might bring families closer together when there is no stress of having two jobs or worried about being poor. No one wouldn't be homeless.

What do you think? Do you think that money can be a bad thing or a good thing and what would you think the world would be like without money?

What constitutes 'fair share'?

Who determines who deserved a decent computer?

Who is going to develop things? Why?

Pure communism (Which is basically what you're suggesting) is all well and good in theory, but who's going to manage it? How are they going to determine who does what work, for what resources? How do you ensure everyone is getting their fair share? How do you guarantee that every person is pulling their fair share of the work? Why wouldn't the people doing the highly stressful task of managing this new 'moneyless' economy get a bigger share, after all, they're doing one of the more important tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by angelfallenfar View Post
    What constitutes 'fair share'?

Who determines who deserved a decent computer?

Who is going to develop things? Why?

Pure communism (Which is basically what you're suggesting) is all well and good in theory, but who's going to manage it? How are they going to determine who does what work, for what resources? How do you ensure everyone is getting their fair share? How do you guarantee that every person is pulling their fair share of the work? Why wouldn't the people doing the highly stressful task of managing this new 'moneyless' economy get a bigger share, after all, they're doing one of the more important tasks.
    I think Everyone would have there fair share by newer laws. For People that are doing the highly stressful task of managing all this maybe A person can be voted like the president or political leader. The main satisfaction of managing all this is seeing the peace thats in the economy. Im very sure that people would like to choose to become part of the goverment or would like to be president or anything else. Pretty much the world would run the same way but without money. This is a very good question and hopefully i answerd right. =D But Just thinking of all the positive changes that may happen from it seems a bit peaceful. It May be stressful for the one in charge of everything but like with alot of jobs now a days involve stress, same way as being a doctor trying to save a patient or being a police officer or firefighter to save ones life. But every one of them jobs have somethin positive it can make a person feel important almost like a hero or knowing that they done something right.

i'm horrible with expressing my thoughts through words alone, but here goes...

if you have everyone in the economy doing their job for a "fair share" of the overall product, then you need a way to guarantee that people will do the work, i.e. a reward system. now, if one person has more of (insert anything here), then there will be someone else who wants it. you'd need a way to keep track of who has what. this is essentially what Currency/money is.

now, if you didn't reinforce the system with anything, everyone would get their fair share no matter if they worked or not. you'd need EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE to do their job, based on what is essentially the honor system.
    there will be people who screw it up. this cannot be changed.

i don't really know if that explains it, so ask if it doesn't make sense or if you see anything wrong with it.

The problem with Communism (the ideal you're suggeesting) is that there is no incentive to achieve more. In other words, the mindset becomes "I'll get everything free anyway, so I'll do the bare minimum". Human Greed and Lazyness takes over. Profits from Capitalism give incentives. The mindset becomes "If I try harder, I can get a promotion/raise and make more money". Sure, Human Greed is still there, but it harneses it into something productive. It is why our health care is the best in the world, even if it is expensive, but communism health care is horrible, even though it's free.

However, my friend Jaymond is looking for signups for a genetic experiment he's planning on attempting in the middle of africa in order to take away Man's free will, so you can have a perfect Communist world. (I kid you not, he's already looking at real estate).

I think Everyone would have there fair share by newer laws.
    You have a highly idealized version of the way the world works or the way you believe it should work. So did Karl Marx. That's the problem. How we want the world to work and how it winds up working are never the same thing. And the reason for that is there is always one person who, like you, thinks the world should work a certain way and is willing to abuse or dismiss the current system to pursue their way of thinking.

George Orwell's Animal Farm illustrates this point quite nicely.

I think, in theory, if you could completely automate manufacturing, etc (basically everything except purely curiosity or interest driven endeavours) with machines, a system without money would be workable. In that kind of system, you would still have software developers, scientists, and others which are very difficult to replace with machines simply because some humans feel compelled to do these regardless of monetary incentives (the free/open source software community, for instance). Critically, however, you would also need a reasonably limitless energy source. Most difficulties we face at the moment, most limitations on expansion and automation, are down to energy requirements. These are two tricky to crack problems, but if they were solved, I see no reason in principle why a world without money couldn't function.

Have you ever read the book For Us, The Living: A Comedy of Customs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of your ideas are depicted in this novel. This would be an almost Utopian society. However, like many have stated before me, human nature would destroy this ideal in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by snydead View Post
    I've noticed that money can do bad things to certain people like it can break apart some families, it can cause some crime, can cause a great depression and also without it can cause people to be homeless. I had some thoughts on what the world may be like with out money.

I think that without money obviously everything would be completly free espcially having free homes, vehicles, food, ect. If all that was free then there maybe a few added laws like for each family to get a certain amount of food that would be good enough for the family for one week. To prevent a person from taking more than what they need the amount of their food would have to be documented from the store or maybe a person would carry a card to keep track of the things the person gets so that way everyone gets there share of food. And then When a child of the family Turns 18 can have a card of their own for food until they have a family of there own. Each family would have to get a new card every year or until they get a new member in the family. This might help some over weight people too since there is a limited amount that the family can get. For Vehicles It would only be one vehicle per Adult or is at the driving age. For homes it be one per family or adult. Another law would be that every one at the age of 18 or older would have to have a job unless they have a disability or is retired. Lastly for college any one can have a choice to go to college if they want to have specific job or dream job since it may require more education for it.

So pretty much this would be like what we have today just a couple new laws and no money, I think this would lessen up crime since there wouldnt be anything to steal when everything is free. It might bring families closer together when there is no stress of having two jobs or worried about being poor. No one wouldn't be homeless.

What do you think? Do you think that money can be a bad thing or a good thing and what would you think the world would be like without money?
    Without money things would just be more complicated. It's not the money that possesses people. It's the value of it. Just like cars have value and food has values. Without money people would just be trading food for service and trading food for bikes and trading bikes for cars. It wouild be crazy. Can you imagine trading your car for a bunch of useless stuff you have to trade again just to eventually get the things you want out of it. That's why we need something to represent value. Enter money.

But, there will always be value and the lust for it. I wouldn't blame the money. I'd blame the people.

Quote Originally Posted by RoaldWolf View Post
    Without money things would just be more complicated.
    as complicated as they were before money?

as that suggests, a world without money wouldn't be the world we know today. most jobs and goods would disappear as they are derived from the current system.