Thread: I think I've just been converted to .... Kindle-ism

Default I think I've just been converted to .... Kindle-ism

Ok, so most of you already know I am an odd duck to say the least.

Perhaps my username should be changed to Mr. Ambiguous?

Ah, but I digress, as much of a tech geek I am I just cannot let go of days gone by. Nostalgia be thy name. I like the feel and smell of a book, am an avid reader, and was raised by my Grandfather (God rest his soul for he left us but a month ago) who taught English for thirty years.
    However, I may have recently changed my world view radically!

Yes here comes Mr. Hyperbole!

I saw a novel I wanted to dive into and that it was available as an ebook on Kindle. I thought to myself, Gee I have a smart phone with many lovely features that I have yet to use. One of which is Kindle software, so I bit the bullet (Literally, as I find them quite tasty and nearly chipped a tooth, *sigh* but I digress once more.) and downloaded the book in question while my Son and I sat at a Hospice workshop in which he made a teddy bear out of one of Granddad's old shirts to assist in his grieving process.

I also downloaded the Kindle reader for my computer and greatly appreciated that it told me that my android had reached a further point and asked if I wanted to advance the computer reader to that page.

I still have a dream of living in a home with a study which I always envisioned having floor to ceiling bookshelves for my private library, but perhaps it will simply be a chair and couch with several ebook readers for family and guests.

Have you ever had a vision change by advancing times and technology? (e.g. anyone go from vast collections of vinyl to a single I pod?)
    Has this been a positive or negative experience?
    Last edited by Khaymen; 18-Sep-2011 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Have you ever had a vision change by advancing times and technology? (e.g. anyone go from vast collections of vinyl to a single I pod?)
    Has this been a positive or negative experience?
    i could dwell on the negatives all day, but one negative seems to have become a positive: the E-big-brother. bear in mind that i've spanned an age whence our phoneline was manually tapped through to this age, where, theoretically, every phoneline is tapped, and the information overload for the monitoring bodies makes quirks such as ours appear very trivial. of course, that's not to say that information about us isn't collected and stored and may one day come back to haunt us, it's just that there's so much stuff and so much other 'crazy' stuff that we barely feature on the horizon.
    the sense of anonymity among this madding crowd is sort of liberating, though how momentary it turns out to be is yet to be known.

a consistantly positive experience, though, is that as relates to tools and materials technology. the advance in both (as one is made from the other ) and the lowering costs of both have served me well, no end. back in the olden days, cheap tools also meant cheap quality tools that would break with just a glance. nowadays, even the cheap stuff is good enough to at least complete a job. of course, there's an irony in that things which would once need repairing regularly are also made from the newer materials and so require less repairing, making the purchase of tools more of a ponder.
    despite that, whenever i've had the chance over the last decade and more, i've bought tools as 'better safe than sorry'.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    I saw a novel I wanted to dive into and that it was available as an ebook on Kindle. I thought to myself, Gee I have a smart phone with many lovely features that I have yet to use. One of which is Kindle software, so I bit the bullet (Literally, as I find them quite tasty and nearly chipped a tooth, *sigh* but I digress once more.) and downloaded the book in question while my Son and I sat at a Hospice workshop in which he made a teddy bear out of one of Granddad's old shirts to assist in his grieving process.

I also downloaded the Kindle reader for my computer and greatly appreciated that it told me that my android had reached a further point and asked if I wanted to advance the computer reader to that page.

I still have a dream of living in a home with a study which I always envisioned having floor to ceiling bookshelves for my private library, but perhaps it will simply be a chair and couch with several ebook readers for family and guests.
    Yeah Kindle is great!
    Since I started using it last year I've completely stopped buying paper books (not that I bought many anyway). The immediacy of Kindle has also led me to read more than I used to as well.