Thread: Zero Punctuation & other game reviewers/critics

Default Zero Punctuation & other game reviewers/critics

What do you think of game reviewers/critics? Do you agree or disagree with their opinions?

I did a thread about Zero Punctuation awhile back & it is locked now, since he is a well-known critic & has a very good following on The Escapist site with his reviews, what do you think of him?

Me, I think his reviews are funny & well done!! Even the ones where he "bashes" games I like, I still laugh at his review of it!! It is his style, the fast talking & the presentation he does with all his animations & other stuff too!! I also love his little imps he uses, they are so funny & well, cute too!!

Regarding ZP there is probably more thruth beneath than in most regular reviews which are able to give 9/10 to the most boring and shit games ever. Plus I tend to agree with Yahtzee and know what I could like even if he bashes it.
    I also enjoy reviews on Ars or RPS (which is my main only source for gaming related news).
    Probably because they just write down how it felt to play the game and how its mechanics work out instead of giving a stupid number and/or being paid to write PR bullshit.

//rockpapershotgun

ZP is hilarious to watch. I often do agree with his critiques. However I'm hesitant to my sole resource to determine if I buy a given game or not even if he does bash it.

Zero Punctuation is pretty funny, and for genres Yahtzee likes, it's usually pretty close to my own opinion of the games. On the other hand though, when he ventures onto other genres, he tends to just bash the game because it's not his thing. It's also good entertainment too.

For indie games, I also quite like TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" videos on YouTube. While they aren't reviews per se, they do give an idea of what you'll see when playing the game, so they're often more useful than reviews. He rarely does more popular games though.

And finally, as Walex mentioned, Ars and Rock Paper Shotgun tend to be pretty good too.

I always go for the IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers Tri-fecta when watching game reviews if for no other reason they are prompt and post video reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    For indie games, I also quite like TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" videos on YouTube. While they aren't reviews per se, they do give an idea of what you'll see when playing the game, so they're often more useful than reviews. He rarely does more popular games though.
    Oh yes, I forgot. Those are actually great, especially because he tends to look at indie games and usually has a good opinion of what is fun and what is not. (commentating/playing SC2 and thinking of Deus Ex as the best game ever made also puts him very close to my general taste in game mechanics)